Why is Tenpin bowling declining?

This has been bugging me for a while. A lot of discussion goes into the question of why bowling is struggling, and has done so for a number of years. There are a number of factors, and I think the two main ones are the equipment revolution, and the associated lane conditioning problems, and the more fundamental shift in society as a whole, where we have seen a paradigm shift in what people do with their leisure time.

First, let’s look at the equipment. In the heyday of bowling, there was basically no advantage in the different brands of bowling ball. This meant that the average league hack had exactly the same ball as the elite bowler. The gap between them was purely due to the skill of the athlete. More importantly, one ball would last several or many seasons. All a junior or youth bowler had to do to reach the top level was work on their game and get better at executing. Now, that is not enough. To a great extent, bowlers can’t just buy one ball and work on their physical games. More importantly, beginning and novice bowlers who buy a plastic ball simply have no chance of improving past a mediocre standard on modern conditions because of the lack of feedback from plastic balls – until they spend more on a resin ball.
In 1980, an aspiring junior could be faced with buying a new ball, bag and shoes, which would – or should – last at least a few seasons. Nowadays, to be remotely competitive it’s 4 balls, plus the associated bags, of which you will replace at least a couple a year and probably all 4. We have turned a relatively inexpensive sport into one which is simply prohibitive for many people, especially as the costs increase dramatically only a short distance into their improvement curve.
There’s a big difference between telling someone who wants to improve “come to training twice a week” and “first you need to buy a better ball or two”. The corollary to this is that with modern balls and blocked lanes, the gap between the average league bowler and the high average bowler has blown out enormously, which devalues the achievements of both groups. When 200 was par, it was a great game for the average bowler. It still is for the 150 average bowler using a plastic ball, but seeing people average 230 around them takes a bit of the gloss off of it. In a way, resin balls have made the ‘bread and butter’ bowler that the centre relies on thirty pins worse than they were 30 years ago. So, not only are they not getting better, they perceive themselves as getting worse!
Maybe we should ban plastic lol.

The societal issue is more complex. The advent of social networking has made one of the reasons why people bowl less relevant. People like company. In the old days of mostly five person team bowling, it was as much a social occasion as a sporting event. People had time to have a chat, catch up with the gossip, and generally unwind. Bowling was, for our league bowlers, simply a part of their social fabric. Now, people use Facebook for the same interactions, and the demise of team bowling in favour of smaller teams discourages the social side of the sport. Add to that the fact that our lives are more fluid, making people less inclined to commit for long seasons, and you have another piece of the puzzle.

So, with lower numbers, and labour, rent and power costs increasing, its little wonder centres are struggling. I put forward a suggestion recently to the TBA regarding increasing dues to support the Tenpin Bowling Show and in effect have a weekly TBA Bowling program on digital TV, allowing TBA and the centres to run ads that would reach most of the population. The response: ‘We are only an administrative body’. Sigh.

Bowling centres are generally cheerful places, but they are also the best kept secret in leisure. A nationwide ad campaign could be based on the old ‘Cheers’ theme – ‘Go where everybody knows your name’ and push bowling as simply a way to make friends and reconnect with people. It would cost TBA less than $5 per member. Would they get it back in increased membership? Probably. Would the centres help fund it? I think so, if it was marketed to them properly. Should this have been done a few years ago when bowling was humming along and the centres were doing well? Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

A little more than 2c worth. Oh well.

You hit the nail on the head and I fully agree with your comments regarding the hi-tech balls. In my opinion, the game is getting corrupted by the development and use of such gear. Look at some other sports; take swimming as an example. Not so long ago all of the top swimmers used this highly developed skin swimsuits. Many records were broken as a result of this, but finally they were outlawed, but the damage had been done. Some of the records that where achieved during this time will not be broken for a long time, if ever. The same is in Tenpin bowling; it probably is too late to go back.

Hi everyone

I believe that tenpin bowling will wither and die as a sport unless we the bowlers do not have a radical shift in our approach to the sport we love. We need to adopt the lawn bowls ideology. Own our own bowling centres run them ourselves and let the recreation bowlers game fees subsidise league bowlers and help pay for the facilities. We apply to local council for a site and fund-raise to build our own centres in our local areas if lawn bowls can do this why cant we?

Reactions: CT
Robbie your opening argument hits a couple of the reasons for the decline, that being a fundamental shift in society and what they do in their leisure time. As far as equipment and lane conditions are concerned, it will not even be a factor to any bowler bowling less than 3-4 years, you could put the biggest wall on a lane and a newby wouldn't find it or be able to use it. The facts are most new bowlers would start with a plastic ball and with today's over oiled lane conditions not learn how to hook. I pointed this out many years ago that we are only pandering to the crankers to the detriment of all other bowlers as if the crankers have a God given right to have heaps of oil on the lanes. I said to take off the oil many years ago, on this site.

The main factor is price, nobody expects to pay more than $5 a game and kids half that. If you are charging more than you will have lots of lanes empty and their is nothing more expensive in a bowling Centre than an empty lane.

willey

Hi everyone

I believe that tenpin bowling will wither and die as a sport unless we the bowlers do not have a radical shift in our approach to the sport we love. We need to adopt the lawn bowls ideology. Own our own bowling centres run them ourselves and let the recreation bowlers game fees subsidise league bowlers and help pay for the facilities. We apply to local council for a site and fund-raise to build our own centres in our local areas if lawn bowls can do this why cant we?

Because an entire Lawn bowls green costs next to nothing compared to a pair of lanes

Because an entire Lawn bowls green costs next to nothing compared to a pair of lanes
I remember having this discussion while playing lawn bowls with a mate who is rather good at it. A bowling green costs about 60K to build. I think that's less than 2 pairs of lanes. And no building...

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom