63th US Open TJ Blasts Home AGAIN

D

Ducati 851

Tommy Jones... What more can this kid do...he's done it all. Even Ryan Shafer said he would be happy just to watch Tommy bowl all day long. And Pete Weber thinks hes got the most flawless shot ever in bowling.

Eight is Great
NORTH BRUNSWICK, N.J. - February 19, 2006

Tommy Jones leaped to the front of the line in the race for the 2006 PBA Player of the Year award after winning his first career Major event, the 63rd U.S. Open Sunday at Brunswick Zone Carolier.

Jones, who leads the Tour with four victories this season, defeated top-seeded Ryan Shafer in the title match, 237-223, clinching the $100,000 top prize and securing a spot on the Denny’s PBA Tour through the 2008-09 season.

“You go out and do your best at every tournament. You want to have the chance to win. That’s what you bowl for,” said Jones, the No. 2 seed who converted a 4-pin in the 10th frame to capture his eighth Tour win over the last two
seasons.

Shafer, who finished 2nd in a Major for the third time in his career, applied pressure late by striking in frames 7-9, but it wasn’t enough.

Jones, who used an Ebonite "The One" strike ball, dispatched of Michael Fagan, the No. 4 seed searching for his first career title, in the semifinal, 231-226. Jones struck in frames 6-9 to help seal the win after opening on a 1-2-4-10 split in the 5th.

In the first stepladder match, Fagan defeated Robert Smith, looking for his second career U.S. Open title, 216-214. Fagan converted the 6-7-10 split to start the 10th then followed with an eight count. Smith, a six-time Tour title winner, needed to strike to start his 10th, but instead left the 3-6-10.

Shafer earned $50,000 for his 2nd place finish while Fagan (Greenlawn, N.Y.) earned $25,000 for 3rd. Smith (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) took home $15,000 for 4th.

The Denny’s PBA Tour heads to Cheektowaga, N.Y., for the 2006 GEICO Classic, Feb. 22-26 at AMF Thruway Lanes. The live ESPN finals take place Sunday, Feb. 26 at 12:30 p.m. EST, with the winner taking home the $40,000 top prize and a exemption for the 2006-07 Tour season.

Notes: Jones is the first bowler to win the U.S. Open as anything other than the top seed since Dave Husted won the 1996 U.S. Open as the No. 3 seed.

With the win, Jones completed the first part of “The Jackson Hewitt $1,000,000 Challenge.” If he can win the 2006 Denny's World Championship and the 2006 Dexter Tournament of Champions, he will take home an additional $1,000,000 in prize money.

Denny’s PBA Tour
63rd U.S. Open
Brunswick Zone Carolier
North Brunswick, N.J.
Sunday, Feb. 19

Cheers,

Another title spoiler has ruined Strikepass.
Next time just leave the title as 63rd US Open!!

It is majorly frustrating when this continually happens. At least Frosty now just posts the event in his titles (As per West Virginia)

What is worst of all is the fact this is a major - and a major i've been looking forward to watching later in the week (when its released.) Now the result has been ruined, it will be harder to watch.

Craig Ryan said:
Cheers,
Another title spoiler has ruined Strikepass.
Next time just leave the title as 63rd US Open!!
It is majorly frustrating when this continually happens. At least Frosty now just posts the event in his titles (As per West Virginia)
What is worst of all is the fact this is a major - and a major i've been looking forward to watching later in the week (when its released.) Now the result has been ruined, it will be harder to watch.

Pity that it had to be a major...even worse, the title wasn't even the one listed on pba.com!

You should see next week's event at the GEICO classic - Norm Duke misses a 2-10 split in the 9th frame to hand your favourite, Mike Scroggins, the title. The win by Scroggins puts him right up against TJ for POY honours. :p

For everyone else... you can avoid the spoilers by collapsing the tournament section in the totalbowling.com.au home page (click on the arrow circled in red). It's an undesirable solution, but...I suppose it works.

TB.jpg

Ev said:
You should see next week's event at the GEICO classic - Norm Duke misses a 2-10 split in the 9th frame to hand your favourite, Mike Scroggins, the title. The win by Scroggins puts him right up against TJ for POY honours. :p

If Norm Duke ever loses to 'beady-eyed' Scroggins again I will be very dissappointed. I needed councilling after the USBC Masters show :p :p

Ah well, this week they roll out the Cheetah again. Guess we might see Joe Ciccione up there again. He tends to go well on the Cheetah pattern. (It probably reflects that he is not as accurate as the others!)

Wes Malott and Tommy Jones are having some seasons. Would love to see a young-guns vs old-timers coverage. (Show being Malott, Jones, Duke & Voss)

DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE!!

this guy is a machine, 8 titles threw two seasons and this season isnt even over, i hope he wins 2 more titles this year to gat to the majic double figures with titles, also does anyone now how close he is to making a million on the tour, he would be close now.

Dark Assailant said:
this guy is a machine, 8 titles threw two seasons and this season isnt even over, i hope he wins 2 more titles this year to gat to the majic double figures with titles, also does anyone now how close he is to making a million on the tour, he would be close now.

$$$

The show is out today - I back Michael Fagan to win :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom