Bowling...the unfittest sport out there

R

REG

:roll: I know this is going to looked upon with some distaste, but hey that’s the joy of free speech!

After hearing the grinds of many over the prize monies of various tournaments over oz (due to sponsorship/numbers) it alarms me that not a lot has been done to in some way sell tenpin better!

The need for sponsors is necessary irrespective of numbers, this is where the problem lies......looking from a corporate prospective or even bobs plumbing down the road, why would I want to give money to a sport which I see declining over years due to the unhealthy (overweight) state of 70% of rep players, who wants lumpy lard holding aloft the Murdoch Trophy? Plain and simple there is not enough appeal whether that be sex or publicity for the sponsor.....................

C’mon Australian Organisations get your fingers out and see really what the problem is, chuck out the shitty trophies give ‘em gym memberships!!!!!!

[WHY WOULD I WANT TO GIVE MONEY TO A SPORT WHICH I SEE DECLINING OVER YEARS DUE TO THE UNHEALTHY(OVERWEIGHT) STATE OF 70% OF REP PLAYERS, WHO WANTS LUMPY LARD HOLDING ALOFT THE MURDOCH TROPHY?]

Reg, Reg, Reg,

I think our sport is going down hill because of the attitudes of dumpy little accountants, like yourself, with all your negative bulls*#t that you dribble.

Bowling (like many other sports) have their ups and downs, but it is usually people with something positive to contribute that help.

As with many sports the people come in all shapes and sizes, ages and abilities and they do excel, eg. Mike Tyson was laughed at for being to light and to short when he first turned pro but he still became heavy weight champion of the world.

On the world stage of tenpin bowling some of the ladies on the PWBA tour are not to small but gee they can bowl and can draw the sponsors.

Golfs Big John Daly, very overweight, drinks to much, smokes to much, wouldn't mind some of his sponsorship dollars.

Some of our best bowlers in Australia at the moment may not be the most athletic of athletes, they are not Patrick Johnson and do not have to sprint 100m, they have to bowl and their build whatever it may be should not matter, it is their skill and talent that lets be up there in this, their chosen sport.

Did you ever think that some of these larger people that have excelled at our sport may not have been much chop at another sport but have represented us well at national and international levels.

Finally Reg, grab a big mirror and have a look at yourself, do you fit the typical stereotype of an accountant, short, dumpy, balding with glasses. I hope not but then again who knows.

Q. Are you employed because of what you look like or because of your accounting skills?

Regards (I think)
Rob

WHAT EXAMPLES TO GIVE IM GLAD.............. YOUR RIGHT THEY DONT HAVE TO BE LIKE PAT JOHNSON....I BOWL ENOUGH TO REALISE THAT A FAT ARSE CAN BOWL 300 JUST AS MUCH AS THE OTHER, OH AND DONT WORRY I GATHER FROM YOUR ARGUMENT YOU FIT RIGHT INTO WHAT IM ON ABOUT

GET AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER, GO FOR A JOG

P.S IM 6'2 BLONDE AND AVERAGE BUILD BUT I AINT THE ONE OUT THERE FLOOGING A DEAD HORSE!!!!!

Sounds like a little spite in your post somewhere there REG. So your whole basis is that larger individuals have no place in sport, they are damaging to the physical appeal of the sport and as such sponsors dont want anything todo with a sport whose competitors are in your view a bunch of fat pricks?. Hmm whats that funny sport called, the ones where the athletes are treated like gods and it is a national recognised sport. Whats it called again... Ohh yes, Japanese Sumo Wrestling.

Get off your high horse REG, it has already been discussed many times before, the situation is a big of a catch 22. Sponsors want major publicity in the forms of mass media (television, papers, radio etc), and for the media to happen we need decent sponsorship in order to cover costs.

Some of the most entertaining bowlers in the world do not fit your 'perfect' requirements. I would rather watch and bowl with a energetic, motivated larger person who isnt affraid to show his/her emotions, over a stick figure who sits there, doesnt say a word, shows no emotion and is basically a bore to watch.

Ohh yeah i just thought of another major sport in which big bucks are envolved. World Championship Darts. It's huge in the UK, they make great money, they have huge sponsorship deals, the public love them. So whats the deal there too?

The bowlers i know and the ones i have spoken to who could be considered in the top bowlers in the country (elite if you prefer) all look pretty healthy to me, our sport is such that a few extra kilo's isnt the difference between winning and loosing, rather ability and hard work are the biggest contributors to success.

So you are prepared to get everyone going, and with your 70% claim of reps being overweight, care to put names to your claims to support your stance? Hey just look at the top 10 placings for the super 6 events, anything to say about them?

Everything in our sport is relevant, fans want to enjoy themselves. Fans will generally choose a player they think they can most connect with. Every sport has it's playboy's, they are the drawcard, it's the ones with the right attitude, the tallent and the determination that keeps the sport alive. I dont know about anyone else but in the last 5 or so years bowling at the grass roots level has really started to change. Everything has become so serious at every level of the sport that new bowlers find quite intimidating.

Critisism is good if you have something to offer, sorry but your post sounds too much like a troll to be taken seriously.

Reg,

Stop being a tossa.

I don't fit your criteria, I'm 5'11 and 82kg.

I think youv'e been flogging your own dead horse a little to much.

Any fat arse can bowl a 300! How many have you bowled???

Get a real gripe :!: :!:

Hey Reg im not the fittest person but i would take your bitch ass on at bowling any time.

Ciao For Now

Deano

reg, thats really harsh man. who said u had to be a certain weight to play bowling? physical apperance means absolutely nothing in bowling, its whether u know how to bowl or not, thats the main point. I'm a big guy, i'm 6'4 and i'm not the fittest person in the world, but i bet i could kick ur ass so easy, because i practice and i'm good at wot i do.

I think u should do a little thinkin before u post shit again. Maybe u'll realise thats size and weight dont mean shit in this sport

Later

REG if you watched a tournament you would see that most of the people are actually quite fit, and yes sex appeal works, get some sexay bowlers on tv looking liek there having fun, hey like come on when Anna Kournikova plays tennis the ratings are twice as high as most other female matches, SEX APPEAL people, it works.

I don't think bowling should have to go to that level to get ratings or sponsors or whatever. But that's just my opinion.

Sure Anna Kournikova is hot, and she gets tennis rating.... but she doesnt no how to play tennis, so wot good is she to herself if she cant win ne tournaments?? In order for her to get the sponsorship deals, she has to win matches to make the brand look good. Losing matches = ppl thinkin that the brand is crap coz she loses. Anna makes it look bad.. thats all i can say. Think about it

Later

This is not a negative response but I can't believe what I'm reading here. I agree that bowlers come in all shapes and sizes but what I think REG was saying is if you owned a major, or even minor business, what would YOU be looking for when looking at a line up of famous bowlers to advertise your business? I know what the business side of me would say. I'd be looking to sponsor the best image possible for my business, and that's the facts so lets get passed this please. What I would like to see is bowlers acting like athletes. It may change things. Thats all. I don't care what they look like. That would mean no alcohol before bowling, and maybe some centres providing a few healthy options in food. The day the public regard bowlers as athletes is a day I will be very proud of. I love the sport and want only the best for it. I wish it could be in the Olympics. Don't condemn me please. I love Bowling.

Sounded alot like a troll to me. Besides, there are many more hurdles between getting that sort of exposure than the physical appearence of the bowlers in the sport.

systematic said:
Sure Anna Kournikova is hot, and she gets tennis rating.... but she doesnt no how to play tennis, so wot good is she to herself if she cant win ne tournaments?? In order for her to get the sponsorship deals, she has to win matches to make the brand look good. Losing matches = ppl thinkin that the brand is crap coz she loses. Anna makes it look bad.. thats all i can say. Think about it

Later

That is not the point, people don't watch her play because she is a great tennis player, they watch because she is hot. Bowling needs ratings!

it is always sad when looks are the major factor into getting sponsorship or ratings, this should not be the case.

bowlers are sporting athletes as much as anyone else in another sport. at least the bowling equipment manufacturers realise that what is important is results and thats why the top bowlers in this country are eligible for this type of sponsorship. if only the outside world could see this and follow their lead.

also when i see the social bowlers watching a league or a tournament, they aren't there to watch the 'lookers' throwing mediocre scores, instead, they are watching the bowlers who have a nice shot and/or get good consistent results on the lanes (which could lead to more registered bowlers in this country, and as a long shot, get the participation levels back up to what they used to be in the 80's/early 90's)

this definitely isn't a beauty contest :D

thats my bit on this topic :)

later :twisted: :p :twisted:

mickey mickey mickey... i'm sure that if anna knew how to play she would be dangerous. Looks have nothing to do wif sport. Its the way u play that is important. Admit it, there are some ugly people in sport - golf, football, basketball etc. And size doesnt matter. Bugsy Moes (cant spell) played/plays for the Charlotte Hornets in the NBA. He was on 5'5 i think, no taller than 5'7. Yet that didnt stop him from playing, and he is one of the best basketballers in the world. Same as bowling, ppl in bowling aren't the slimmest, fittest or woteva, but if they no how to bowl, then really thats all that matters. Would a President Shield team be ne good if all the bowlers were good looking, and couldnt bowl consistantly? no. Mickey, plz do some serious thinking ay...

Later

Size has nothing to do with it! God look at Andrew Frawley and Jason Belmonte they aren't small guys and um are they sponsored?? I do believe so...and um who by?? umm yes thats right storm... so size has sh!t all to do with who the good bowlers are.. what would be the point of sponsoring some good looking guy or girl that can't bowl for crap.. that would just b stupid and pointless! so whoeva thinks size has anything to do with who can bowl good n who can bowl bad.. ur wrong

Quote 'Fitness:The state or condition of being fit; suitability or appropriateness.' Unquote (The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language) What does this mean?
If a single bowler has the ability to run 20kms, do 100 push-ups, and 200 sit-ups, will this help them if they cannot reproduce the same motion while bowling? Not at all. In bowling the word 'fit' doesnt mean what i just said. A fit bowler is one that can bowl the 10 consecutive games without collapsing on the floor after 3. Now im not saying that we should now aspire to not be fit, no not at all, it could help, but only if you have the talent on the lanes to go with your physical fitness. I'll name some pro's off the top of my head, Brian Himmler, Jason Couch. These guys look like they have a good time after the tourny, but i bet you for my life they can bowl 20 consecutive games better then anyone out here. Why? because thats how they have trained their bodies. Their bodies dont need to run 20kms, no, they just gotta walk back forth about 1km for 10 games (assuming 12 foot approach, 20 shots = 240 feet, 3 feet to a metre=80 metres, 10 games = 800 metres, add riding! only approx, if any of my maths is wrong, im sorry and feel free to correct me). So in short, the general physical fitness bloke wont WIN, and therefore earn sponsorship dollars, if he cant bowl as well as the guy who can.

In Relation to the Good looking bowlers needed argument. Micky_Macca is correct in saying Sex Sells, Anna would make MILLIONS from sponsorship dollars alone. However, in bowling right now, we need people who can bowl and bowl well week in week out to make the sponsors turn their heads. When, and only when, bowling has a diffinate sponsorship base, then they might try and use the good looking people to promote the sport, but even then, it might not be nessacary, simply because, as i said, it isnt always the good looking ones who the crowds in general come to watch. Serena Williams or Anna? One can play Tennis, one cant, people watch the one who can, Males watch the other!

Later Da Cowman!

da_cowman said:
Quote 'Fitness:The state or condition of being fit; suitability or appropriateness.' Unquote (The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language) What does this mean?
If a single bowler has the ability to run 20kms, do 100 push-ups, and 200 sit-ups, will this help them if they cannot reproduce the same motion while bowling? Not at all. In bowling the word 'fit' doesnt mean what i just said. A fit bowler is one that can bowl the 10 consecutive games without collapsing on the floor after 3. Now im not saying that we should now aspire to not be fit, no not at all, it could help, but only if you have the talent on the lanes to go with your physical fitness. I'll name some pro's off the top of my head, Brian Himmler, Jason Couch. These guys look like they have a good time after the tourny, but i bet you for my life they can bowl 20 consecutive games better then anyone out here. Why? because thats how they have trained their bodies. Their bodies dont need to run 20kms, no, they just gotta walk back forth about 1km for 10 games (assuming 12 foot approach, 20 shots = 240 feet, 3 feet to a metre=80 metres, 10 games = 800 metres, add riding! only approx, if any of my maths is wrong, im sorry and feel free to correct me). So in short, the general physical fitness bloke wont WIN, and therefore earn sponsorship dollars, if he cant bowl as well as the guy who can.

In Relation to the Good looking bowlers needed argument. Micky_Macca is correct in saying Sex Sells, Anna would make MILLIONS from sponsorship dollars alone. However, in bowling right now, we need people who can bowl and bowl well week in week out to make the sponsors turn their heads. When, and only when, bowling has a diffinate sponsorship base, then they might try and use the good looking people to promote the sport, but even then, it might not be nessacary, simply because, as i said, it isnt always the good looking ones who the crowds in general come to watch. Serena Williams or Anna? One can play Tennis, one cant, people watch the one who can, Males watch the other!

Later Da Cowman!

LOL as well as being a funny post, I agree with you...mostly.

Im not necessarily saying we need drop dead sexy blondes in bowling commercials, but people that stand out.

The basketball player Bugsy Moes would be a great ambassador for his sport because he isnt your average huge basketball player, but he is still good.

Thats why people like the 2 handed man BELMO are great for this sport, they are out of the ordinary but they are very good at what they do, and its also fun to watch.

And also bowling needs to be seen as a fun sport, we need out top bowlers looking like they enjoy there game, if a bowling association made a commercial my pick would be Belmo and Jez out there playing there shots, riding, looking like they are really pumped, with high fives and all.

It's the same with my friends from school, at first they were like Pfft bowlng isn't a sport, so i convinced them to do bowling for sport and actually showed them what could be done with a ball. And by no means what so ever am i in any way amazing, but now they accept bowling as a sport and even one of them started up with league. People have to know that bowling just isnt stinking two fingers and a thumb in a ball and throwing it down the lane.

Sorry for the long and probably very confusing post but lots of thaught came to me at once and i just poured them all out together.

Oh and Anna is hot which ever way you look at it :p

Back
Top Bottom