Seven Sports Trying For The 2016 Olympics - Bowling NOT Among Them!!!!!

Brenton_Davy

900Global bowler
Heard on the news today that 7 sports bodies are vying for the 2 remaining spots in the 2016 Olympics, including Roller sports, Squash, Baseball, softball, karate and squash. Obviously bowlings dream of Olympic acceptance is dead and buried as we are not even trying to get in any more.

It just adds credence to my belief that I will not see bowling in the olympics in my life time.

I knosw that bowling is recognised by the IOC, but bowling is currently making no attempt for inclusion in the Olympic Games itself. Has the olympic dream been finally put to bed?

If the FIQ handed over $15 million to IOC they would have got upgraded from an exhibition to a demonstration sport at Barcelona '92 (read this in one of my old Bowlers Journals if anyone thinks im making it up)

Adrian nice detective work - my memory is that the US$15 million "could have" taken the sport to medal status - now [and again my memory is foggy] demonstration sports did enjoy medal status as a one time event in whatever Olympics they were in - and then it was "assumed" [hhmm not too comfortable with that] that the sport would simply roll over and on to future Olympics as a full medal sport. My memory is that the reason the funds were not made available [and the FIQ aspect in the BJ story is of course code for "commercial enterprise"..the FIQ has no real worth, the support had to come from commercial backing] was that unclear "assumption" aspect. Hardly solid enough to throw $15 million at as a one time exercise.

Interesting read though your BJ article - I bet.

Steve

Cant remember reading a full article about it, it popped up in the 'pats and pans' section in the annual one yr though which is where i remember it from.

makes you wonder how we can be taken as a serious sport when you stop and think when was the last time you saw a article, news spot or even a listing of results for a tournament in a newspaper??? :mad:
the herald sun lists results for everything from badminton to table tennis, water polo and every result for cricket and footy from under 9's to seniors. bet theres not a chance in hell we as a sport, yes a sport, will ever be acnowledged as anything other than a novelty or a place to take the kids when its raining, without "the powers that be" get US some media exposure, and i'm not talking about youtube. the TBA need to do something about this before we are forever labelled as a activity. knitting is an activity for christs sake!!! you can get as many juniors, adults, old bowlers, new bowlers, whoever, into this "activity" and it wont make a snowballs chance in hell of making this sport recognised without media exposure.

p.s. apologies to any bowlers who also knit.

Back
Top Bottom