PBA 2006/07 Etonic Championship

jedi_bowler

Is the Force with you?
Still the Man
CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. - 11/12/2006

At 44 years old, PBA Hall of Famer Pete Weber is showing no signs of slowing down. In fact, he’s off to what he calls the best start of his 28-year career.

Weber won his 33rd career Denny’s PBA Tour title Sunday, knocking off local favorite Doug Kent, 247-196, to win the 2006 Etonic Championship at AMF Thruway Lanes.

The win moved Weber within one title of tying Mark Roth for third on the all-time titles list and made him just the second bowler in Tour history to go over the $3 million mark in career earnings. Weber finished second in the season-opening Dydo Japan Cup, becoming the victim of Walter Ray Williams Jr.’s record-breaking 42nd career title.

“This is the best start of my career, making the show in two of the first four events and winning today,” said Weber (St. Ann, Mo.), who used a Storm Double Agent. “From what I understand Paige (Williams’ wife) predicted I would be Player of the Year. I’m trying not to let her down.”

Weber struck in six of the first seven frames in the title match, the only blemish a 4-9 split and an open in the second frame. He was never threatened by Kent (Newark, N.Y.), the defending champion, who started the match with five consecutive nine-spares.

“I picked a ball that hit the pocket and just tried to let it off my hand. I didn’t try to throw it hard, it was just a stroke off my hand and it worked out for the best,” Weber said. “Winning never gets old. It’s the best feeling in the world.”

Weber advanced to the title match with a 227-179 win over Chris Loschetter (Avon, Ohio). Loschetter had just two strikes in the first nine frames, while Weber struck in four of the first five frames. A 4-7-9 split and an open frame in the eighth by Loschetter all but clinched the match for Weber.

Kent advanced with a 203-188 win over Steve Jaros (Yorkville, Ill.). Kent stayed clean with no opens until his final frame while Jaros had opens in the 5th, 8th and 9th frames.

Weber earned $25,000 and an exemption for the 2007-08 season. Kent, who was looking for his second title in three events after winning the United States Bowling Congress (USBC) Masters, took home $13,000 for second. Jaros earned $6,500 for third and Loschetter earned $5,500 for fourth.

The Denny’s PBA Tour moves to Hammond, Ind., for the 2006 Lake County Indiana Classic, Nov. 15-19, at Stardust Bowl I. The nationally televised ESPN finals take place Sunday, Nov. 19, at 1 p.m. EST.

Denny’s PBA Tour
2006 Etonic Championship
AMF Thruway Lanes
Cheektowaga, N.Y.
Sunday, Nov. 12

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND

Pos. Name, hometown Total/Games Money
1. Pete Weber, St. Ann, Mo. 474 (2 games) $25,000
2. Doug Kent, Newark, N.Y. 399 (2 games) $13,000
3. Steve Jaros, Yorkville, Ill. 188 (1 game) $6,500
4. Chris Loschetter, Avon, Ohio 179 (1 game) $5,500

SCORES – In the first match, Weber def. Loschetter, 227-179; in the second match, Kent defeated Jaros, 203-188; and in the final, Weber def. Kent, 247-196.

This is Weber’s 33rd career Denny’s PBA Tour title.

Source www.pba.com

Frosty:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom