Whats going on

mattr

Well hello good folk of Tasmania

Just thought i would say hi to all of you. I have just been doing some reading and it really makes me wonder whats going on down there with the lane condition. When did moonah get so easy, i mean i havent bowled there for 3 years and i remeber that centre used to be a pain in the a$$ but obviously with the new condition the lanes have become like the launceston of old where if you didnt have average 230 you didnt have a chance. Also when i was down in Tassie at easter i had a roll at burnie, and i must congratulate the new management, they have done a great job with the lanes and centre. I had roll and from memory i threw 720 or something for 3 games with no warmup.

Anyway just thought i would see how u all are travelling, i mighit see some of you at the brunswick cup in december if not im sure it will be at a tournament somewhere. Say Burnie should get the Burnie cup going again because people still ask me here whens in coming back

Be good

Matt riley

Gday mate,good to see you are still kickin sum mainland butt,how is ya anyways,i think the new manager likes to average over 210 so that means anyone with a decent shot that is righthanded should average 230,you would average 250 easily,cant wait to catch up with you at some tournaments,i got a new sponser so i will be travelling a bit in the future,catch up with you then :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

yeah i am lucky to have a new sponsor also, i will be travelling to asia a bit later this year and next year also travelling across aussie to bowl alot more

hows devonport these days hahah is it still crap

Gday Matt,
Good to see you are still bowling and doing well over there, I can't remember the last time I saw you, would've been a Rachuig Roll-off two or three years ago from memory. Hope you're well and staying outta trouble etc...lol

The averages from Moonah in the first season of league were the highest I've seen them yes:
A friendly pattern and resurface has seen scores rise somewhat in recent months.

Centre League Averages
Rodney Radcliffe....... 211.35
Matt Cramond.............. 209.72
Simon Gourlay............ 209.70
Paul Oakley................. 209.18
Andrew Phillips........... 208.50

That's the top five from the biggest league at Moonah
I topped the averages two years ago in the same league on 202.
1st Season of 2001, I averaged 194 - and was runner up in the averages.
So it certainly has gone through the roof, also new particle balls would have to figure in there as well.

Current bowlers to be averaging 200 at Moonah: 9

Radcliffe: 211
Phillips: 214, 208, 209
Cramond: 211, 209
Oakley: 211, 209
Gourlay: 209
Tylutki: 205
John Phillips: 203
Vass: 202
Jason Commane: 200

*Note: In 2002 there were only three of us over 200.
Phillips, Oakley and I

Also, the discrepancy between LH and RH bowlers is shown in the stats for the season just ended, with Ray Tilla finishing the highest on 196 I believe.

Tournaments - Flat pattern 45 feet, make spare shooting a key to winning again. I'm sick of seeing carry contests with the power players averaging 230+ and winning, make them grind outs. After all, it is a TOURNAMENT - where you should be challenged.

But in reality, there's no point worrying about these things now, as the lanes will more than likely be pulled up at Christmas anyway, replaced with synthetics.
Then we will be able to get a more accurate picture of what is happening.
Then we will be able to stage tournaments on simulated mainland conditions - that will benefit our bowling here in the long run.

synthetics hey well that will help alot of bowlers get prepared for tournament bowling on the mainland as when i bolwed in burie it was the first time i had bowled on wood since i left the state in 2002. The only worry i have wioth hobart getting synthetic is that if you dont oil the lanes right then it will be hell for the bowlers.

I want to know when tassie is going to have a major tournament, i think that it could be easy to have a super 6 or something like that because people on the maionland are prepared to travel, and maybe when hobart get the new lanes wouldbe a good thing to have a opening and tournament.

Yeah Matt, I believe that when they go in it will take us all (those of us who've never seen synthetics) a fair while to adjust, but it will be very worthwhile for the State in the long run.

I know ATBSO have been trying to get down here for many years, but with the way the place was, baulked at it. With new lanes and machines it could be used as a test case in some ways - to see how we handle things (after all it has been 13 years since we last hosted anything big in Hobart)
But, I believe when the improvements are made, we should be trying to get Shield, Rachuig, majors down here - to help lift the game's profile again.

Hope it comes true :)

just on the subject of the averages going up and the lanes being easy, ok the way I see it( this is only my opinion) is the ones that are averaging high are the ones that are consistant and are able to repeat their shots more and more than everyone else, ie radcliffe phillips oakley green cramond, there are some that are getting a bit of luck from the lane pattern but on the majority are still fairly consistant at repeating their shot

well i can tell you one thing that is the lanes stay nice and easy, the scores will only get better on synthetics as the carry is so much better. I think its a step in the right direction for hobart and tas in general.

So what esle is been hasppening down there, whats the goss

Oh not a lot mate, working at the bowl as a cleaner still.
Daughter's growing up fast (she'll be 6 next birthday) :eek:
Not much else to report in the way of goss at the moment, mate.

If you've got MSN = feel free to add [email protected] to your list Matt.

Talk to you soon
Matty

Don't people realise that I set the lanes up for myself ;)

Wouldn't be the first time I have been accused of that. :lol:

Strange as it may seem, that the higher averages are coming from bowlers that:
  • a) PRACTISE

b) Bowl more than 3 games a week

or

c) Have some clue as to what they are doing

I think what the big thing down here is that while the lanes are easy, I'm not denying that (Ray Charles could have averaged 210 in the SPC rolloff, and he's blind AND DEAD!), the lanes are breaking in after the resurface, and the Summit is actually putting out the shot consistantly.

Besides, I think the staff enjoy giving away some of the companies money every now and then ;)

Just a short note on Devonport, Rick Walker (a Bowler) has taken over,
he has cleaned up the lanes and wants to turn around some of the dodgey stuff (spotting, oil machine, pins etc).
Best of luck Rick.

Gday Matty,

Good to hear from you. Your still alive and kicking then!

I have officially 'retired' from bowling, but still keen to keep in touch with all the bowlers ..... who know's with recent developments (possible synthetic's down at Moonah) might even make a comeback in a year or 10!

What sort of car you speeding around in now?
Where abouts you living/working?

Shoot me an email if you get a chance, that way if I'm up your way I know how to contact you to call in & see you! ([email protected])

Cheers
Talk later
Scotty

Hi Tiger, willey here, just enquiring about Ray Tilla, would this fella be well in his 50's and left handed and used to bowl at my first centre at Fairfield. If so can you say hello for me ie; Frank Williams, used to work the backend in the late 60's early 70's, he may not remember me. Thanks if you do, BTW I can't confirm if the HPL 9000 lanes are going to Moonah but the machines definitely from Bennetts, someone said today the lanes going to south Melbourne centre but can't confirm that either.
willey.

Gday Frank, yes Ray Tilla still bowls at Moonah and is aged in his middle 60's (64 I think).
Used to bowl at St Leonards & Rockdale in Sydney when the sport was first introduced into Australia, I'm not sure of what others he may of played in back then, but they were two I remember him mentioning.
And yes he is a lefthander.

Would the photo below, be the bloke you remember?
If it is, I will pass on your message to him.

Thanks Tiger, as I hav'nt seen him for 30 years he has changed a lot , then I suppose I have as well. Why the reference to Fairfield Bowl, although he did'nt bowl there in league, he did live in Fairfield, and would occasionally bowl some tournaments. Which is totally understandable, as I think back, the lanes when I started there were almost black from the foul line to the arrows in a large "v" shape, even the approaches were black for about 4 feet around the foul line and back. This was when AMF first took over running it .
Nice Mural around the bowl, is that Moonah, the lanes look like Mayfield where I work now ( hav'nt been re-surfaced for nearly 7 years ) (AMF sure looked after this place, I think they forgot they owned it ) I know you recently had a re-surface.
Mayfield just bought by Terry Maher, he has his work cut out for him to get this place back up to standard.
willey.

Willey, Ray bowls with me on Thursday nights, and does remember you.. he says hey :)

And yeah, that's Moonah.... That was prior to the resurface, and it's nice to bowl on top coat again... it hasn't started peeling YET!

Thanks alot Andrew, I will have to come down one day my misses says were going there next holiday. Whenever that is. I will have to visit my old machines from Bennetts when the put them in, I was head tech there for 10 years. They could run for days without a trouble call, Not that good at present.
willey.

Back
Top Bottom