The occassional sponsor

desmondo

Occassionally I have spare cash that could be used to sponsor a bowler into a tournament. I do not know how often this would happen, nor what bowlers could use some assistance (with the exception of one bowler).

I want to create a register of bowlers who would like to compete in tournaments (national or local) but may need some assistance every now and then.

This register can then be made available for people who would like to provide the occassional sponsorship to assist some of bowlers (and thus increase tournament participation).

I have some basic rules in mind aimed at ensuring the privacy of the bowlers on the register and also to give something to the occassional sponsor.

Is anyone interested in this concept (sponsor or competitor)? PMs are acceptable and even encouraged for those who wish to be involved. Any general comments would also be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Des Wragg

i must say this is a good idea, especially for the junior bowlers or even the mid range bowlers who want to take the next step but dont have the money to do so.

What a wonderful person you are, wish there were more like you.

If I was in the same position, I would look locally. I would speak to the people who run the youth bowling. I would ask them to identify a teenager with the potential to step up into the adult ranks. However through no fault of his/her own is unable to compete due to financial reasons.

Best of luck with this endeavor

Great idea Des.

Have often thought about doing something similar here in the west, sponsorship can take many forms including cash, training, coaching, lane time, motion analysis, etc etc.
Could be interested in how we could get something up and running for bowlers of all averages and ages.
regards
allenj

Occassionally I have spare cash that could be used to sponsor a bowler into a tournament. I do not know how often this would happen, nor what bowlers could use some assistance (with the exception of one bowler).
I want to create a register of bowlers who would like to compete in tournaments (national or local) but may need some assistance every now and then.
This register can then be made available for people who would like to provide the occassional sponsorship to assist some of bowlers (and thus increase tournament participation).
I have some basic rules in mind aimed at ensuring the privacy of the bowlers on the register and also to give something to the occassional sponsor.
Is anyone interested in this concept (sponsor or competitor)? PMs are acceptable and even encouraged for those who wish to be involved. Any general comments would also be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Des Wragg
good on you des i hope who ever you sponsor wears your brand name with pride. Sponsorsare hard to find in anysport now days.

I hope that South australian players have been sending pm's to Des as there has been no response on here. I personally have not responded as I am able to more than cover my expenses with prize money most times and I believe this should be a vehicle for less experienced players to gain much needed experience.

Well south aussies? Where are you?

Des, what a nice person you are. Your generosity will certainly be appreciated by those you choose to help. Well done. :thumbup:

I have seen some really good youth bowlers who, unfortunately, have gone by the wayside due to inability to find money to compete, even at the local level. Maybe they will be back in time (when they consolidate employment and independence) but your generous offer will surely be appreciated :smiley.php:

Cheers

You kno wat Brenton your absolutley right.. i am a south aussie and i have no shame or blame in saying that yes i do not bowl all events anywer as i work full time as it it to make ends meet.. as an up coming youth bowler it is hard to try an make time for events especially living out of home.. im trying to get to more locally and nationally, but in many cases it is true i just dont have the cash or time to do it.

The number of entrants is definatly decreasing some what. i mean i havent been in the game that long but turn outs have been quite poor recently.. i have decided to travel this year also with fellow good mates (and rachuig bowlers :p ) Dion Alexander and Kerry anne Klop to try and gain some valuble experiance..

With a schedule that big i hope to tr and make all national and local tournements of course, but the onl thing that will stop me is the money situation..

Des is a good and honourable man for doing wat he is doing.. to let people see out ones dreams is maybe the best thing that could happen to the sport in keeping youth and junior bowlers around, cos lets face it as much as we all love the oldies haha... the future is in the kids... if there not around who will be...

Timmy Tran:cool:

hey all,

i have sat back and watched people post on here but not too sure where des has said supporting just juniors or youth...

i agree with timmy, the future is with the youngens, but not ALL adults can afford to travel and bowl in tournaments. so i think that des' proposal is for EVERYONE not just the juniors or youth.

i for one had planned to travel again this year and take part in tournaments and compete like i have in the past, but due to unforseen circumstances it was taken outta my control. there is nothing i would want more and thats to be back amongst the tournies..

i would be honoured to be sponsored by anyone for anything..

i think most bowlers would be.. but there are some out there that take it for granted and expect it..

anyway, who ever des' company sponsors i hope they do the company and themselves proud..

marty

That's a very nice gesture there Des and I'm sure any bowler who you sponsored would be extremely grateful for the financial help and support that you've offered.
I was very fortunate last year to have the help of Max, Tonx, Reg Reichel and Wayne Chester who each chipped in to help me bowl a ranked event when I announced I was pulling out because I was flat broke, out of a job and in a very precarious position at the time.
I was very grateful for that help and have never forgotten the kind gesture.

Bowling needs more people like this.

Well Done Des and i hope it is beneficial both ways!!!

As some people have said wish there was more people like you,
the biggest problem the sport has had is that all bowlers should
support fellow bowlers businesses or unaffiliated businesses that sponsor tournaments but sadly that doesnt happen enough. Companies need to see some benefit from their
sponsorship dollar and as there is little commercial exposure then bowlers
whether sponsored or not sponsored by these people need to support them.
Bowlers need to go into these businesses and when purchasing the products
make a conscious effort to inform them that they are there because of the
fact they sponsor their sport.

If there is some support the other way then maybe more companies especially the small ones like ours would consider doing something even if
its not individual sponsorship but some kind of sponsorship towards state
teams etc.

Cheers
Drew

Back
Top Bottom