2008 Australian Youth Team

Matt says:

"Seems that the Aus team will be made up of people who can afford it and perhaps not the best bowlers"

I take exception to these comments.

I was referring to Matt's downgrading an athlete's ability because he/she "can afford it" statements. Bottom line, none of them can afford it! They choose to make sacrifices.

How can I allow my kids Belmo.......they're adults and make their own choices.

Leanne.

Matt says:

Leanne.

Sorry your right...Keep forgetting im getting older too, like everyone else :)

Ill rephrase

How can THEY allow other people get a free ride and THEY have to pay full!!!

Belmo

Matt says:
"Seems that the Aus team will be made up of people who can afford it and perhaps not the best bowlers"
I take exception to these comments.
I was referring to Matt's downgrading an athlete's ability because he/she "can afford it" statements. Bottom line, none of them can afford it! They choose to make sacrifices.
Leanne.

excuse me i wasnt downgrading anyone i was saying that the people who can afford to go will.

for exmaple what if the best youth bowler in the country could not come up with 6k in 6 weeks, he wouldnt be able to go simple!!

I want to know what sacrifices that can make for 6k in 6 weeks. Its alot of money which ever way you look at.

Leanne,

I agree that the bowlers are willing to make sacrifices to make an Australian team and think they should have to, however some ppl (i would expect alot), no matter how many sacrifices they made, didnt go out, worked 2 jobs etc would struggle to come up with $6000 in 6 weeks, especially if they are not living at home and have everyday living expenses.

I understand the TBA are short on funds but the problem is the little time they have given to raise a significant amount of money. If the team was selected even a squad selected 6 months ago and everyone was advised that this is the fee least it allows more time for fund raising etc.

To expect bowlers to come up with $6000 in six weeks is just not achievable by many.

Anyway think i have had enough to say on this topic, so hope it all works out for all. I am just concerned a precendent is being set.

And I agree with everything you say. My ref all along has been re "perhaps not the best bowlers", and that could be said of any selected team.......depending on your personal choice.

The comment is not appropriate to tag on the bowlers. Yes I am being stubborn but everytime a post comes on totalbowling lately it is a negative approach to the bowlers.

The National Sporting Organisation has problems, have a go.

The people holding it together are the "lovers" of the game. Stop knocking.

And I agree with everything you say. My ref all along has been re "perhaps not the best bowlers", and that could be said of any selected team.......depending on your personal choice.
The comment is not appropriate to tag on the bowlers. Yes I am being stubborn but everytime a post comes on totalbowling lately it is a negative approach to the bowlers.
The National Sporting Organisation has problems, have a go.
The people holding it together are the "lovers" of the game. Stop knocking.

thats right and i still stand by it perhaps not the best bowlers casue the best bowlers may not be able to afford it.

Its no disrespect on anyone at all, i would never do that

I agree with everyone. If that is possible.

I agree with Bee, Ben etc..
Ive never had the opportunity to represent Australia, heck Ive never bowled overseas! The chance to do so is indeed, priceless. I would drop everything in a heart beat!

But alas, in this day an age, priceless moments...come at a price.
Here I agree with mattr and Jez..
$6000 in such a short time is a hell of alot of money.
My weekly pay in a bowling center would barely cover 1/2 of it in that amount of time, my parents have mortgages, car loans, business loans, and all the expenses of running a bowling center and taking care of the family, so there is limited help there.. BUT I would still do anything in my power to get the money..

I do agree with Leanne..
Any bowler who can successfully pass the selection criteria is, in my eyes, good enough to go o/s and rep Australia.

But I also disagree with Leanne in saying that all should have to bare the costs. So I agree with BELMO..
If selected, I will have to, almost litterally, work my ass off to get the money. If TBA is 'broke' then I assume the managers and coaches fare will come from the bowlers' fee and I, personally, am not willing to have my hard work pay for others to go for free, whether it be Joe Blow who coaches down the road or any of the names mentioned, Frawley, Battson, Allen or whoever..

I havent worked out if I can afford it yet but I would surely like to go!
Good luck to all those nominating and I shall see you all at Sydney Youth.

Alicia

This topic is getting very heated and I can understand why. I have just read all posts and although I would pay anything to represent my country, I'm agreeing with Belmo, Jez & Matt R on this topic. One in all in.

Im not 100% on this but I have heard that the coaches and managers expenses for the trip are coming from the total cost of the player; eg the trip for the player might be $4500 and the $1500 from each players total of the $6000 pays for the coaches and managers. TBA are not paying for the trip, the representatives are. That is wrong.

Again Im not 100% on that rumour. A breakdown of costs for the trip published by TBA would stop all the arguing between the bowling community over this topic.

Ok wayne well i just completed a search and did some quick costs for you

Flights China Air - $2200 (search on flight centre)
Accommodation - $900 (twin share)
Bowling fees - ????
Uniform - $200
that totals about $3300

i think the TBA need to bring up a price break down as mentioned because that leaves $2700 but im not sure what for

That $6500 you'll need to pay as soon as you make the team because they will still have to book flight, accomodation etc... so you'll need to come up with the money before you even make the team.

I have been checking out the costs for some time and this is how I see them.
All in aussie dollars.
United Airlines $3430 ( a reputable airline)
Bowling Fees $165( covers everything)
Organisers are providing free shuttles to and from airport and to and from hotel to bowling centre.
Accom 10 nights (includes breakfast) $300 (if they don't allow bed sharing then $600)
Uniform (2 tops & 2 bottoms only) $160-$200
Daily Meal budget (estimate) $60 x 12 days
Passport $200
Camp (?) $200
So far that's $5055 to $5395.
The bowlers would probably like to take some money of their own too, say $500.
That will be a lot closer to $6000 in a few weeks time.

Doriana Porto

Is the camp over Sydney youth going to cost anything?
I cannot seem to find a priceing anywhere...?

I have been checking out the costs for some time and this is how I see them.
All in aussie dollars.
United Airlines $3430 ( a reputable airline)
Bowling Fees $165( covers everything)
Organisers are providing free shuttles to and from airport and to and from hotel to bowling centre.
Accom 10 nights (includes breakfast) $300 (if they don't allow bed sharing then $600)
Uniform (2 tops & 2 bottoms only) $160-$200
Daily Meal budget (estimate) $60 x 12 days
Passport $200
Camp (?) $200
So far that's $5055 to $5395.
The bowlers would probably like to take some money of their own too, say $500.
That will be a lot closer to $6000 in a few weeks time.
Doriana Porto

i dont think the 6500 the TBA has mentioned includes spending money or passports or camps

check out flight centre, china air are doing 2200 airfares

time to book

Am going to try but weather i get anywhere who knows but its more the experience i'm after cause it will be my first time trying... Looking forward to Sydney Youth and The Camp cya you all there

Jimmy Bowles

Realistically it is great for Australia to send a team. I know many Youth bowlers were disappointed & we thought no-one was going to get a chance to bowl in this tournament. I'm sure those that go will do us proud & hopefully TBA will take on board what people are saying here. Don't take anything from those who DO get to go they will do what they love to do...bowl & good luck to them!!

Wayne,

Im not the one that's wrong here. I didn't make the statement, I said it was a rumour and I was not 100% about the statement I heard. I hope it's wrong too.

Thanks,
Christian

Interesting revelation taken directly from the World Youth Championships bulletin #2 and dated 24 March 2008

It seems that the TBA confirmed Australia's participation in this event a full four weeks before they announced it to our youth bowlers.

2008 WTBA World Youth Championships Bulletin 2
July 18-26, 2008 • Orlando, Florida, USA March 24, 2008
2008wyc.com
Pat Winkels, Registration Manager [email protected]
5301 S. 76th St. Office: (414) 423-3231
Greendale, WI 53129 Mobile: (414) 839-4251
United States 2008wyc.com
- 11 -

8. Confirmed Countries
As of March 24, 2008:

BOYS
Australia
Czech Republic
England
Estonia
Finland
Germany
Greece
Guam
Hungary
Indonesia
Israel
Italy
Malaysia
Mexico
Northern Ireland
Norway
Scotland
Switzerland
United States

GIRLS
Australia
Czech Republic
England
Estonia
Finland
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Indonesia
Israel
Italy
Malaysia
Mexico
Northern Ireland
Norway
Scotland
United States

The full bulletin can be found at the following link.
http://www.2008wyc.com/downloads/pdf/bulletins/WYC-bulletin2.pdf

Back
Top Bottom