Why is Tenpin bowling declining?

Kegelmaster

I notice that Tenpin bowling centres closing down all over the place. It has been the trend in the States for a number of years and Australia is now also on the slide. More centres have closed down during the last few years then new ones established.
I would like to hear a few comments, especially from previous owners, what are the reasons.
Are the rents being to expensive, the upkeep of the equipment, how difficult is it to hire good staff, especially qualified mechanics, increase in electricity costs or is it the decline in the number of comp bowlers?

IM sure someone who actually owns or has owned a centre will chime in here and give you a more reasoned and factual repsonce but from a bowlers point of view and from listening to those who know speak its a combination of lots of different things, some of which you have mentioned.

League bowlers seem to be in decline, from when i started bowling over 20 years ago the comparison is huge, maybe someone has some stats on this. The invention of online bowling shops are also hurting the proshops that still operate. Rent well thats high everywhere for all forms of business but still has an impact. For a non league bowler or non TBA member bowling isnt cheap if you bring a family with 3 kids (example only), $14 games food and drink prices that lets face it arent exactly cheap. Sometimes families have to make a choice and bowling isnt always #1 option - unless its raining :)

I think Roy is on the money here.

Other options, wages don't go as far as they use to, especially in NSW. I am on the same money I received back in 1999. So online will always win as my money needs to go further.

Take the kids to the movies or go for a game. Families will probably chose the movies.

How many kids do you see playing in the streets these days, the I-Generation (iPad'ers) will more than likely not bother and stay home to Twatter on FaceTube.....

I also believe bowling has a lot of predators in the sporting field like basketball, cricket, soccer and league. All a lot cheeper to have three kids involved with.

A shame really, the current world champ is an Aussie. The current world youth champ is an Aussie.

Most sports are suffering the same as what ten pin bowling is, unfortunately the times are a changing and it is not always for the better.Back in the 1980's when i first started playing squash there was 14 grades of men and 7 independent clubs, now there is 2 clubs and 3 grades and struggling to keep teams full. As with Ten pin in the 80's there were 2 centres and 2 five man teams per night, Saturday night being the only night without leagues now there is one centre and again struggling to keep teams full ( not counting king pin or giggle pin and who would count them )The main factors that always seem to contribute to most decline in numbers are
Costs, time, and keeping the excitement.
back in the 80's it was a challenge to bowl 300 and as a bowler was getting closer to that 12th strike bowlers would gather behind in anticipation of that rare 300 being bowled it was a thrill to the bowler and the spectators watching. Nowadays its so familiar (except for this black duck) that it hardly gets a mention. I recall when bowling league that the centre used to announce all games that were above the cut (200).The local Open Masters used to be a premier event, i remember knowing all past masters and bowlers bowling at midnight trying to make the cut, even qualifying was exciting to watch.I could go on but i think you get the idea. There is no magic answer. Maybe hang on it's going to be a rough long ride and hope for a turn around

In the 60s, 70s, and 80s, you could be in personal control of how good and / or competitive you were.
As the balls effectively did what you made them do, and because of their low-tec nature were not as affected by how the lanes were conditioned, it purely revolved around developing your technique and accuracy. It was up to you, not technology or money.

Now mostly you can buy a fair bit ( maybe the major bit ) of your performance, and you can replace accuracy ( again, if you can afford it ) with multiple balls, and by obtaining a Diploma in Advanced Lane Conditioning Analysis.

In the 60s, 70s, and 80s, you could be in personal control of how good and / or competitive you were.
As the balls effectively did what you made them do, and because of their low-tec nature were not as affected by how the lanes were conditioned, it purely revolved around developing your technique and accuracy. It was up to you, not technology or money.

Now mostly you can buy a fair bit ( maybe the major bit ) of your performance, and you can replace accuracy ( again, if you can afford it ) with multiple balls, and by obtaining a Diploma in Advanced Lane Conditioning Analysis.

Maybe for a new bowler who bowls a true 150 ave but throws 175 on a THS in league, this statement might be true. I see these sorts of excuses alot, and im getting tired of them. These 150 ave hacks arent the people competing for money and playing against the best players in the country. THOSE guys have to play hard patterns and have to be on the ball (or extremely lucky) to do anything at that level, and they certainly cant buy their performance and victories.

I started playing tournaments 3 years ago with a 2 ball kit. I now have 9. Ranging from heavy oil angular to light oil smooth/control. I can roll on any condition im faced with but the sad (VERY VERY SAD) truth is that owning more gear and even my vast increase of knowledge in oil patterns, carrydown, transitions, burn, fatique and technique have made me no more than 10 pins stronger in 3 years. I also drill my own gear and know quite a bit so that is also in my hands. I also think that bowling has evolved, hence the higher scoring. We had guys 30-40 years ago really pioneering the game as we play it today, and luckily for us, alot of those guys were people who love the game and share their secrets, experiences and knowledge so that everyone can be better. I help my local league guys out if they ask, and was once asked "how would you feel if somebody you helped became better than you?" i said i wouldnt care, i love my bowling and want to see everybody bowl well and improve. Even the nasty people.

Point being you may be able to "buy" pins at entry level but where/when it counts that isnt an excuse anymore. My opinion anyway ....

Back OT i think the answers are fairly obvious, i think theres LOTs of reasons, all culminating together. Other more exciting sports taking precedence, new leasure activites introduced in the past 30 years (phones, games, other stuff). The price also has had a big impact. Some of the older locals here tell me some centres would let you have hours of lane time for $1-$2 20+ years ago. Even taking inflation into account that is dirt cheap. More importantly humans are changing and "bowling for fun" is still fun but people often laugh at me when i tell them how much i bowl, and do tournaments and travel for it. Times are changing.

tl;dr its changing coz the worlds changing, go with the flow.

Hi BigDaz,

I am a bid disappointed that you call the 150 ave bowlers hacks. I don't know if you realise that they are the majority that bring the dollars into the centre and keep it going. They all pay top dollar per game, usually spend more on food and drink as the comp bowlers and most likely enjoy themself a lot more. I don't know the exact statistics here in Australia, but in the States, comp bowlers used to account for 60% of the customers. This has declined to only about 25% today. Without the general public, none of our Tenpin venues would exist. A typical example are the new "Strike" bowling bars. They don't care about competition bowlers and are solely targeting the recreational bowlers and all are doing very well, even with their inflated prices.

Naturally, the comp bowlers are very important to the standard Tenpin operator, as they are the "Bread & Butter" clients and bring a consistent income. I don't know how long that you have been involved in the sport, but believe me, the competition side is sliding fast. In your last sentence, you mentioned that the world is changing and you have to go with the flow; you said everything that is wrong with Tenpin; if you go with the flow, you will drown and Tenpin will never be the same as we know it.

I am most likely much older than you and I can very well remember the high time of Tenpin from the beginnings in the sixties through the peak in the seventies and eighties. It's been going downhill ever since and it will continue to do so until the whole industry sees it and changes the course. During my early time playing the game, I have never even seen a 300 game, only heard about it. Any bowler that had an average in the 200th was very good and all that we used was one bowling ball; simple, round and the only custom made thing was the drilling of the finger holes. Today, 300 games are common and I just wonder what the bowlers that have achieved this are aiming for now? Two in a roe; or even three in a roe?

I started this column originally to make Tenpin participants think where it is all going. I don't know any Tenpin centre that is not struggling except if it has other things attached. Standing alone, they would be doomed.

It would be interesting to hear some comments from operators.

This thread has been done about 5 times in the past 3 years...

What big daz is saying is less about going with the flow and more about the fact that we cant go back to the way it was its just simply not possible no matter how many older bowlers go on about the 60's 70's etc the game has changed just like the rest of the world has. No disrespect to those of that generation by the way, you cant choose when you are born.

Here is a question... would the game (or is it a sport?) be any better if we banned multiple ball use and restricted the aggressive gear? Would the sport survive a radical change?

In my opinion NO chance!

Is there a balance? Maybe we restrict leagues to sport shots.... and maybe we lose all the league bowlers?

Damned if you do... Damned if you dont.

Continue...

Sorry Big Daz, this was not intended to have a shot at you, but can you guys see the problem and direction where the game is going? Roysa is right to ask; is it a game or a sport? I think the answer is both, definitely a sport to some, but it should never lose the attraction as a game to the general public. I have owned and operated a bowling centre for a while and I can see the challenges ahead. The comp bowlers, and this is probably 95% of the readers of this blog, are very passionate about their sport and they can sometimes be a bit to demanding on the operator of the centre. The operator of the centre faces increased costs on rent (a bowling centre has a huge floor area with 60% only used to roll a ball across), ever increasing electricity costs (and they have gone up by about 40% and will continue to raise), increase in salaries for staff and especially mechanic, equipment getting aged and need constant repair and upkeep and on top of this falling clientele.

Should the use of multiple balls be restricted? I don't know if this would be the answer, but maybe a restriction to only one ball could be introduced to some basic competitions. This would bring the field closer together and the new starters would not be so much intimidated. For the sport to prosper, new players have to be encouraged; and they come from the general public. There does not have to be a radical change, just loosen the restriction up a bit and put the fun back into it!

Still waiting for some response and opinion of bowling centre owners or managers.

No apology required. Opinions are great. And "Hacks" was a bad choice of wording on my part. All i meant by that was most guys/girls with atleast 1-2 years under their belt bowling are going to average 120-160. They hit the head pin more, get more spares but arent in that higher bracket yet. By hacks i also meant that a high percentage of those lower average bowlers bowl league with family and friends for fun socially and have no intent to bowl competitively at that stage. Its not serious business for them. Im 25 years old, have been active for about 14 years, and have myself seen the decline in every aspect across the board .. no pun intended.

The "go with the flow" comment only meant that 10 guys on an internet forum can not change the state of bowling on a national or worldwide scale. It would take a massively coordinated operation to get all bowling centres aligned with all these ideas that have been mentioned for the 4-5 years i have been on this forum. I've seen them all. Lots of good ideas but i dont think that freight train will ever leave the yard. Imagine not laying ditches country wide, 16 year old Johnny cant impress his girl mate anymore with his 185 average, cant spare, cant carry with his 350 rpm all rotation no power wrist flick. He throws 150s, rage quits. if 5 guys did that in every centre and stopped bowling then the centres lose money and the cycle starts all over again.

I really hate the way im coming off here, but i just dont think there is anything that can be done. If it were to improve i think it needs to start at National and state level. Nobody wants to sponsor events anymore. Thats where its got to start, why put up thousands of dollars sponsorship at a bowling tournament when u could but a couple of days airtime on national TV for the same price. Also some of the bowlers of this generation can be so elitist. If i didnt love my bowling so much i would of had ONE look at the way some people carry on and would of turned my back and walked away from tournament bowling. I have 3 and 5 year old girls .. GIRLS ..... and some of these fellas on the lanes give them a run for their money in the sulk department.

My dad and i have had many words with the manager of our bowl. Hes a good guy just trying to do the best he can with what he has. I know all about how hard things are for proprietors at the moment. We still have wood lanes here, and they have had their last cut/resurface. They can not be done again. He wants synthetics, the bowlers want synthetics, but unfortunately the Budget will not allow.

The machines are also very old, his main concern is that putting synthetics down would push more oil to the back and create more problems with his old machines. But on the flip side he cant do the machines first because of the money. He was talking $80,000 and up per lane to do the machines (i have no idea how valid that number is so dont bite me if it seems off). Hes not turning a profit annually so cant get a loan and he did the ball returns a few years ago, and had trouble recouping after that. Hard times for him and the bowl and yet our country challenge team give him a hard time for not supporting them. Where they show no loyalty AT ALL to him, none of them even bowl league practice. Just their 1 league a week.

Im surprised all that fit in.

Thanks BigDaz for this. The issues that you describe for your local centre is very wide spread. I don't know of any venue outside the cities that is doing any good and you only have to look at the other forum "Find a centre upates" in "Comments and Suggestions" to see what is currently happening.

Like to tell you a bit about myself: I started playing Tenpin in the sixties and gave it away in the eighties. Was never a crash hot bowler, but so-so. The reason why I gave it away, was that I got bored with it as it was always the same game, the same bowlers that I played against or with and I came to the end of my ability. We did not have any of the hi-tech balls of today and the term "rotation of the ball" was not known. You where either a straight bowler or you hooked the ball. However, I never lost my love for the game and continued to play with friends and family occasionally.

I grew up in Germany and earned my pocket money by being a pinboy on Friday and Saturday evenings as we had no automatic pinsetters in those days. The game that is played there is Kegel 9-pin, which is actually the original bowling game. I went for a holiday in 2002 back to my hometown and a few relatives took me to play the old game, which was located in the basement of a pub. I had my daughter and son-in-law with me, both mad keen Tenpinners. We ended up going three times bowling in the last week of our stay as everyone was wrapped in the variety of games. There were no special balls, all 6lb, no special shoes as you don't slide and no oil on the lanes. The automatic pinsetters did not fail a single time during our total of 6 hours of play, even they looked a bit neglected.

After arriving back in Australia, I decided to import two lanes and install this on my property. I had enough room on my 5 acres and built a tin shed to house it. The rest is history. We play it 3 to 4 times a week, have started small competitions and have held every year our own "Australian Championship". Anybody is welcome to come and have a go. I am just north of Coffs Harbour and my little venue is very well known around here. If you happen to come through Coffs, ring me on 0407 292112 and have a free game. Betcha you can't get a srike!

Now, please don't think that I like to hijack or bag Tenpin, this is not my intention. I only like to demonstrate that there are alternatives that can very well co-exist.

On Edit: after reading the post that went in while I was writing mine.. I'm with you on 9 pin, I've said this before, I have had massive amounts of fun bowling kegel 9 pin in Coffs before, and I have gotten a strike in it too, was really exciting too!

Here's an interesting thought about ball restrictions...

(I want to preface this by saying that I realise the Golf analogy has been done to death, but here I go..)

In Golf you are allowed a maximum of 14 Clubs. 14. take that in for a minute, golfers carry 14 different pieces of kit to help them improve their score. Do they NEED 14 clubs? no way, if you good enough, you can hit a driver 50 meters if you need to... the difference between an 8 iron and 7 iron is marginal at best (I do play golf by the way, not great, but not terrible either, just wanted to point that out), but they have these different clubs in their bag to make the sport what? more difficult? no... EASIER.. funny thing is though, no one even thinks about that...

We have multiple balls to cover a variety of different "landscapes" we may encounter when shoeing up to bowl. Just because we can't actually see this landscape doesn't make it any less relevant, if anything it makes it that much more difficult.

Bowling is definitely in decline, as with a lot of other sports, it's just that way it goes, trends shift, popularity of certain things have ebbs and flows, for all we know bowling could make a comeback in the next 5 years, I don't think it's likely, but you never know.

The one thing I do know is that back tracking is absolutely not the right answer, in fact it would more than likely kill the sport faster, as the equipment manufacturers would go broke, and the support they give would disappear, and that would be all she wrote.

Honestly, I doubt that there is much we (or anybody) can do about it, I know that sounds apathetic, it's not though, yeah, we can make league bowling harder, sure (I'm in the pro camp on this, I find I score better on harder patterns) we could limit the number of balls allowed in your bag at any one time (could be interesting for certain events, but not across the board, and if so, make it 14, he he). There will be people who run from the sport if changes are made in any direction, but a move to make it more difficult will more than likely drive people away, especially at league level.

Having integrity is great, it really is, but having integrity in a sport that is dead, really doesn't mean much...

I do like the idea of having levels of competition, and placing the correct level of "Importance" on each level, This has been brought up before (I think it was Belmo and Michael Little many moons ago) which rang true to me, each "level" of competition would have different criteria for that level, and the higher the level, the more recognition you receive for achieving certain things (honor scores, etc..)

Something needs to be done, but what and how, is all guess work at this point, no one knows what would work, and the only way to know would be to try it, the risk is, if you try the wrong thing, and the sport down further down the drain, rescue could be impossible, hence why the bowling world is hesitating to make a move...

Of course, all of that is just my opinion...

lol @ the "better bowlers" don't shoot the scores they do because of the equipment. That is a statement made by someone who is either blind or trying to protect their own image. Sure SOME of them might be more accurate but the majority are only good league bowlers who decide to bowl a few tourneys. Seen a few tourneys now, and am yet to see anything that makes the majority of them any better than anyone else. They are just the ones who can afford to bowl tourneys.

As for the decline, it is partly cost related. Bowling is getting expensive.

Thanks Ash for your comment; you are right, the Golf analogy has been used many times, but I don’t think it should be compared with bowling. In Golf you have lots of different conditions as the course is so varied with many obstacles in the way. A totally different game, virtually impossible to play with only on club. Bowling on the other hand has always the same condition as far as the physical dimension of the lane is concerned. The only difference is the oil on the surface.

But I like to go back to my original question: “Why is Tenpin bowling declining”. Surely, the diminishing numbers of competition bowlers is a large factor, but it can be offset to some extend with making bowling more interesting and help to draw a wider variety of the public to have a game. I am speaking purely from the operators view here and they are the ones that have to survive otherwise the sport of Tenpin will disappear forever. For the venue operator, the comp bowlers are the “Bread & Butter” income, which is a consistent and very reliable source of revenue and very important; even if it is declining and has so over many years.

A much larger thread to the viability is the huge expense of rent for the premises. Bowling centres require large floor areas and the largest part of it is only used to roll a ball across it. The actual area for the customers is only about one third of the total space. The second largest expense is the power consumption. The cost of electricity has doubled in the last three to four years and will not stop to increase in the foreseeable future. The third substantial expense is the salaries for staff and especially the mechanic. The older the equipment gets, the more repair and looking after is required. I have been to a number of centres lately and most of the equipment is starting to get very antiquated. Nearly all that have updated the pinsetters lately have done so with refurbished machinery from China. Naturally, it all depends on cost, but how long will this now last?

It would be interesting to get some honest feedback from owners and managers of centres.

Nev,

Tennis, you pay for a racquet, membership fees then less than $10 a week here.
Golf, you can walk in off the road and pay $20 to play for a few hours.
Cinema, depending what you buy $20-$30 for a few hours.
Tenpin - $12-$14 for 10-15 mins for social play.

Bowling is expensive compared to most things. Membership fees might be less but add up ongoing costs. Work out how much it is for non-members.

australia accepted everything american in the twenty years after the second world war tenpin was one, basically it is a northern hemishere sport played when everything is forced indoors for months and like all american influences of the time they are in decline.
most australian sports are still around still strong and only more expensive because of the insurance component.
its not only equipment that has evolved training methods have come just as far record your delivery watch it back instantly get someone that can explain the bio-mechanics your on your way to improving, coachs less in demand.
but by far the biggest reason cost, my wife and I bowled in two leagues last year forty bucks each plus a few drinks etc $100 a week if we hadnt given up the fags we couldnt afford to bowl too much.
davet

Two things come to mind...

1. Cost
2. Computer Games
3. Attitude

Computer games have created a society of lazy kids.. Games are addictive and you lose all reality of time.. Also, not a lot of kids these days like a challenge. Unlike computer games, there is no "I Win" button.

I was watching a good young bowler the other week and he was going through a rough trot with his bowling. because of this, he is going to quit. Is this a good attitude to have? I don't think so.. Not that long ago, he bowled a 300.. God I wish I could bowl a 300 game...

I don't quit when things don't go my way, I strive to go further and get better.

That's my 2c.

Regards,

Two things come to mind...

1. Cost
2. Computer Games
3. Attitude

Computer games have created a society of lazy kids.. Games are addictive and you lose all reality of time.. Also, not a lot of kids these days like a challenge. Unlike computer games, there is no "I Win" button.

I was watching a good young bowler the other week and he was going through a rough trot with his bowling. because of this, he is going to quit. Is this a good attitude to have? I don't think so.. Not that long ago, he bowled a 300.. God I wish I could bowl a 300 game...

I don't quit when things don't go my way, I strive to go further and get better.

That's my 2c.

Regards,

How true - How true What Have We Done ?

Back
Top Bottom