Innisfail Sugarbowl Switch Open

Jase

Admin
Staff member
Was just looking at the Numbers they had for the Switch open...

EJ, his staff and family should really be commended for the effort they put in up their in Innisfail...

Even though they had under 70% of the full field in attendance...they still payed out over $20,000 in prize money...

Also long time supporter and sponsor of Total Bowling Steve Jones from Switch Bowling should be commended for the support he gives this event and bowling in Australia...The prize fund from what i can tell looked fantastic, which I am sure is in no small way due to Steve's support of this event...Sponsors are so hard to find and i believe should be thanked time and time again for their efforts...I feel we don't take the time to say thank you to these people often enough...

I have to say that over the last 2 weeks Qld has showcased its self as a Major Player in hosting Bowling Events throughout Australia...With the Switch Open, K&K and QLD Ladies classic coming up...QLD is showing that bowling is alive and well in the sunshine state...

Well done again To EJ and Steve and all involved in another successful event in the far North...

Jase I totally agree with your comments.

Switch Bowling and Steve Jones have been very generous to the bowling community, and should be applauded for their committment to our sport.

I know EJ and his family have put a lot of time, effort and money into getting the tournament up and running and deserve every success.

I think another pertinent fact is that even with less than 70% of the full field in attendance there were still 66 bowlers who took part.

It was great that some of the best bowlers in the country came up to bowl, and any field that contains George Frilingos, Carl Bottomley, Ann-Marie Putney, Jason Walsh. Michael Little, Brandon Qualischefski, Brian Pilkington, and Kate Pilkington is a very strong one.

The see sawing battle for 1st between George, Carl and AMP on Sunday was awesome to watch (unless you were one of the other finalists :D), with the lead changing regularly due to some amazing bowling.

Cheers

Steve

Absolutely concur with your sediments Jase. As I mentioned in my speech EJ and his staff work tirelessly in putting together one of the premier events on the Australian Bowling Calendar. With the change to SWITCH a few years ago, Innisfail is a world class facility tucked away in little North Queensland, very impressive.

As we have seen from the K&K and the SWITCH open, tournament planning starts 1yr out, the success of these tournaments is not only with sponsors but the work that goes into obtaining them and giving them a reason to support the sport.

I would like to personally thank SWITCH and Steve Jones (who was unable to be present) and the other sponsors who contributed to the event, from all the bowlers, it is much appreciated.

I would like to also commend EJ for proactively contacting KEGEL and obtaining a pattern which was not a carryfest. Challenging patterns and conditions are hard to find in this country, EJ went to a lot of trouble to describe the lane surface, humidity, conditions and desired scoring pace. I think all bowlers agree that without free hook, the skill factor comes back in. Thanks EJ, it was a battle.

Look forward to a bigger and better SWITCH Open in 2011.

G

Well done George on your win. Big thanks to Switch and Steve Jones for their support to Australian bowling. Must agree with Jase, Queensland is way ahead on the tournament scene.
Cheers Lovey

I agree whole heartedly.

EJ, family and staff really deserve every bit of praise that they get. It was a great event and one I know will grow in time to come.

To Steve, your support in the past 2 years has been amazing and I hope that you can stay involved for many more years to come.

To think that between the K&K and the events in Cairns, Innisfail, Townsville and Mackay we have a number of the best and most well supportedevents in the country is an amazing thought but the reality is that it is also true.

Congrats to all the centres and promoters in NQ for running such exceptional events you really have allowed bowling to thrive in Qld.

Regards
Carl

+1
EJ and Mandy put their heart and soul into the centre and this tournament, and it shows. Thanks also to Steve Jones for helping make this event one of the premier weekends of Australian bowling.
I would also like to thank EJ personally for having the courage to put out a shot that challenged all of the competitors in this event to come up with their very best or go home. The shot was tough but very fair, as shown by the variation in styles that made it to the top 12. Shotmaking and execution were at a premium all weekend, just as it should be, the tournament came down to the last game, and was won by the best bowler on the day. That is everything a sporting contest should be, and while there were still those who wanted to blame the lane conditions for their inability to repeat shots, there were many more who will go away with a better idea of what they need to do to get their game to the next level.
Looking forward to next year already. Thanks guys!

You're right Robbie about the pattern it was challenging, but the 3 people who executed consistently good shots finished at the top.

There was no free hook, bounce areas or hold areas through the middle - it was an accuracy contest which is the foundation of our sport.

The pattern highlighted a number of flaws in my game which I need to work on (and if anyone mentions my revs or lack thereof I'll sue them :D :D).

One of the highlights of the weekend for me was beating Carl Bottomley in matchplay for just the 3rd time since my first encounter with him in 1986 during President's Shield. 3 wins in 24 years is about the same strike rate I have during arguments with my Wife :D :D (Sorry about showing our age Carl :)

Cheers

Steve

I would like to whole heartedly agree with all the above comments, it was a top weekend, most definitely a challenging condition I thought I was on top of for a while and I thought the majority of people bowled well considering what was required to score.

It was amazing to see the amount of effort not only EJ but all staff put into the event and it was also a refreshing change to spend a couple of hours hanging around after having a chat, giving some feedback and sharing stories over a few drinks, more or less like the old days of bowling gone by where the proprietors and tournament staff cared about the bowlers.

I can only hope this event will be run again next year, bigger and better and hopefully those people who pulled out a few days prior for whatever circumstances will reconsider their decision for next year and make the trip. It will be well worth it and EJ and his staff need all the support they can get for being brave enough to run such a quality tournament as they are few and far between.

Two great weekends in QLD shows the strong support bowling still has in that state, it is a shame it is not repeated elsewhere.

On behalf of Paul Costante, Switch Bowling Asia Pacific and myself I'd like to thank all those bowlers who participated in the Open at Innisfail, congratulate the winners and of course extend our most sincere thanks to E-J, his family and associates who made the event such a great success.

I'd also like to thank and acknowledge those who so kindly contributed to this thread and for the generous words noted - and very particularly the personal compliments made.

Switch is a great company with professional, dedicated people and a sensational product - it will prosper - Paul Costante will see to that in Australia and the entity will grow globally.

However my time in this industry, the sport and the game are over - it's been a great 48 year ride and that's a long time in anyone's book - long enough to understand that all anyone can do is ones best and when it's time to leave - well, it's time to leave.

Good luck and thank you.

Well Jonsey what a shame that time has come, I understand totally. Wishing you all the best in what ever you do. Keep hitting those golf balls son, then when I'm in Perth we will have a hit. You have been a credit to the bowling industry for a long time and your input will be missed. Keep in touch mate.
Cheers Lovey

Back
Top Bottom