Your first 600 series?

My first was a 666 series, which ended in a 265 game against Brendan Hanton and Drew Russell's team at (the old) Northcote lanes. Both good old Belly and (probably the 'older') Lindsey Barratt didn't show up that night and left me posted, so I was stuck handling Brendon and Drew both on my own. At a 170 average at the time, I was a little intimidated, but for some reason everything seemed to work that night :D

A really good way to see where you can improve your scores and get over that 600 barrier, is to get a print out at the end of the night and look for the easy spares that you have missed. It's ALOT easier to reach 600 if you are closing every frame. As the guys previously have mentioned, tell the counter guy to shove it.

Better yet, make sure you make him announce it when you do finally reach your goal. Show this cat who is the better man by proving that you have what it takes!

Good luck and all the best!

Hey Matt,

Reaching a 600 series is arms reach when you know your on your game and in the zone. Nothing else matters and better yet, you feel that nothing will get in the way of reaching your goal.

I remember my first 600 series, it was only a 601 but when I was 11 (now 26), that seemed pretty significant back then and I thought I did a great job with little effort. I was bowling in a junior league in Alice Springs. There is only one centre there because the town is only around 30000 people. I started bowling when I was 7 and for me as a kid, I just wanted to have fun and enjoy the game.

My advice to you is just have fun, enjoy the game, don't push yourself too hard but set yourself realistic goals that you know that are capable of achieving. Before you know it, you'll have achieved that 600 series with little or no effort.

Good luck and best wishes. :)

Danni

Its been a while since i started this thread and also since i last posted a reply.

So i thought i would give a quick update.

I still havent quite gotten a 600 series yet, but im not letting it get to me.

Ive taken on board the advice that most of you have given me and i have to say i havent felt as anxious when i go to bowl lately.

I only have tonight (DEC 10th) and next monday night (DEC 17th) left to bowl one this year, if i dont ive only got to wait a few more weeks till i resume bowling in February to keep on trying.

This year has been one of my most succesfull years that i can remember.

Ive been averaging around 170-172 all year and at one point my average got up to 182 which is the highest its ever been.

Since i bowled the 596 in october, i have had a couple of good series since over 500 including a 550 series.

the 600 is just around the corner, i just have to knuckle down and bowl my best.

It would make a great early Xmas present for me.

To think there's someone out there who's similar to me!

"Highest 3 game series: 599. Highest scratch game: 255. Most strikes in a row: 7."

My highest league Series 605, twice. The first one took me a year to do in Randwick where I bowled 180, 190, 235. A few weeks back at Mascot during our Tuesday League, I bowled 205, 170, 230. For some reason I bowl easy numbers to remember. That weekend I went to Queanbeyan for their Championships and bowled 190, 214, 200 for a 604 on a Saturday. The following day I bowled 171, 254, 182 for a 607. All above my 170 average!

Highest game, 255 in Liverpool in March. (X,X,X,X,72,9/,X,X,X,XXX)

Most strikes in a row, 7! Done that 3 times.

During your break, have a few practice games, you'll be surprised what you can do out of the league environment.

i bowled my first 600 at Essondon bowl as a junior. All i wanted to do was get out of there coz i had the biggest headache of all time... and i was too young to drink. (at least i would have had a reason) I do remember that i had a 190ish a 180ish and finished off with a 233 game. I can't remember but i had either 6 or 7 in a row in that game. I just got over the line but then i didn't bowl my next one until i bowled in juniors at Keon Park. Just remember to stay clean with your spares, the strikes will sort themselves out. I'm sure you're not that far off your first.

Just came home from the bowling alley.
Looks like i'll have to wait until next week to bowl a 600 series this year.
Mind you i still bowled 525 tonight which pretty consitent with my average.
Somebody guy bowled his first 600 series tonight, but his dad told me it was a bit of a fluke, maybe but good on him.
I made sure i congratulated him afterwards.
My turn will come after next monday night we'll be having a break from bowling until february due to the XMAS/NEW YEAR holiday period.
Hopefully i'll use that time to better myself and come back in 2008 and get that carrott with a 600 on it out of my face.

Well tonight is my last chance for this year to get that ever present monkey off my back (bowl a 600 series).

I'm confident that i can do it tonight.

Yesterday i bowled in a special little tournament called "BOWLER OF THE YEAR". To qualify for this i had to win one of the bowler of the month competitions held through out the year.

I think i finished 5th in the mens division which im pretty happy with, i bowled a 538 series for the 3 games.

Which has given me a boost for tonights league games.

When i won the Bowler of the month comp back in October with a 551 Series, I came out the next night for my weekly league night and bowled 596.

So hopefully tonights the night
I'll keep you posted.

Well tonight is my last chance for this year to get that ever present monkey off my back (bowl a 600 series).
I'm confident that i can do it tonight.

GOOD LUCK MATE. Hope you can do it!!! it will make a nice early Xmas pressy.
Let us all know how you went latter tonight.
Cheers Julie :D

Matt,

Firstly, you'll get there. Good advice from Tonx about spares and I endorse that. Spares make all the difference.

The other thing that will get you there is a relaxed focus on making good shots. When you get up to bowl, just bowl. Nothing else. just swing it easy and do it easy.

Add up your total at the end of the night and definitely not during the games.

btw, I don't remember when I bowled my first 600 series. It was in juniors and at either Parramatta or Leichhardt (both gone now). I would have been about 15 or 16. It took time.

Knock 'em dead kid!

Jason

Hi Matthew,

I have just been reading all the posts on this thread and I see that you are able to average mid 170's and as high as 182.

That is very good considering you did it without the assistance of a 600 to boost your average.

So take some confidence from that as it shows that you are getting some consistency.

As everyone has been saying it's best to just concentrate on making good shots and the scores will come. Just relax and enjoy it as much as possible.

I totally agree with Jason that taking it easy is the secret to making good shots and accuracy.

I have been bowling many years and I am not able to remember my first 600. Also I did not start bowling league until I was about 26 so I was a late starter. But I have had number of seasons where I averaged 200+ so you can see anything is possible.

Have some good practice over your break and look forward to improving further in 2008.

Kind regards

Feels like it was only yesterday that i finished bowling for 2007.
And here it is 7 weeks later and it all starts up again for another year.
Even though i'm only halfway through my current league, the new year is a chance to put 2007 behind me and start fresh.
and as is the subject of this forum topic, that i finally bowl a 600 series.
I have used the 7 weeks break to give my body a rest, i tend to suffer from a bad right shoulder and also from minor soreness in my left knee and my lower back as well.
but i am much fitter and feeling a lot better personally than i was at this point last year, going from 136kgs to 111kgs will do that to you.
I start up bowling again tonight and ill post updates from time to time and if i bowl a 600 series, ill let you know.
On a personal note thanks to all of you who have given me advice lately, i have read everyones replies and i have taken onboard all the info you have all posted.

I Remember my first 600, I think I was 11 (25 now) and it was about 620ish. I couldn't believe it, at the time I was averaging around 150s. I havent bowled for about 6 years now and am still stranded on a high series of 699! (Ithink in tournament my best over 3 consectutive games was around 740 but I don't count that, that also included my highest game of 289). Hoping to get back into bowling soon and break that elusive 700 mark!

I remember the Illawarra Championships as a junior and I wanted a 600 series to qualify for the Masters and I bowled 199 199 198 for a 596. I was very frustrated!

I was trying for ages to get my 600 series but when I finally did, I smashed it. My first 600 series was 645 at Warrawong Bowl (now JB HiFi). I bowled 234, 210 and 201 in the first 3 games of the Masters final.

Must have been my day because I qualified 6th and ended up winning it. So there were two things to celebrate. My first 600 and tournament win!

Only bowled a 527 series last week.

A bit dejected that the 600 alluded me again but divide 527 by 3 and you get roughly 175.66, a good series as my average is still around 171.

Back to the bowling alley tonight though i might leave for a couple of weeks before make another up date if i bowl 600 or not.

Don't worry about it - a 600 series will come sooner than you think. If you focus on sparing I'm sure you will get there :)

I bowled my first 600 series when i was 12, and when i was bowling it i didn't even realize how close i was. So my advice to you is not to worry too much about bowling a 600 series, Just enjoy yourself when you bowl and keep up the practice, Don't worry about the result at the end, just take each frame as it comes.

Hope this Helps you out.;)

This post is not for me but my son, though I have the odd 600 series. Until 2 months ago he did not have a 600, but in the space of the last 2 months he has managed 5 the top being a 655 at the ripe old age of 11. But it is all down to practise so keep it up mate it will happen.

mb600,

Someone once told me that, those who wait, will receive and those who don't won't. Try not to get yourself too worked up over wether or not you crack this elusive 600 barrier yet.

It will come when the time is right. I remember as a junior many years ago that all I wanted was to get there too. Every time I got close I was soo disappointed that my dad ended up sitting me down and saying " just let it happen and it will ". Within 6-8 months it did.

Don't focus on just getting the 600, focus on everything else like consistency, timing, rhythm etc. when this all falls into place the score will be on the board.

Just my honest opinion.

Steve.

gday matty
im only 16 but i think i can safely say i bowl on one of the toughest conditions in queensland at maryborough bowl, 3 300s bowled in 3 yrs by the entire centres bowlers. now 600s, quite hard to come by... i suggest, dont worry about the series... consider every game... if u go into the begginning of the first thinking im gonna get it tonight chances are u shoot a terrible first game and its out of reach... if u shoot a high first game 210-220+ then work on the second game... u have to consolidate the second game to make the run home easy.. bowled with a mate of mine last week he started with a 258, he shot 158 in the second so now he had to chase it and fell short.. so i say go one game at a time buddy. if you consolidate in the second game then u can make the series as big as u want.

Back
Top Bottom