Virgin Blue Baggage

pgben200

The Benjiman
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering to see how people are going with the excess baggage on virgin blue.
I know there wasn't a problem the last time I flew with them but that was awhile ago.

Have people recently had any problems with them?

I’m flying to Sydney on Tuesday and I am only taking a two ball bag.

Just hoping that they haven’t changed since I flew with the last time.

I have seen posts about this before just wanting to see if there have been any problems recently.

Thanks
Ben

One of the bowlers attending the recent event at Surfers Tenpin was charged excess baggage on the return leg, but not on the way there.
Perhaps the balls gained weight by eating too many pins or something!
Not much consistency here....:plane:

The WA guys travel all over and the only times we have a problem is when newer staff do not know the ruling that each sporting bag is equal to 5kg.
Before I fly anywhere I always print off the baggage clause from the website, just in case.
Virgin blue did re-visit this a few months ago and agreed they would not be changing it for the foreseeable future, a lot of their customers are in fact athletes and need this type of "kindness" from an airline to make their trips feasible.
I know Jet star, tiger and in some cases Qantas have charged people almost the same as their airfare, but generally in the $70-&120 mark.

My daughter has recently travelled to and from Adelaide & Perth recently taking 2 x 2 ball bags mostly on Virgin. Only paid excess baggage (not very much) on one trip when she also had a very full suitcase. Most of the time she only has her bowling bags and clothing is packed in a small cabin bag and therefore is not checked in. Last trip with boyfriend and her flew Qantas. Between them they had 7 balls (3 bags) and 4 suitcases. Got to the airport early went to checkin and said to the counter staff that they knew they would have to pay some excess but explained most of it was sporting equipment and only had to pay $44 excess baggage.

Major key point is to get to checkin early, be very polite to the counter staff and smile a lot even if you have had a bad tournament.

When I went to the Sufers event last month did not pay on the way up or back. I guess the inconsistency comes from the people who check you in.

Remember make sure you state that the bags contain sporting equipment and then each such bag will count as 5kg towards your 20 kg travel allowance. I took two bags a three baller and a two ball tote thus this was 10kg with my suitcase bag being less than or just over 10 kg's.

I was pulling out my wallet to pay for excess luggage when the assistant just handed me my boarding pass back (had pre checked in online - remember to include how many bags you are checking in so the luggage id's will be printed on the boarding pass) and told to go to Gate 13.

There is no way to tell until you get to the counter (unless of course your bags easily weigh over 20kgs including 5kg per sporting bag allowances) if you will be slugged with a charge or not but providing you are smart about it at most you will occur a $20 charge on each leg. Lucky 13 I guess.

I think Paul Terry is correct as it depends on the staff whether you are charged excess baggage. I recently flew Virgin Blue for the first time to the Gold Coast and was not charged excess baggage and I carried a triple bag, a tote and luggage bag.

Qantas charge $22 per piece of baggage over 1 bag. That stinks! anything to make some extra dough.

A couple of years ago my son and I were returning from the youth cup in Victoria with Virgin Blue, they wanted to charge extra I said it was sporting equipment, bowling balls. Her reply? " is ten pin bowling a sport ? " After a dicussion with management was let on the plane. We were also carrying a throphy, they said it could not be carried on as it could be used as a weapon !!! After rolling around in laughter we took the throphy on board with us.

We always fly Virgin Blue and have only had problems this one time.

When i flew to surfers this year,i had no problem here in perth,but on the return trip,i had to remind the counter staff about the 5kgs per bag for sporting equipment,so if you didnt know about it,you could easily get charged for excess.

As it was i didnt know about it until i was told,about a week before i flew out,it goes to show you have to look deeper into your chosen carriers policies and fine print.

I would certainly travel with Virgin Blue again.

johnnyb

I have never been charged by Virgin Blue.

I usually tell them straight up I have sporting equipment and if possible to take it to Oversize luggage. I've done this and not even had my gear weighed. Usually, they weigh it and say 'What's in it?' to which I tell them, and there are usually no problems.
QANATS, I'd recommend putting them all in one big bag. As this then counts as one bag, for which you'd pay your $22 if deemed so. Better then $44 or $66 if you have 3 totes.

Later Da Cowman!

As most people have said its kind of up to the staff member whether or not they charge u..

But as u said cow i always speak up when they ask what they are and they usually let u off with virgin but as i experienced on the weekend going to Perth QANTAS charged me $22 excess baggage.. $11 per each 10kgs extra.. thats how it was explained to me.. On the way home i flew virgin and had no problems..

As for the past ive been charged by qantas probably 4 out of the 5 times i have flown with them
virgin only once going from adelaide to sydney

Myself not bring a bowling bag with a virgin blue yet but flew virgin blue flight once time for watched a deaflympic games at Melbourne in early 2005.

Myself understanding a cheaper airline e.g Virgin Blue, Jetstar etc-their baggage policy are stricting !! One baggage each enomony class person carry 20 kg limit.

I never forget...myself flew a first time Jetstar flight to Christchurch, NZ in winter 2006.
Myself put two 15lb bowling balls into a two zipped spare bag inside my takonka backpacker bag style in approx 27kg that a check in let me free charge for one folder heavy trolley or my takonka bag. myself did showed a bowling ball to the airport staff!!! Before put it into my spare bag then zipped away. it gave me no problem in flew both way to Christchurch or return to Brisbane.

I did read a Jetstar baggage policy is more stricting one!!!

Deaf Lefty

Ive only ever had 1 problem with Virgin Blue.

Flying to Brisbane for Sharp last year, they didnt like my excess baggage so much that they sent one of my 2 ball totes somewhere else. Or they didnt put it on the plane. I was told both excuses!
They got it to me before I needed it so that was ok.

Ive never been charged excess from Virgin. As said b4 if they ask, tell them its sporting goods..

After flying to perth with no probs last weekend i thought all was fine,
I was catching the 12:30 am flight home putting 4 balls under my name and 2 under my mums.
I got told they were going to charge me so I kinda went nuts, according to them they've never seen balls go through, the woman called a supervisor and eventually gave up with me and didnt charge because i said i fly all over the country and have never paid.
Then mum went to check in with only a tote and they tried to pull the same thing saying our gear is too heavy.
I was the only bowler on the flight.. on our way over there was 5 of us heading to Perth and no questions at all.
It can just depend on who you get checking you in.
Pretty much i found just stand up for yourself and say your not paying it and reminde them so many bowlers fly virgin because generally they are really helpful with our gear.

As someone said earlier, just carry a copy of the Virigin Blue oversize baggage policy. (Easily printed from their website). Then if you get challenged at check-in, show them the copy of their own policy.

being a frequet virgin blue flyer i usually take 3-4 15lb bowling balls with me. and if they ask we say its sporting equiptment(which it is) and they dont havd a problem with that.
i realise u may be taking more than 4 balls but yeah for up to 4 balls they have never had a problem. P.S that is from rockhampton to brisbane

Going to Hobart in 2006 from Sydney with Virgin Blue, I was told I was over the limit with a 4 roller. They told me we were running late so they wouldnt charge me. On the way back from Hobart, they didnt say a word, and this time I had more weight in the bags!!!

So be aware of all the rules as some staff can be pushy and others more laid back.

Over the limit with a 4roller - you may well find that they meant over the allowable weight limit that the baggage handlers are allowed to lift - they are only allowed to lift a piece of baggage up to 32kgs, and if your 4 bag roller carries 15lbers - then you would be over the limit.

I myself have a 4 bag roller, and full with my measly little 13lb balls takes the weight right to the 32 kg limit, and Virgin have told me not to put anything else in it so that it does not go over the 32 kgs.......

Either way, the 4 roller I was using could be pulled apart. Still, I only had 3 balls in it and shirts I bought while in Hobart.

Hi All

I appreciate that this is a Virgin Blue Thread but can anyone tell me how thay have gone on JETSTAR planning to fly to Darwin in May and would love to take my ball with me 10 pound in single tote plus shoes and was wondering if JETSTAR have the same sporting equipment policy as Virgin Blue.

Cheers and Thanks

Julie

Back
Top Bottom