New Sports Touted For Olympics

Feral

New sports touted for Olympics: Rogge
07:40 AEDT Tue Nov 23 2004

AP - IOC President Jacques Rogge says new sports could be introduced in future editions of the Olympic games, but only on condition that an equal number of disciplines is dropped.

"We'll decide (about new entries) in 2005. Golf, rugby, squash and roller skating are knocking on the door," Rogge told newspaper Corriere della Sera in an interview.

"But for every novelty, we will need to give up a discipline. Nothing can be added. The golden numbers are 300 events, 28 sports, 10,400 athletes at most," he said.

Rogge also praised the contribution that TV networks and commercial sponsors make to the Olympics, saying they helped to develop sports and encourage the presence of poor countries at the games.

However, Rogge warned that commercial interests should not be allowed to dominate the Olympics. "Only one danger exists, that sponsors and televisions can try to control our strategies. We will prevent it," he said.

Rogge said he was not worried by political squabbles, budget deficit and delays that have been casting doubts over the organisation of the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin.

"Italians will do what the Greeks did ... maybe at the last minute, but the games will be ready. And I bet they will be fantastic games," he said.

Not good news for Tenpin :cry:

Feral

Roller Skating?
Im sure this will attract HUGE crowds...I will go..and be the sneaky little so and so that throws pebbles in the path of the skaters :twisted:

I think by roller skating they mean the down hill roller blading where they get up to like 80km/h and well they slip and fall they go hurtling into a barricade and severly damage themselves... i think they are trying to get with the times and introduce extreme sports, but I dont see the point, they have the X Games, why have it in the olympics??

I reckon it'd be more interesting to see what sports they take out if some new ones are coming in.

I think we'd all like to see bowling come back into the Commonwealth Games since its starting to look more and more shaky for bowling in the Olympics. Pity its not included for Melbourne in 2006.

Back
Top Bottom