2010 Mens World Championships Selection Policy

Fitzy

Underpaid
I was just perusing the TBS (typical bowling sites - ;)) and noticed that TBA has released the selection policy for the 2010 Mens World Championships.

Thought I'd post here a quick note so that the TB members that are likely to put themselves up for selection know about the selection policy.

Great to see TBA moving the sport in a positive direction.

Well done Cara and TBA!!

Cheers,

Have read it and its very interesting selection policy.

Given that they are taking top ranked, bowlers from a rolloff, and even positions purely from selection, very fair and equal process i think.

Well done guys!

I find it odd that they have announced this criteria (11 August 2009) but they are taking results from July 2009. Shouldn't the criteria start from the next ranked event? There are alot of events between now and end (30 April 2009)

There have already been 2 ranked events in that time. Anyone that didn't compete in these 2 events maybe at a disadvantage.

Also at the time of one of these events some of Australia's more talanted bowlers where over at the High Roller and Bowl Expo. These bowlers now have not been given the choice on whether to compete in these events or not.

I think that this a good idea, but I don't think you should be using events that have already run.

I think we should all be congratulating Cara and TBA on a well thought out selection policy that provides the avenue for all who wish to represent this country to do so.

Our two world company elite bowlers Belmo and Frawls are catered for seeing they don't compete here on the national circuit regularly these days and we should get the form bowlers on the national circuit to provide a very capable team.

If you wanted to represent your country then you have just been dealt the hand that provides you with the chance. Its now up to you.

Having thought about this some more now.

Why would they back date their selection to July and not back to 1st May 2009? The selection criteria finishes on 30th April 2010. This would round it out to a full year.

The way it is they have managed to skip the K&K. (the highest number of bowlers competing in a nationally ranked event this year)

Melbourne Cup and Arafura are also not included.

I think we should all be congratulating Cara and TBA on a well thought out selection policy that provides the avenue for all who wish to represent this country to do so.

Our two world company elite bowlers Belmo and Frawls are catered for seeing they don't compete here on the national circuit regularly these days and we should get the form bowlers on the national circuit to provide a very capable team.

If you wanted to represent your country then you have just been dealt the hand that provides you with the chance. Its now up to you.

I wasn't refering to Belmo or Frawls. There where other bowlers away then as well.

I have no intrest in representing Australia at all.

Instead of coming up with ways to select the Australian team. I wish TBA would spend that time finding a way to get the best Australian team to Germany with no cost to the bowlers!

Munich is a great place, i will be there around the same time for work i might go and see the guys and cheer :)

Shayne, with respect, I think you might be making an assumption that gives little credit to the TBA - whilst little publicity or open comment is being given to the effort it is no doubt extremely likely they are doing whatever they can to source funding to help off set National team members contributions.

Both Chris and Cara know full well the personal financial cost to players and team management whenever an overseas trip comes up. I managed a half dozen Australian Teams during the late 1980's early 1990's and Cara was ever present - at a sizable cost to her family's bank account...so there is no doubt that Cara will have long memories of the experience - and Chris Batson as well given he made a number of teams during his career.

Good and clear thinking people like Cara and Chris don't usually forget where they have come from Shayne - and what degree of personal cost was made to get where they are now.

Steve

It's fantastic what Cara and Chris have done in the past and the personal sacrafice they have made to do what they love.

My point is that there are ways to fully fund a national team. Hard desisions would be needed to be made on this issue and they would prove to be unpopular with some of the bowling comunity.

If TBA was to announce that the next mens/womens team going over seas was fully funded, almost every bowler in Australia would put their hand up for selection...... then a selection criteria would be relavent. And then and only then would we get the best Australian team availible, not who can aford it that year.

I have gone off topic here unfortunitly.
The very original reason that I posted was that I was confused on why TBA has back dated there secection criteria to 01 July 2009 and not 01 May 2009. But I still think back dating is poor decision.

I believe its a great selection criteria, and it's the bowlers best four results from the ranked events they have to compete in. There is no disadvantage if the bowlers wanting selection as there is plenty more events to get their 4 events plus the Australian Masters in by the date deadline.

Congratulations to TBA and Cara for a positive step forward for the sport of tenpin bowling

Look I think the criteria is great because it allows the two best bowlers over the course of the year to get selection. What this does is get all that want to be in the team turn up to every tournament that counts. Higher fields as a result. I said before Belmo and Frawls would be the 2 given exceptional circumstances and they have good reason. It could also be if a top bowler was injured for a year and comes back but not bowl enough tournaments or not make the trials in time. The TBA can take the risk to pick them knowing of the bowlers reputation. This is a better way to go and I think the TBA has taken a step in the right direction.

Oh by the way TBA, you dont suppose you got my TBA card for 09 do you?

Look I think the criteria is great because it allows the two best bowlers over the course of the year to get selection. What this does is get all that want to be in the team turn up to every tournament that counts. Higher fields as a result.

This is where I believe that the selection criteria is flawed. Only the bowlers that can afford to go to ranked events and Germany will see this selection criteria as a positive.

This is not going to increase numbers at ranked events in the next 9 months.

There is also no garantee that your 2 best bowlers will even be intrested in the Austrlian team.

I got a response to my "Where is my TBA card" at the end of my last message on this thread. John Coxon has informed me that my transaction was entered on the 6/8/09, 5 months after it was sent in.

Yes that is a little late but I appreciate that the TBA sent me an email and said my membership will be in the mail by the end of the month.

TBA is going in a positive direction. :)

Must clarify my last post, the TBA had my details in the database already but only now has sent my TBA card out. Apologies

Back
Top Bottom