Virgin Blue Baggage

Thanks lgt
I think I will carry it on then as I will have my four year old with me so I should be able to have two items as carry on.
Cheers
Julie

Hi Everyone,
Just wondering to see how people are going with the excess baggage on virgin blue.
I know there wasn't a problem the last time I flew with them but that was awhile ago.
Have people recently had any problems with them?
I’m flying to Sydney on Tuesday and I am only taking a two ball bag.
Just hoping that they haven’t changed since I flew with the last time.
I have seen posts about this before just wanting to see if there have been any problems recently.
Thanks
Ben

Hi Everyone,
Just thought I comment on the flights in regards to the excess baggage.

I just arrived back from Sydney arriving back in Melbourne and there wasn't a problem with the sporting equipment on both flights.

At each check in I advised them straight away about the bag having sporting equipment and they just asked what was in the bag and I told them bowling balls and there was no problem.

Though I did take a copy of the policy just in case but I didn't need it.

Ben

Hi Everyone,
Just thought I comment on the flights in regards to the excess baggage.
I just arrived back from Sydney arriving back in Melbourne and there wasn't a problem with the sporting equipment on both flights.
At each check in I advised them straight away about the bag having sporting equipment and they just asked what was in the bag and I told them bowling balls and there was no problem.
Though I did take a copy of the policy just in case but I didn't need it.
Ben

Let's hope that is the same scenario when you come back in early June.

good luck getting it past the initial security check.....;)

Ta bm2

I have now read the baggage conditions and I have 2 x 20kg allowances so I should be able to check it in as baggage.

bm2 have you had a drama getting your balls ;) through security previously?

Cheers all for your help
Julie

You will find you are not allowed bowling balls as hand luggage as it is over the weight/size limit for hand luggage. My husband previously had a 4 bag roller and it weighed over 32 kg (over the max limit for baggage handlers to lift) so had to reduce the bag weight. He asked if he could take a ball as hand luggage and was told definitely no. Too dangerous if it falls out of the overhead lockers (you can understand why), would not fit under the seats and the size did not comply with the airline regulations (over 23cm deep). Was able to take his shoes and some gear out of the roller and just got it down to the 32 kg limit. Luckily was flying virgin so was able to claim it as sporting gear and only counted as 5 kg.

Jetstar would count the total weight as they have no reductions for sporting equipment.

HINT: If you are flying and use rosin/powder (make sure it is in a securely fastened container which can withstand the rough handling baggage gets). We know of a team travelling when a container leaked and spilled onto bags etc.resulting in a shutdown of the baggage carousel and baggage quarantined until powder "officially identified" as safe. Gear not released until following day and stern reprimand given.

Back
Top Bottom