2008 Australian Youth Team

Porto

TotalCOOL
If you haven't seen or heard, the bulletin has been released regarding selection for the 2008 Australian Youth Team.
Considering that the trip will cost around $6,000 per person and that the team will be going away no more than 6 weeks from the selection, who is going to nominate?

Also, what do you think of the selection criteria? Any arguements for or against certain parts?

Porto

(Forgot to say that I am nominating)

selecting a team 6 weeks prior to an event, hardly fair.

Im not too sure about others, but finding 6 grand in 6 weeks, yeah right, that would mean a trip to the bank for me. I think 6 grand would look much better off my mortgage then to a trip to the states. As much as I would like to bowl for my country again and go to Orlando for the worlds, at 6G its just too big an ask for myself. You also have to look at annual leave from work. Once again this is just me (im sure others are possibly in the same boat) but it would be difficult for me to organise 2 weeks off in that space of time.

Obviously this is just me, for others it may not be too big an ask. It will be interesting to see what others decide. As for me, I wont be attending the camp.

Matt Kanafa

selecting a team 6 weeks prior to an event, hardly fair.
Im not too sure about others, but finding 6 grand in 6 weeks, yeah right, that would mean a trip to the bank for me. I think 6 grand would look much better off my mortgage then to a trip to the states. As much as I would like to bowl for my country again and go to Orlando for the worlds, at 6G its just too big an ask for myself. You also have to look at annual leave from work. Once again this is just me (im sure others are possibly in the same boat) but it would be difficult for me to organise 2 weeks off in that space of time.
Obviously this is just me, for others it may not be too big an ask. It will be interesting to see what others decide. As for me, I wont be attending the camp.
Matt Kanafa

Completely understand!

What i dont understand is the coaches/managers get flight, accom, and meals paid for but the athletes are to pay full price???

I have given our CEO a idea about a fair way to split the costs, but i guess she didnt like it.
Without the players their would be no coaches, without coaches/managers the players will not bowl to their full potential.

So that being said, all members of the team/staff are equally important, so the costs to go away should be shared equally.

Why give a heap of help to the coaching staff and none to the players??

Plus what 1 trip costs $6000??? (for bowling that is) I have travelled around the world for 8 weeks at one time and the trip cost me the same. That was including all my entries and meals and accom and flights! IN EUORPE!!!!!!!!!!!

Im still trying to wrap my head around it all.

As for the selection criteria: I do not know the perfect way, so ill stay out of it till i think of a better solution!

Belmo

ps- World Youth is one of the greatest events I have played, i won gold,silver and bronze medals there and they mean a great deal to me....would of gone if it cost me $6000........ Dont really know!

I am a huge supporter of our NSO and the team of volunteers who contribute countless hours (always have been and always will be) but I have to shake my head at this one.
In terms of team selection, I won't even begin to say that I have any idea on how that should be done. But TBA national team selectors knew about this event months ago. It was announced last year and here we are in May.....
It's hardly fair that coaches and managers get a free ride. I would go so far as to say that any coach or manager who doesn't distribute the money amongst the team should be nominated for "something" of the year. Aren't coaches always saying "There is no I in team?" I was under the impression that it was a bowlers organisation, and that bowlers contributed majority of the funds for bowling- last year a parent (who was also a qualified manager) took on the role and did a fine job.
Looks like your coaching or managers registration fee gives you a lot more than a qualification.
I certainly hope I have misunderstood the posting on the TBA site and that I will have to eat my words. I will even go so far as to say that (if I haven't misunderstood) I hope I am wrong but I will guess who already has their managers and coaches passport ready. Maybe we could contact Centrebet.
I hate negativity (waste of resources) but this is just not right. I know you guys (youth bowlers) don't want to be seen to be complaining as it may effect your "interview", so I will say it for you and suffer the consequences.
Edi

It's hardly fair that coaches and managers get a free ride. I would go so far as to say that any coach or manager who doesn't distribute the money amongst the team should be nominated for "something" of the year. Aren't coaches always saying "There is no I in team?" I was under the impression that it was a bowlers organisation, and that bowlers contributed majority of the funds for bowling- last year a parent (who was also a qualified manager) took on the role and did a fine job.
Looks like your coaching or managers registration fee gives you a lot more than a qualification.
Edi
I think you will find that the money paid by the bowlers will be used to supplement the managers and coaches. I would hate this to be the case, but does TBA have a breakdown of costs, so the bowlers can see where the money goes.

As for the 'free' trip' for coaches and managers, I completely agree with the TBA. There is no way on this earth that you should expect to get a qualified coach and qualified manager to pay for going to work. For what it's worth, I think these officials should not only get a fully paid for trip, but they should get paid for their time as well. After all, this IS a job isn't it? They aren't reaping the benefits of the competition like the youth's are.

Obviousltyisn't going to happen, nor are the youth team members going to get their trips paid for by the governing body....At least not until WE PAY MORE FOR OUR TBA MEMBERSHIPS / REGISTRATION

Two very large announcements have been made by the TBA in the last 6 weeks. This team selection process and trip as well as the Junior Dinner dance at Dreamworld. Both announcements have given next to no lead time for the participants to prepare for the event. Come on TBA..you MUST do better than this.

If this is what's happening then "SHAME ON THE TBA"

Everyone should be made to pay there own way, Why are Managers and Coaches more important than the bowlers (which is not the case at all) the sport needs BOWLERS not Managers.

I think the new CEO needs to rectify this straight away or you could be losing more bowlers (the sport is already struggling)

That's it just keep pushing bowlers away..

Alan Notman

For me this Team selection is what I have been working towards for the last 4years. $6,000 in comparison to the hard work and training over those years is a relatively small amount. The pride of representing my country in a world championship makes the cost seem even less important. Sure I will have to scrounge it together like everybody else out there if I was to make the team but I see the worth.

Just my perspective.

If you haven't seen or heard, the bulletin has been released regarding selection for the 2008 Australian Youth Team.
Considering that the trip will cost around $6,000 per person

I can't find anything that would indicate a $6,000 cost for the trip. Could you please tell us how you came to that particular estimate?

I worked out around $5100 without taking into consideration any loss of wages if on that sort of income.

$1700 each way to florida flights

14 days accommodation at $89US plus "taxes" of between 11 and 13% (estimated at $110 AUD per night) = $1540

Entry Fee into the event is $150 per person. (about $160AUD)

Of course, I don't know cost of uniform for the event, or any other miscellaneous costs such as food etc etc...

Am I nominating? I'll be able to give a little better answer after this weekend. Any sort of investment of $5-6k is something that takes more than 2 days to decide for anyone bar the select lucky few, even with good solid sponsorship.

Is the selection criteria any good? It's the best selection process I've ever seen in the sport so far, even factoring in the short notice.

Now excuse me while I go training for a beep test. I haven't done one since playing football. This is going to hurt :p

Wayne

The amount of $6500 is actually mentioned on the Athele Expression of Interest form. I don't think this release has been posted on the TBA webisite.

I cannot speak for the other states, but VicTenpins is fowarding this Expression of Interest directly to our youth bowlers.

Thank you Grant. This just confirms my opinion that we need to change travel agencies. For too many years now, the TBA has gotten absurdly high quotes from their 'favoured' travel agent. It's time to get a better deal!

Tonx....That hotel rate is for a double room..Make it $45 per person per night. And while you're doping the figures, I think 11-12 days would cover the trip, not 14.

On the plus side, at least the TBA is LISTENING! We wanted comprehensive selection guidelines; TBA listened and is doing something about it only a few days later.

Overall the whole situation (and the guidelines) might not be perfect, but perhaps we're heading in the right direction and our feedback is actually being considered! :eek:

As for the 'free' trip' for coaches and managers, I completely agree with the TBA. There is no way on this earth that you should expect to get a qualified coach and qualified manager to pay for going to work. For what it's worth, I think these officials should not only get a fully paid for trip, but they should get paid for their time as well. After all, this IS a job isn't it? They aren't reaping the benefits of the competition like the youth's are..

If they were professional coaches i would totally agree..but they are not. The bowlers paying $6000 or whatever and part time coaches and managers pay nothing.....it just does not make sense.

I'll be nominating. I'll agree with what Ben has said. But i don't agree with the coaches and Managers getting a free trip. SHould be split across the entireTeam.

Jez,
If the National Coach was either Andrew Frawley, Chris Batson, Sid Allen, Mike Griffith or Eric Jang would you agree that they deserve to have their trip, not to mention their time, paid for by the TBA?
The real shame of it all is the fact that these five fantastic coaches have had to seek employment overseas because Australian Tenpin Bowling can't seem to get its act together and hire someone to take our top players to the next level. Another in the long line of reasonS why we MUST RAISE THE COST OF A TBA MEMBERSHIP / REGISTRATION CARD

I thought we (as a country) were sending a TEAM away. The cost of sending a TEAM away would probably be around $66,000. The funding should go to the team which is made up of 8 players, 2 coaches and a manager. ALL TEAM MEMBERS!!!!!!
Funding should go to the "unified" unit of bowlers etc... and the balance owing AFTER funding should get split - unless you consider one person of greater value than the others. Or is it an individual event? Shouldn't we all be treated equally, equal opportunity to try out, to apply for positions?

The TBA know that Werribee Youth is on this weekend. Perhaps they will address the 88 youth bowlers in attendance, or pass on some sort of messages.

Edi

SNSW Juniors and NSW Youth have recognised our coaches and managers as one of the most important members of a Team.

Our Committees wished to re-enforce that recognition and include the costs of accommodation and shirts as part of the bowlers costs. We have done this the last two years. There are no 'free trips', they work hard during Shield and Youth Challenge.

During training sessions they pay their own accommodation and travel as we have a large Zone to cover.

We have seen a drop off of Coaches available to help with State Teams and are well aware of the input they give to our sport. And I am sure everybody else realises this and feels the same way. Maybe it is only in NSW that there is a problem, but we have discussed this issue and made arrangements that were voted on by our Committee (11) and parents/supporters at general meeting.

The real issue is about the level of sponsorsip available to our bowlers who represent our country overseas. The bowlers will 'find the money', but don't let any of the other teams at World Youth know, they get paid to attend......

If there is a good side? it is that the problem is recognised and discussed. We are at a crossroads in the sport and I hope the bowlers, supporters and other key stakeholders are tapped for their input.

Leanne.

Now you know how the Australian Senior Representative Teams feel............

It is hard enough for our "older" bowlers who have limited resources because they have retired to justify spending the money to go overseas, let alone the youth bowlers who are either students, embarking on new careers, or trying to establish themselves as individual entities away from the parental home.....

Whatever happened to the ASC funding that was supposed to be such a big thing for our rep teams??

Back
Top Bottom