Jetstar Virgin and baggage allowance query

Andrew S.

Gold Coast
Can anyone please advise of any personal knowledge of either Jetstar or Virgin re their baggage allowances?
I have heard some airlines regard sporting equipment as being a flat rate 5 kilos, however Jetstar customer service says that is not so. Their allowance being 20kg and excess is $5 per kilo.
Do the airport check-in people have any flexibility regarding this?

I have travelled several times & never had to pay for excess Baggage. on either Virgin or Qantas. Usually only take 4 or 5 balls.

Davek

Virgin generally has not charged me for bowling equipment on most of the trips I've taken. The only time they did it was $10 and I wasn't charged on the return trip.

I have never flown with Qantas or Jatstar but know that Jetstar will charge you if your baggage does exceed $20 kg.

A four ball bowling bag weighs up to 32 kg with a couple of balls in it. It may pay to have two two ball bowling bags as they tend to favour those over the more bulky bags.

Before booking tickets with Jatstar you should definately work out if you will save money after taking into account air fares and excess baggage costs (there and back).

If it was me flying I would definately be choosing to fly with Virgin. If there are a group of you and you can check in at the same time this will also help in avoiding an excess baggage charge with Virgin.

Andrew S. said:
I have heard some airlines regard sporting equipment as being a flat rate 5 kilos

Virgin have this policy as far as I am aware and I have never had to pay excess flying with Virgin.

Andrew S. said:
however Jetstar customer service says that is not so. Their allowance being 20kg and excess is $5 per kilo.
Do the airport check-in people have any flexibility regarding this?

To my knowledge, Jetstar are pretty strict on their excess baggage policy. I have heard of plenty of people being stung by them for their bowling equipment.

Recently going down to bendigo flying with qantas and with 6 bowling balls i was not charged anything for excess baggage but was told that as of the 1st of october new rules were coming in and anyone with luggage over 20kg will be charged "sporting equipment or not anyone over 20kg will have to pay excess baggage fees".

Andrew,

Virgin Airlines class bowling bowls as sporting equipment and do not charge.

Qantas have never charged either but Jetstar will.

Jetstar fly into Avalon and that is a long way from Melbourne.

See you Friday !!!!

Laura

after travelling to melbourne recently on qantas we had a total of two 32kg suitcases and 5 two ball bowling bags between three ppl...........we didnt get charged a cent

virgin flying to sydney i had 3 balls and a suitcase and didnt get charged a cent

jetstar however majority of qld flew on to go down for eccc down in vic and majority got charged 130 for 2/3 balls plus a suitcase a few who had more balls were even going to b charged up to i believe 360 so i no i wont b flying jetstar wen it comes to travelling for bowling

Flying back from Sydney after Syd Cup i was charged $22 for my 5 bowling balls with Qantas. I wasn't charged on the way up. They told me they were reviewing their policy or something like that

It is definately Virgin policy to categorise bowling balls as sporting equipment, and it constitutes a flat 5 kilos of your 20kg baggage allowance. We make a point of contacting Virgin prior to our departure date,(which is what they advised us to do) and getting them to make a notation on our reservation that we will be carrying sporting equipment, and we have never had a problem - and we both took 6 balls each to Melb at Easter time!!
The only downside is that sometimes they can be a bit rough with the equipment - we have never had a ball damaged, but the bags have been broken a couple of times.

Broni & Jagga 8)

I dont understand. Sporting equipment is free? In particular, Bowling Balls? (Not that they shoudnt be...but read my point)

Sorry for the hijack, you guys are going to hate my bad habit of doing that.. (IF i get enough complaints I do delete though, so bare with me)

My father had to travel to the olympic games overseas, and take less than that worth of camera gear to transmit photo's all over the world (And went to the commonwealth games and did photo's of bowling, cara etc)

And he has to pay for it. Yet the bowling balls get a free ride!!

Now dont get me wrong here, I'm not saying they shoudnt, just trying to create a juxtaposition here!

i went on my first flight in 10 yrs and on my way 2 Sydney with Virgin blue i was charged for 6 bowling balls cost me 50 dollars and 1 of them got damaged and then on the way back home i nevered got charged for my bowling balls and they where 2 ball bags i was carrying more on this topic to come.

Laterz
CC

Virgin Blue Current Baggage Allowance:

Up to and including 20kg - Free
Over 20kg up to and including 30kg - $10
Over 30kg up to and including 35kg - $20
Over 35kg up to and including 40kg - $50
Over 40kg up to and including 45kg - $85
Over 45kg up to and including 50kg - $120

An additional charge of $5 per kg applies to total baggage over 50kgs

*** No individual piece of checked baggage may exceed 32kg or total linear dimensions (depth, width and length) of 140cms. All baggage not meeting these requirements or total baggage exceeding 40kg will only be carried at the carriers discretion.

This is quoted from my Virgin Blue travel plan as i am flying to QLD in december. I am sure this would be the case with all domestic flights with Virgin.

Returning from the Nationals via Virgin I was not charged any excess. My total weight was 30 kg. I did have to sign a declaration that I had sporting equipment. Jetstar charged me $50 for the same weight on the way down. You live and learn.

A Question a little of topic!

I have never had to travel with bowling Equipment by jet yet but plan to in future.
My question is what happens with security with stuff like bevel knives and insert removers and Scissors that people take in there accesory bags?

are they allowed?

I was talking with a lady at a Virgin check-in desk after my mate got slugged with baggage excess fee when only half an hour earlier I got away with it.
She told me the rules have always been there to charge us for baggage excess but they haven't been enforced regularly.
She also told me that as of the start of Octorber all staff at Virgin and Qantas have been told to charge for baggage excess... I don't know if there is any truth to that though, could have just been an excuse on her part...

It looks like the only way you can get away with being charged is to get lucky and find a really nice person at the check-in desk, or do what bm2 said and give the airlines a call before your next flight... that's exactly what I'll be doing next time

i also found wen checking in if u get there early before most ppl have started checking in they sumtimes dont charge until other ppl further down the queue board (happened wen i went to melbourne for uni comp i had props and stuff and so did some students a little while bak in queue i didnt get charged but they did)....

Thats right Andrew. I know I would never fly with Jetstar again. I don't recall being stung by baggage fees but I sure don't like having my knees up against my chest in the seats either. :wink:

yep $29 ticket to tassie you buety, $180 excess baggage Jetstar you suk.
It was cheaper to thow away the return ticket get the $99 virgin flight back (no baggage charge)
P.S. i think the baggage allowence on qantas flights is 32Kg and 20 kg on vigin and jetdud

Back
Top Bottom