2007 PBA 64th U.S Open

jedi_bowler

Is the Force with you?
Like Father, Like Son
NORTH BRUNSWICK, N.J. - 3/4/2007

There are few things Pete Weber has yet to accomplish in his PBA Hall of Fame career, but surprisingly he has never been named PBA Player of the Year.

With a win in the most grueling tournament of the season Sunday, he’s one step closer to that elusive award.
Weber defeated Wes Malott, 210-204, Sunday to win the 64th U.S. Open at Brunswick Zone Carolier, his fourth career U.S. Open crown and record-tying eighth career Major title. The win also put Weber, who has two titles this season, in a tie with Mark Roth for third on the all-time titles list with his 34th career Denny’s PBA Tour title.

Brunswick Zone Carolier was where Weber found out two years ago that his legendary father, Dick, passed away on February 14, 2005. With his win Sunday, Pete joined his father and Don Carter as the only bowlers to win the U.S. Open or BPAA All-Star – the U.S. Open’s predecessor – four times.

“This was one of my dreams, to be one of the guys to win four U.S. Opens. I might not be done, I might have six or seven before my career is over,” Weber said. “My dad and Don Carter are the only two to win this event four times so I am joining an elite group. Even though the All-Star was not an official title, to me it is, and it is in dad’s book and Don’s book. So to me, we have 12 U.S. Open titles among us.”

Weber struck in his first five frames in the title match after starting with the first eight in his semifinal win, leaving the 10-pin both times. Malott had a couple chances to get back in the match, particularly after Weber opened in the 8th, but Malott struck and spared in the 10th meaning Weber only needed six pins in the 10th frame for the win.

In the semifinal, Weber came close to the first televised 300 game of his career, with eight straight strikes until leaving the 10-pin. The match was decided early on as Jeff Carter, making his first career TV appearance, struck just once in frames 3-7 as Weber went on to the 267-192 win.
In the first match Carter defeated Dave D’Entremont, 185-183.

Weber (St. Ann, Mo.) took home $100,000 and a three-season Denny’s PBA Tour exemption for the win. Malott (Argyle, Texas) earned $50,000 for second, Carter (Springfield, Ill.) took home $25,000 for third while D’Entremont (Middleburg Heights, Ohio) earned $15,000 for fourth.

The Denny’s PBA Tour takes a one-week break before the final three events of the season, starting with the 2007 Pepsi Championship March 14-18 at Woodland Bowl in Indianapolis, Ind. The live ESPN televised finals take place Sunday, March 18, at 12:30 p.m. EST.

Denny’s PBA Tour
64th U.S. Open
Brunswick Zone Carolier
North Brunswick, N.J.
Sunday, March 4

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND

Pos. Name, hometown Total/Games Money
1. Pete Weber, St. Ann, Mo. 477 (2 games) $100,000
2. Wes Malott, Argyle, Texas 204 (1 game) $50,000
3. Jeff Carter, Springfield, Ill. 375 (2 games) $25,000
4. Dave D’Entremont, Middleburg Heights, Ohio 183 (1 game) $15,000

SCORES – In the first match, Carter def. D’Entremont, 185-183; in the semifinal, Weber def. Carter, 267-192; and in the final, Weber def. Malott, 210-204.

This is Weber’s 34th career Denny’s PBA Tour title and his record-tying eighth career Major title.

Sorry late today

All info from www.pba.com

Well done Pete:D

Frosty:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom