Encouraging step for Bowling's Olympic aspirations

elsie

Report published today by "Inside the Games" reporter, Nick Butler ...

Baseball and softball lead eight sports shortlisted for Tokyo 2020 inclusion
Monday, 22 June 2015

• Baseball and softball, karate, squash, bowling, roller sports, climbing, surfing and wushu are the eight sports nominated for the next stage of the application process to be added to the Olympic programme for Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, it has been announced this morning.

The decision, compiled from a list of 26 applicants, was made today following a meeting of the Tokyo's 2020 Additional Events Programme Panel in the Japanese capital chaired by the head of imaging giants Canon Fujio Mitarai.

The list holds few surprises, with baseball and softball long seen as the favourites to be restored to the Olympic programme follow their exclusion after Beijing 2008.

Squash, karate, roller sports, wushu and sport climbing, meanwhile, all applied in the initial inclusion process ultimately won by wrestling in 2013 following the controversial decision to axed them after Rio 2016 before a campaign was launched to

Surfing is included following an extensive marketing campaign, while bowling is the least expected addition, benefiting from its increased profile at other major multi-sport events such as the Asian Games.

Those 18 that have been unsuccessful consist of air sports, american football, bowls, bridge, chess, dancesport, floorball, flying disc, korfball, netball, orienteering, polo, racquetball, snooker, sumo, tug of war, underwater sports and water skiing.

All eight federations will now progress to a second stage of the application process, which will include the submission of further details by July 22 before Briefings to organisers due to take place in Tokyo on August 7 and 8.

An unspecified number will then be proposed to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in September, before a final decision is due to made by its membership at its Session in Rio de Janeiro in August of next year.

New sports must be a "driving force to promote the Olympic Movement and its values, with a focus on youth appeal", it has been explained, while they must also "engage the Japanese population and new audiences worldwide, reflecting the Tokyo 2020 Games vision".

No details have been released about the contents of each Federations applications, with no more information expected until September.

World Bowling has circulated a newsletter overnight re the sport's shortlisting for consideration as an additional sport in the Tokyo 2020 Games - included is reference to a poll underway by The Wall Street Journal Asia .... please cast your vote in support of Bowling ....
http://www.wsj.com/articles/BL-JRTB-20215

Hardly surprising that a vote conducted in Asia is largely resulting in Bowling leading the way.

Thank you Lynne.

We have been in this position before and now we are at a point in the history of our sport where it "has to happen."

The only way to get the credibility that we know our sport has and always has had is the next step. This one step will have the most unbelievable reaction around the world if inclusion and success follows. Think back to every person in this country who has worn the green and gold and contributed millions of dollars in the belief that not only would they and their team do well but their efforts would lead to the holy grail.

The stigma of clown shoes, beer and skittles, Sunday afternoon hit and miss, would disappear. The fine technicalities of our sport would emerge. I look at the devolution of the sports pathway over the last 10 years and wonder why I started when I was 14 and worse, why I am still here.

The PBA has done an amazing job in the history of this sport. So to have other counties. The European system is strong and amazing, just like many of the Asian countries.

Some times we let the standards drop in every aspect of the sport and it spreads like an infection. Foul lights not on every day is where it started for me. Centres thinking that it wasn't necessary, and still do, outrageous and appalling language in competitions, deliberate tardy bowling, the list has many different faces. I think the one that really hurt was alcohol too close to the lanes. In a controlled area is fine, but on the lanes, at the back of the lanes, for me sends the wrong message for parents and the next generation of kids. Many will disagree. It is tiresome to listen to people saying that the world is changing. Its true. But we can all make a difference.

We need EVERY PERSON on social media to be a lot more thoughtful and kinder in EVERY aspect of it's use. If we think that the global controlling bodies of sport don't watch social media and form ideas, impressions and make decisions, then we are having a laugh.

Everyone has been responsible for the decline.

Everyone can help to fix the problem by doing the little things to ensure the survival of this sport.

Is there a way to vote to save the sport?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom