QANTAS vs VIRGIN???

bm2

I'm still standin'
We are looking to book our airfares for this years Nationals to Sydney, and are looking to the forum for their experiences with regard to Virgin...... We were looking at taking advantage of their cheaper fares, however have heard a few people say that they slug on the excess baggage straight away, whereas we have NEVER had a problem with Qantas checking in our luggage and our caravan of bowling balls.
we look forward to hearing from those bowlers who have travelled to tournies with Virgin (and Qantas too, if you have had hassles) and been charged excess fees!
Thanx
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

I booked with Virgin last year when travelling Brisbane - Canberra for seniors challenge. Sure enough, got slugged for excess baggage and I only had 2 bowling balls. Also information from Virgin sadly lacking - we were told we could check in our luggage early for return flight, leaving us baggage free to have a tour of the city. Unfortunately the information given was wrong, and we had to sit around the airport for 3 hours minding our gear as there was nobody at check-in until 1 hour before the flight. We were tired, had hangovers and were not amused!!

I've flown on Virgin Blue a number of time and haven't had to pay for excess baggage (yet, fingers crossed)
It helps if you're nice to the check-in personel
icon_smile.gif

I flew Virgin twice, first time avoided excess, however this may have been that I tried to carry a tote bag on board which was not allowed so checked it in at the gate. However I did get away with it on the return journey also without paying.

Last week I flew to Perth, on a $1 ticket!! (Lucky Me!) I did have to pay $20 each way for excess.

They have a strict 20kg limit but both times they said they make allowances for sporting equipment. They knocked off about 10kg's. I had a sports bag plus 2 tote bags (4 balls), in total 40KG's.

If you check out their site it will give you a price list for their excess charges.

What you need to weigh up is the cost of the ticket and excess compared to the Qantas cost.

I have paid excess once on Qantas which isn't too bad considering the amount of times I have flown with them.

Ciao

Back
Top Bottom