What's the best Masters Format?

Andrew S.

Gold Coast
Could we please have some opinions on the most suitable format for an Adult Open Masters Event? Should Qld change to a Round Robin or remain Double Elimination?

The double elimination format is tough and can be "unfair", but it's exciting. The pressure is always on in this format, and you can't afford to drop a frame against your opponent. Until this year I hadn't done this format for over 2 years, I'd forgotton what the pressure can be like when you really need a double to win.

However, Round Robin format would find who is the most consistant over a number of games. I reckon it would be really good if for next year, the masters was spread over two days. So you'd have the round robin with the top 32 or however many on the Saturday, and then take top 8 or 16 into Sunday with a stepladder format, maybe two-game block single elimination. I don't know how practical that would be, but it would be something a little different to what we normally get in masters here.

Or even better - get the final into the convention centre and have TV finals :rolleyes: I really wish we could have a tournament like that in Australia. The general public won't be interested in bowling until Australian tournaments are on TV.

Definately the double elimination system for me. It rewards bowlers for winning their matches rather than scoring, thats what masters is all about, doing what you have to do in order to beat the other guy. The pressure is what makes it great, it showcases those who have the tough mental game and those that will crack, it doesnt matter if its a 130 or a 230 (some of the most nerve racking rounds have been tough, low scoring battles), a win is a win and thats how it should stay :)

I love Masters Double Elimination if the numbers warrant it!!!! In the 'old' days, the numbers were there, the format is tough, the whingers were out in force (lucky to win etc. etc.!!!!) but the pressure was there for all to see...different formats produce different results and it is easier to get into a comfort zone with just games - real head to head produces great matches and even greater moans!!!! So what is new??

However!!!! I hate Double Elimination when there are byes and you have only 8 qualifiers etc. etc.....I heard a Bris. Area bowler once say she finished third in the Area Masters and this went on her resume for Rachuig qual.....there were only 3 starters !!!!! Give that a miss......

Flower

I agree with Mary you have to have the numbers for double elimination. Double elimination is the way to go but to make it fairer you can go to three games matches. The ABC's in the US uses four game matches, or used to. It's been a while since I looked.

well, we are talking about an adult open masters event, not just any event. One would think you would have more than 3 starters.

Id hate to see it go though, my only regret is i havent won one yet! a couple of seconds and a few thirds but never past the line. Id still like a chance to win one before bits and pieces need replacement :D

Hi To Everyone...

Myself Agree With Mary Flower-observed What Mary Flower's Message

Myself Think Double Elimination Format Are Unfair If Scratch Only Because Our Old Days-found It Is More Diffcult To Be Won A Event In Your Goal.once Time, Myself Did Played In It-it Was Hard One!!

More Better Is Round Robin In Comfortable To Do-head To Head Each One Or Two Games What Depending In Our National Deaf Championship Or States

Cheers David(deaf Lefty) :d

I really cant see how people can complain it is unfair. I mean, the simple fact of the matter is, when you had to perform, you didnt, it doesnt matter how you bowled in the previous 4 months, or even the rest of the day/weekend prior to it, none of it matters. Thats hardly unfair IMHO, if you get beaten you were beaten by somebody better.

Double elimantaion only works if you have the numbers. If you don't, then maybe just doing it like the handicap masters is, bowl a set number of games and whoever is the best wins, would be better. One major criticism i have of the format, is that if you win through to the final, you are almost certain to win. For example, this years junior nq masters saw the undefeated losem, rechallenge and win.

i dont like double elimination because you could end up paying alot of money for only 4 games! id prefer head to head total pinfall.

Toocool said:
Double elimantaion only works if you have the numbers. If you don't, then maybe just doing it like the handicap masters is, bowl a set number of games and whoever is the best wins, would be better. One major criticism i have of the format, is that if you win through to the final, you are almost certain to win. For example, this years junior nq masters saw the undefeated losem, rechallenge and win.

Thats the idea of a repechage, it rewards bowlers who went through undefeated. Its a bit of a curse because you can go cold over the break while sitting out.

I've always thought round-robin was the way to go.

Playing everybody once means no-body can argue someone was lucky to win. Double-elimination may see one of the better bowlers eliminated early. Someone may have one of the highest averages of the weekend and still be eliminated because two people they came up against had a good series. Even though it comes down to luck for something like that, it's always good to see those who have been working hard, bowling well and deserve to be at the top actually be at the top!

For entertainment value definately double-elimination. Even SPC which was single-elimination was great to watch. The bowlers are under a lot more pressure.

Either way though, everyone has access to an entry form. If they don't like the format no body is forcing them to bowl!

gotta say espeically when i bowled juniors I loved Double elimin

you cant beat it.

If you lost first up you knew the pressure was on and you had to perform, having said that the only masters ive ever won, wasnt double elim it was round robin and step ladder

go figure

Back
Top Bottom