2002 Nationals Information

2002 TBA Nationals at Bankstown

Just to set the record correct

My presence at the nationals was more than just putting the results on the Web.

As for the Junior Nationals and the 5th Asian School Championships I was the person that collected and compiled the scores. This involved writing programs to transfer the data from the bowls computer and display the results on an 8ft screen in the bowl. A side effect of this was the production of Web pages automatically.

At the Junior Nationals and the 5th Asian School Championships Graham was supplied with a computer diskette from me, for him to update his web site. (This was also done at other tournaments including - Australian Open 2001 and 2002, NSW Open 2001 and 2002, Canberra Open 2001 and Canberra International 2001.)

Graham has done a tremendous job with reporting the results of tournaments and his photos

At the Adult Nationals we did not try to copy him. His photos and videos were great at previous tournaments.

Graham I believe will still be reporting on the Super 6 Series for AMF.

My reward for the Adult Nationals was travel costs, accommodation and a daily meal allowance. To enable me to be volunteer at the Nationals I had to take 2 weeks of Annual leave from my work. I did not receive any other payment for my many hours at the nationals with up to 14 hours a day in the bowl. All the volunteers had the same payment and others even worked longer hours.

For the Nationals I would have spent over 80 hours programming before the tournament.

At the Nationals besides the normal singles, doubles and teams events there were 6 tournaments, each of which was reported by me on the TBA website as the tournament was bowled

Since 1995 I have been programming in Victoria for tournaments, at least 7 a year and in 1999 put the results on my own personal Website.

I have done the above because I enjoy programming and bowling, it costs me because I use my own computer equipment and usually my own travel and accommodation costs.

Wayne Chester asked why it took 2 people to do Grahams job, in fact the cost to TBA was much less. Peter Coburn as he has stated in a post did not receive any costs, travel or accommodation. The cost to TBA was much less than for the juniors. So instead of both Graham (website) and myself, only I was present.

Remember this was a TBA event and they control the way the scores are used.

As with every change to the way things are done there are uninformed critics.

I look forward to repeating this at the next TBA event, the Youth Challenge at Bankstown in January 2003.

Ian Nicholls

Back
Top Bottom