What Would It Take

GUS

I pose this question to all the bowlers around the country who travel to tourneys like myself(when I can afford it lol).
What would it take to get bowlers to travel to Launceston for a major tourney?? We are in the process of trying to put one together for sometime this yr but, would like some input from some ppl. We are looking at a 2 day tourney with a min of 60 entries with an entry of around $200-$250, Payout guaranteed 1 in 3, 12 games Qual, Top 16 Mplay, etc etc etc. So what would it take for you to come to the apple isle? All posts will be considered constructive and helpful.

Thanx

Sounds good Gus.....I might even make the drive up!!

You gonna sponsor petrol money too???? lol

GUS, you would most likely need to offer something like this.

1st 2000
2nd 1500
3rd 1250
4th 1000
5th 850
6th 750
7th 700
8th 650
9th 600
10th 550
11th 540
12th 530
13th 520
14th 515
15th 510
16th 500

Just a thought, but it would have to be attractive to interstate bowlers and a prize fund like this may create the interest.

Mark Foster.
icon_wink.gif

You would need to work out costs involved and try to make the cut mark this amount. e.g. flights, accom, entry, transfers...and most importantly grog money in case you don't cut......lol the last bit may not be necessary.
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif

gus, i would be interested in something like that if i coudl afford it, i know my brother would be too he is always up for the challenge, this one sound slike a good idea

This Topic is mostly intended for MAINLAND bowlers. I will worry about us Tasmanians Later.

Thanx

Gus,

I was going to be taking a holiday in Tassie with my wife this year, so all you need to do is tell me when the tourney will be held and send me an entry and I will be there.

What a great way to combine a holiday and a tournament, tassie is God's country

Regards

Steve Hunt

When the entries come out send me one via email at [email protected]
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Hey GUS I for one would love to see a major in Tassie. Having missed Rachiug there I have heard good reports from the guys about Tassie. I have never been there so I guess thats added incentive to go. Now seriously to get some interest from the west you would definately need to keep the minor placings as healthy as possible. As MF says $500 for 16th would be about the limit I would say. Personally I would prefer it to be held close to (if possible)another major event. And remember "Sponsors Sponsors Sponsors" They are out there you just gotta find them. Just ask everyone. The bowlers will support them where they can. We are down to 2 major events now over here but are extremely lucky to have "Rent-a-Plant" behind us as well as Col Goddard and his team at Rosemount. Also holding a tournament is not exactly financial for a bowling centre remembering they are running a business so do what you can to support the centre. I wish you the best of luck in getting this off the ground and I'm sure my ol' mate Scoops can offer some great ideas as regards to a format. I will be watching for any developments. Baron
icon_wink.gif
icon_wink.gif

Thanx to Baron and the funky chook for their input. It was all taken in and letting you know when the tourney is on is np. I wolud like to hear from ppl like george, brenton, frawls, mick and anyone else who has some good ideas

thanx

There are a few things that would make it worth my while travelling down to sunny Lauceston.

1. Money

As a bowler the sums have to add up. If it is going to cost me $450 for a flight, $ 250 for entry plus food and accom, I would be looking at $900 to break even. You don't have to make 1st heaps, just pay down well. For eg. 1st $2000, 2nd $1500, 3rd $1250, 4th $1100, 5th $1000, 6th $900, 7th $800 etc etc 16th being $500. The only sought of way you will get money like that, sponsors!!! Start looking now. As for 1 in 3, NO, you make the cut, you get a cheque, i wouldn't bother paying 1 in 3.

2. Ratings

Believe it or not, national ratings are important to me, by meeting the standard criteria and applying well in advance, if you can get National ratings points for the event, you'll get at least 5-10 more.

3. Dates

As long as it doesn't clash with anything esle. Also it might be an advantage if you ran it 1 week before or 1 week after an event in Melbourne or Adelaide. I know from my point of view it would save me money on flights if I could do 2 events for the cost of 1 1/2.

Hope my suggestions help

G

Just thought I would bump this up again as some more replys would be good. Thanx to those who have already.

Hayden, just to let you know ive spoken to people about the tournament later on in the year, Billy said he was keen, and other's have said the same, so if you want to get to gether and i will give you a hand and then we could hopefully get entry forms out at Australian Open, Rating's points were the main point about this tournament.

Cheers

Mark Foster
icon_smile.gif

Ok here is my proposal. Wkend after Melb Cup (June) or Wkend b4 or after Sydney Cup (Nov). $250 Entry Fee. 60 Bowlers. 12 Games Qual. Top 20 Mplay with 20 Games Mplay. I have 2 Pfunds for feedback. Pls compare them and advise me which U think is the best way to go about it. The Tourney will also be sanctioned for ratings pts aswell. It includes $2000 Sponsorship that I still have to find but as baron says we will find them!
Maybe even the big G could come down here to cover it. If he was interested?
_________(1)_________(2)
1_______1520________885
2_______1275________815
3_______1025________790
4________875________765
5________775________740
6________675________715
7________635________690
8________595________665
9________555________640
10_______515________615
11_______485________590