What would you do?

At a recent tournament, while putting my balls on the rack, I noticed that a couple of the inserts had come loose.

As practise had not yet started, I rushed into the Pro shop, to see if I could get some Super glue.

I was told the Pro operator was on the lanes, and that he should have some in his bag.

I approached the Pro, and politely requested if he could put a tad of glue in my inserts.

Another bowler,( who shall remain nameless at this point) proceeded to abuse me, saying that the Pro was bowling. ( Remember, practise had not yet started). Not wanting to cause a scene, I held my tongue, while the Pro took me to the Pro shop, and glued the inserts, for which I thanked him, as there was no obligation for him to do so, but for which I was grateful.

What would you do?

Nothing good is going to come from this thread, but i will play along.

What would i do?

Honestly... i would have gone to my bag got my superglue out and re-glued my inserts in.

If for any reason i didnt have any i would ask to borrow (use) some from someone i knew, if at that point another person became included in the conversation id probably smile at them.

People who would get annoyed in this scenario must have much bigger issues than superglue.

I'd shake my head... Good on the pro shop guy for looking after you. I keep super glue for that very scenario and I don't even use inserts! I do have a pro shop though and this happens from time to time. :)

Nah!! Your a left hander, wouldn't have helped you at all..............................bahahahahahahahahah..

Being probably a Seniors tournament, I would have thought every-one would be as helpful as always!!

Tone!!

I would have offered to pay the pro shop operater for his time and labor...$5.00 would've been about right.

Always carry spare grips, a remover and glue. In fact anything you may need while bowling including tape, wire brush etc.

It's just not worth the headache of asking and the panic for not having.

Tournament play, tournament kit.

i have had upwards of 8 tubes of super glue in my bag at one stage. We use the loctite Gel glue at the moment its fantastic. Never dries up at the nozzle and its 100% easier to apply than the standard liquid super glue.

atleast you found out before you started. Ive had a thumb slug try and escape mid tounrament!

In the other guy's defence, maybe he's a close friend of the pro shop guy and is a bit defensive. Pro shop operators regularly get requests for work 10 minutes out from a tournament or league and it does wear thin even though it comes with the territory. A good example is Andrew Blissett in Canberra who bowls league at the other end of Canberra to where he runs a pro shop, because among other things, he just wants to enjoy his bowling like the rest of us when he's on his own time. It's only fair. When I'm bowling, I'll ask folks to catch me at the end of play for exactly the same reason.

When I ran the pro shop at Chester Hill, I used to like practising in the really quiet times or in another house if I really wanted to knuckle down on something. Back then, when printing used to cost a lot more than today, Neil Maloney had a mate in the trade who printed some very funny business cards that had my usual details and in teeny, tiny print said "I'm practising right now, so why don't you just $**% off." Everyone wanted one, so alas, I don't have one any more. They were very funny because they rang true. (And they were very Neil!)

Keep in mind that pro shops are not emergency services and as such will be regularly unavailable. That's one of the principles of my marriage surviving one. As other folks have mentioned, PPPPP. Even so, last-minute hassles come up, it sounds like your pro shop guy was very accommodating (better buy him a beer) and his friend's behaviour sounds unacceptable. (He can buy his own.) But an equipment check the day before would have saved all this hassle. Again, the 5 P's.

Cheers,
Jason

p.s. NEVER buy cheap glue. It's not worth the money. Good advice from Daz there. Loctite is good stuff and lasts a lot longer in terms of shelf life and material holding. Costs about $5 a tube. I use the Loctite Control bottle because I can see the contents, it's easier to manipulate into tight spots and I glue a lot of stuff, so am happy to use the fast setting option. If you are using inserts, go to your hardware shop and get the good glue. 5 bucks a year is a small investment.

As someone who does not run a proshop but who is in them alot of the time - I carry my own replacement lifters, lifter removers, bevel knife, take out tools, super glue, various grades of wet/dry sand paper and different coloured 3M pads, ball cleaner and a shoe brush. At one time I even carried spare thumb slugs just in case (and then I dont have to pay the pro shop owner for them if he is drilling me a ball so I always get close to the right feel).

Just my 2 cents

Again - common sense. You ignore the other guy, thank the person who did the work and pay them as appropriate.

Then, not wanting to make a scene, you let it drop and don't make a big deal over nothing on a forum.

There is never a reason to be rude to someone, if asked to polite and say when you can assist. I am with Tony, Seniors are usually always helpful. Yes I always carry glue to for just this reason so I would have done it ... we don't play for sheep stations after all and bowling is just for fun and an excuse to see people.

Back
Top Bottom