The Best Ever ???

Playa

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS
Ths Tasmanian Forums have been a bit slow lately so I thought I'd start this post. Who are the Top 3 Tasmanian Bowlers of all time and give reasons why

Peace
Chris

Hard to pick only three players as our best ever.
In a state as small ours (470,000) we have produced some unbelievable players over the years for our tiny population.

Ashley Riley
*10 x 300-games.
*Australian Masters Champion.
*FIQ Player.
*State Masters Champion 1993, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999.
*Multiple time Rachuig player for Tasmania.

Geoff Vince
*20-Time Rachuig Member.
*State Masters title 1973 & 1980.
*Runner-up in the State SPC final 10 times.
*Numerous other tournament victories.
*Appearances in ATBSO a few years ago.

Alan Coleman
*1974 & 1975 Australian Masters Champion.
*State Masters Champion in 1974, 1975 & 1976.
*Member of numerous Rachuig's including the famous 1985 team that won in Adelaide.
*The most aggressive player I ever played against.

Rodney Radcliffe
*Member of many Rachuig campaigns for Tasmania, Queensland and South Australia.
*Member of the prestigeous 1985 winning side for Tasmania.
*Shot 300 in the 1986 Rachuig Tournament.
*1985 & 1986 State Masters title.
*TV Finallist in the 1986 & 1988 Hobart Cup's.
*Member of ATBSO teams in recent years.
*Runner up in the Australian Masters in 1986

Garry Crick
*Longest serving Rachuig player in Tasmania's history.
*State Masters Champion in 1997
*Moonah Classic Winner in 2003
*Shot 808/3 in Launceston a few years ago
*Numerous tournament victories throughout a long career.

Alex Peshti
*European Nine-pin Champion
*Long time Rachuig member for Tasmania
*State Masters Champion in 1972 & 1977
*1973 STTBA B.O.Y Champion (Now HTBA)
*Could call a chop, or knock down a called number of pins whilst standing at the ball return.
*A trick shot expert
*Legend has it that bowlers would always wait to see wether Peshti had enterred a tournament before entering themselves - If he did, they didn't!!

Matthew Riley
*Numerous 300-games
*Numerous State and National Titles
*Highest Series in Tasmanian Bowling - 834/3 shot in Burnie.
*Australian Rep
*Has the ability to be the best ever from here.

Norm Green
*State Masters Champion in 1991
*Burnie Masters winner in 1991
*Rachuig Team member on a few occasions
*Tasmanian Open winner in 1993
*Runner Up in the Hobart Cup 1981
*Runner Up in the Tasmanian Open in 1991
*Led the World Cup Qualifiers in Melbourne in 1995, with a 228 average after day one.....with a rubber 1965 houseball.
*Shot a Moonah all-time record 801/3 in 1997 with the same houseball (the only 800 set ever recorded in Moonah's 41 years of operation)
*Held the Moonah League average record for many years with a 213.00 average recorded in the 1993 TCBA League. (subsequently broken by Ray Tilla, Rodney Radcliffe and myself since)
*I still regard Green as the best player I have ever seen.

Paul Lucock
*Shot Moonah's first 300-game after 26-years in 1988.
*5 x 300-games
*A number of Rachuig and President Shield teams
*State Masters Champion 2001 & 2002
*Five consecutive HTBA B.O.Y titles in 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001. (Not staged in 2000)
*Numerous other tournament victories.

Tony Giunta
*Respected long-time member of Tasmania's Rachuig teams.
*Member of the famous 1985 title winning side.
*Extremely tenacious, yet unflappable player.

Danny Corbett
*Member of a large number of Rachuig's for Tasmania.
*Member of the 1985 team
*State Masters champion 1981
*STTBA B.O.Y winner in 1976, 1977 & 1984.
*Winner of a number of other titles along the way.

Peter Dunlop
*Respected former Tasmanian Rachuig member.
*State Masters champion in 1971 & 1978.
*Tenacious player who never gave in.

Carol Steele
*About 17 Rachuig's for Tasmania.
*Women's State Masters champion in 1972, 1973, 1983 & 1985
*STTBA B.O.Y Women's winner in 1973, 1974, 1980, 1981 & 1985.
*Held the long-time women's high score at Moonah with 266 in 1974 (broken in 1983 by Pam Pope with 296).
*Numerous other local titles.

Cindy Day
*Long time Rachuig member for Tasmania
*Runner up in the 1981 Womens Australian Masters in Surfers Paradise.
*Womens State Masters champion in 1979 & 1981.
*STTBA Womens B.O.Y winner in 1976 & 1979.
*Much respected player from the South.

Pam Pope
*About 20 Rachuig's for Tasmania
*World Games Silver Medallist (Thanks Androoo :wink: )
*Shot a 296 in the Nationals in 1983 I believe (Stand to be corrected)
*Won an Australian Womens Masters (Stand to be corrected)
*Womens State Masters champion in 1978, 1980, 1982 & 1984
*Womens Hobart Masters champion in 1984
*Perhaps the most decorated and greatest women bowler Tasmania has produced.

Note
Due to unfortunate book-keeping as far as records are concerned, many of the aforementioned players may have won more titles than has been published here.
The years of 1986-1993 has been mostly void of information in regard to tournament winners et al.
Anybody out there who has information please let me know (Just PM me here) and I will add it to the current data I already have.

My three picks are as follows....

Ashley Riley:
Need I say anything there?

Pam Pope:
Siver Medallist at the World Games in the 80's, bowled Rachuig forever. Who said you can't bowl when you use a 9lb ball and stand about 5'

Alex Peshti:
I remember meeting Alex many years ago (back when I was a little tacker). Member of Rachuig teams back in the 60's, former European champion in both 10 pin and 9 pin games. Was know to be one of the best sandbaggers around. If he needed 6 pins to win, he'd throw a 6. A great gentleman!

I still remember crossing with Norm Green in the 1997 Melbourne Cup, he was near leading after the 1st day using a beat up looking Black Ninja, unfortunately he couldn't get the 10 out on day 2 and fell back into the middle of the cash, he just kept hitting the pocket though, it was like he had lasers for eyes!

Well, I must admit I'm not really qualified to talk about best ever.

But I will say that in my time in the 'higher' levels of bowling in the past 10-15 yrs, 3 players stand out.

Ashley Riley - Around 15 Rachuigs (Incl multiple All Stars awards)Twice Australia Masters Champ. Not only a FIQ Player, but a multiple medalist at FIQ level - No more needs to be said.

Matty Riley - Multiple President Shield & Rachuigs - also multiple All Stars - incl. All Stars in first year of Rchuig as a 17/18 yr old) Multiple FIQ Youth Rep. Aust Master Runner Up.

Matt Burtt (Tiger: I thought the only notable absentee from your comprehensive list - that I could think of). Not so sure of his Stats - but incl. multiple Presdidents Shields, Rachuig & Numerous TBA wins when that was running down here, multiple 300's. Awesome to watch, could have turned pro (went to states for a while) Wasted talent!

Honourable mentions to;

Garry Crick: Mr reliable - awesome Rchuig Bowler, great to have in the team! Mr Consistent. Does not know the meaning of the word pressure!

Paul Lucock - Basically unlimited talent. Best Lefty we have produced easily ..... although arguably alot of his talent has been wasted for one reason or another ..... WOULD regularly win Super Six Torny's if he put his mind to it & had finances to get there.

That's my $0.02 worth!

And ...................

Another honourable mention that has jsut come to mind.

Tiger himself (aka Matt Crammond) on the sole basis that he has left more 5-7-10's than any player in the history of 10Pin Bowling.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

One other person I think deserves an honourable mention at least.

Our only home grown female to make an Australian team - Rebecca Salter.

scooter said:
Matt Burtt (Tiger: I thought the only notable absentee from your comprehensive list - that I could think of) Wasted talent!

Absolutely right Scoot :wink: I remember Burtt making an impact (and a big one at that) from around 1991 to 1993.
Shot 300 at Devonport in May 1992 as a 17 year old (some would say that would instantly qualify anybody for greatness, shooting 300 in a centre where the pinspotting is as crooked as a street bum's teeth).

Was a State SPC winner a couple of times (Won the last ever tournament held at Mornington).
Finished runner up to David Brooker in the 1993 Australian Junior Masters Final - an ignorant photographer broke Burtt's concentration in the 10th frame in a tight match.

Played in the 1991, 1992 & 1993 President Shield teams for Tasmania, then, almost as quickly as he appeared on the scene, he disappeared.

Ventured to the United States in mid 1994, to take part in the famous College Bowling program.
Shot a 300 game over there, but was growing rapidly homesick, and came home to Australia.

Was a part of the team that broke the Australian 5-man team record in Australian bowling (Matt Burtt, Ian Bradford, Dena Buxton, Kat Willeme, Mark Malloy) at Moorabbin in 1996.

Certainly a wasted talent, and a player that was certainly capable of turning pro if he had stuck at it.

K-C said:
One other person I think deserves an honourable mention at least.

Our only home grown female to make an Australian team - Rebecca Salter.
I agree also, as you would realise, I had a large number of years away from the tournament scene (Never played a tournament outside of Moonah between the 1996 State Masters in Devonport and, the 2002 Launceston Skins II)
So my knowledege of Bec's acheivements is not all that good, in a way its a great shame players like Bec and others have all given the game away.
I see from Jan Morton's history site that Bec has been a strong winner of tournaments around the place.

scooter said:
Another honourable mention that has jsut come to mind.

Tiger himself (aka Matt Cramond) on the sole basis that he has left more 5-7-10's than any player in the history of 10Pin Bowling.
Nice to be remebered for something :wink:

AdrianS said:
I still remember crossing with Norm Green in the 1997 Melbourne Cup, he was near leading after the 1st day using a beat up looking Black Ninja, unfortunately he couldn't get the 10 out on day 2 and fell back into the middle of the cash, he just kept hitting the pocket though, it was like he had lasers for eyes!
That's exactly right mate, he was the absolute robot on the lanes.
He was my coach for many years, and taught me a lot of things about bowling, especially squareness and smoothness.
He was an absolutely unbelievable player, and it was shame he couldn't continue bowling, but with illness and financial difficulties, he felt the fire had gone and took up golf instead - ironically he was a damn good golfer too, Androo would know more than I do about that.

As an aside to that, Norm was coaxed out of retirement last year for a few weeks, bought in an old ball (straight up and down drilling) first 3-game set in 3-4 years........710/3 in Sponsors League :lol:
Then took up fishing instead :D

Didn't Even Rate a Mention!!

The Current State Masters Champions and Mens Runner up (Last Years Champion) Didn't Even Rate a Mention!!

No more balls drilled for you guys! (androo's gonna be busy)

oh come on gus!, no need to be like that, you dont need to be mentioned on this list, everyone knows what you have done over the years! rachuig member, 4x300's, state tournament winner, made some good cash's on the mainland...... its all good bro,
cya soon

Mark Foster

You know we all love you Gus.

The chicks will dig those green pants... they have to make a return!!

what about athel matty, cant forget athel

*long serving plate and cup picker upperer

*biggest pain in the arse

*smells tha worst

*dirtiest old bugger

oh, an thinks hes tha best bowler, lol

Athol Pross
* Moonah Record for most cups/plates picked up in single year - 3558

* Holds record for clearing Centre Staff meeting in under 5 seconds - by letting a fart rip, right in the middle of the said meeting in 1999. Also for his award winning performance in Sponsors League in June 1995, when he successfully managed to clear the whole top end of the Moonah Bowl with one of his trademark "careless whispers" :^o

* Winner of the "Street Bum Warriors Cup" Campaign in 2002, with a decisive, if not, rather ill-tempered victory over Mark (Father Christmas) in a bid to secure the Moonah Bowl plate/cup picking up contract. "This is my patch" said Pross after securing victory.

* Holds Moonah record for being caught picking his nose and eating it in the last 10-years - 3158 times

* Record No of dates with "32 year old shieela's" in the Northern Suburbs area - 100+ (Some of our youth could use his chick pulling techniques at Shield Dinners)

* Holds the Moonah Bowl record for most number of farts dropped in the last 10 years - 10,441 times, therefore deposing other notorious gut droppers such as Cramond, Lucock etc for the Champions title - "I'm toooo ooooold" said Pross of his famous victory.

* Holds Moonah bowl record for continuing the longest conversation with one's self whilst in a Bowling Centre - 3hrs 23 mins on a rainy afternoon in April 2000.

* Rachuig's - Nil
* President Shield - Nil
* Career Cups - 32,491
* Career Farts - 77,085
* Coaching Career - 1964-2003
* Times Bowled - Nil
* No. Of Bowlers he has needled for poor bowling - EVERYONE :mrgreen:

Shot for shot, clearly the most decorated person in Tasmanian bowling circles. =D>

androooo said:
The chicks will dig those green pants... they have to make a return!!

*squeals* :D :D oh yeah! hold me back peoples !! :wink:

did any one put down dj luko?? i would put him in one of the best ever catagory, and joel wilson and andrew tylutki too. and some others like damian and shaun maguire, todd russell, and those two robinson boys as well. i know somem if not most of them didnt do much after juniors but still they were some of the best bowlers of that era. fell free to correct me if u like.

It seems like some one needs to compile a list of every league bowler within the state... past and present, just so every one gets a mention - that's the way this post is going!

In all seriousness, I thought the subject was who would you rate as the three best ever from Tassie.

Being relatively young, especially compared to some people who have already posted on this subject, my list may not include some of the greats from before my time but my votes would be easy.

Ashley Riley
No justification or resume of his achievements needed. Everyone should know he is the best we have.

Garry Crick
I couldn't fit his list of achievements on here if I tried!

Debbie Bowtell
I never originally posted Deb because she is only a relatively new comer to the State but we have never had anyone else who has achieved as much as her represent our State on the female side, so in my opinion takes the cake as our best female bowler ever easily.

This is my opinion and my opinion only and I have stuck to the original question.

Matt, my name shouldn't even be a thought on a post like this but like I said, everyone is getting carried away. FYI though I never won junior Burnie Masters.

Back
Top Bottom