Synthetic V/S Wood.

Steve of course you are correct, in some cases things are not as they should be. In those instances the issues of "sticking" are likely due to approach cleaning and maintenance or perhaps the control of air temperatures and humidity levels in the centre itself...very likely a combination of the two. As I noted we live in a big country with very diverse conditions. It is also true that older synthetics do not have the same slide characteristics as those produced today....such has the science improved.

My comments were made to underscore the development of the technology - what we have in some instances [at the "bad" end of things] is light years removed from what we have today.

So to say [and I'm not suggesting these are your words Belly] by way of an all embracing comment that "synthetic approaches are not as good as wood and that's all it will ever be" is just plain silly and shows a deep lack of understanding of what has occurred over recent years in this industry - but then that's not altogether a unique situation. I have given up being surprised at how little is actually understood about this business by bowlers, some of whom are at the elite end and I would have thought might have more inquiring minds, a bent towards individuality and be less inclined to be a mere member of the flock.

Still what do I know, my golf game is better these days than my bowling and YOU of all people know what a mug golfer I am.

Cheers,

Steve

Hey Jonsey,
Can't wait to have a hit of golf with you in May. Is sledging allowed on every hole because it is going to happen.
Cheers Lovey

Jonsy

I love your all embracing comment that "synthetic approaches are not as good as wood and that's all it will ever be". Thats not what I said what I said is right now I prefer wood over synthetic because in my opinion they are more reliable and consistant. I don't remember sayiny thats the way it will be forever. If that was the case the Manhattan rubber would still be the best ball ever made.

I appreciate that technology is advancing and that the synthetic technology is improving but it is not there just yet. I hope it does eventually replicate wooden approaches. My issue it not the future approaches it is all the current synthetic approaches that are not maintained properly that will continue to be a problem

Dear Mr Stephen Bell....pls refer to my post that clearly states "and I'm not suggesting these are your words Belly".

1. Is it a left handed thing that brains slowly drip out of ones ear - Lovell actually proves this to be correct..........and if he want's sledging around the #1 rated course in WA when he visits in May - then so be it!! Bring lots of golf balls Lovell - this place eats them...next stop left is Madagascar!

2. What's wrong with Manhattan Rubber balls - I've just upgraded to one - are you suggesting that I am behind the times?

3. With the greatest degree of respect I can muster, how do you know "it's not there yet"...when was the last time [in fact the first time] you bowled on state of the art synthetic lanes and approaches- and I MEAN state of the art - and would you know what they were if they popped up in your corn flakes?

4. You're right about one thing though mate - and that's your last sentence - 100% on the money.

Cheers........and Go Hawks [just for you Jase]

My two cents worth - synthetic approaches are dangerous but cheaper than wood. Apparently money is more important than player safety. I have found that the most important piece of bowling equipment I have is a sock over my shoe which ensures that I never stick. If I dont have the sock I do not bowl - its not worth the risk to my joints and my back.

I believe that proprieters are liable for injuries caused by unsafe equipment and given the physical nature of this sport, synthetic approaches are unsafe equipment. Look after your health and wealth - write an incident report every time you stick or fall, and pass on any medical bills to the bowl.

I believe that proprieters are liable for injuries caused by unsafe equipmentbowl.
I find this comment laughable.
1. Liable has to be proven.
2. You would also have to show that you had taken all possible steps to prevent injury to yourself as the conditions that don't suit you may well be fine for others.
3. I think that some people / bowlers are just a little to precious.
4. So I assume youalso think that the bowler, be they social or league, that goes over the foul line onto the dangerous, slippery, oily lane and hurts themselves should also sue?

Rob

Bowlrig, they do Sue, and Win. I also know of Bowlers who have Sued and Won when the Approaches were in a Dangerous condition.

As far as Synthetic Approaches are concerned, more time is spent working on them, some Centre's clean and Buff every day, they use concoctions from Isosicol to Caustic Soda trying to make them slide. It's true as Steve Jones say's that they are improving the Technology of approaches and that they are affected by Humidity, the unfortunate thing is 99% of those approaches already down don't work and There is hardly a Centre in Australia that has adequate Air Conditioning to eradicate the Humidity, where as in the USA many Centre's run the Air Conditioners 24/7.

willey

Hi Jonesy,
As you know, I bowl with a sock on my slide shoe even on wood approaches. I have never had any dramas on wood, and have had lots on synthetics. My take on the issue of synthetics is simple - technology is supposed to improve the sport. In the case of synthetic lanes, the benefits are obvious - a more consistent surface which is easy to maintain and long-lived without the need for resurfacing. In this case, there obvious advantages (for the proprietor at least) in going synthetic. Synthetic approaches are less reliable, require more maintenance, and are less consistant than wood, and in this case the best the manufacturer can do really is to replicate the properties of wood! There is no advantage to anyone with synthetics that I can see, so why bother?

Hi Rob - points well made - except that technology has improved to the degree that synthetic approaches do now go very close to actually replicating wood approaches - and given we live in a world where timber is a finite commodity the "why bother" response is cost. There will be a time soon, likely sooner than I might think, that wood becomes simply too expensive and offers no additional value to proprietors. Don't get me wrong Rob - if I had a choice I'd bowl on wood all day everyday and twice on Sundays...but I'm not certain that will be a realistic option in years to come...so it's best that the science continues to improve the quality of the logical replacement of the natural resource.

Cheers

Steve

"One reason Amanda Little doesn't Bowl anymore."

Wow, as in Amanda (nee) Bradley the world champion?? What happened??
Amanda still plays league once a week, even has a reasonably newish ball lol, the problem with each centre here in Newcastle is that they are all owned by the same group, and unfortunately have shown on numerous occasions very little interest in maintaining a good relationship with its more consistant earnings, ie leagues.

Quite often on any given day, if you were to go there and have some practice, let alone bowl league, you would find terrible approaches, due to kids, day time social bowling and very little time spent maintaining or cleaning the approaches for reasonably safe use. The tech that is on Monday nights, automatically cleans the approaches that Pete and Amanda play on. It shouldn't have to be like that, purely because the approaches are unplayable prior to start.

I myself have quite literally walked out on league nights due to this issue, something I have never done before. Even George can attest to the severity of condition (last tournament played he injured himself and took a few months to get over).

In regards to the topic, I have always preferred wooden approaches as this is what I have grown up on at Caboolture. I have from dodgy memory never bowled on a poor wooden approach or been unable to overcome them, regardless of how badly maintained compared to synthetic, where so many factors seem to have an influence, weather, humidity, placement in centre, the list goes on. The approach as part of my shot, unfortunately plays such a big part and I am always wary of its influence.

In regards to the topic, I have always preferred wooden approaches as this is what I have grown up on at Caboolture. I have from dodgy memory never bowled on a poor wooden approach or been unable to overcome them, regardless of how badly maintained compared to synthetic, where so many factors seem to have an influence, weather, humidity, placement in centre, the list goes on. The approach as part of my shot, unfortunately plays such a big part and I am always wary of its influence.

Caboolture's approaches are very good and consistent, it's an all round great centre for bowling (except for lane 1, different issue).

I've only had major problems with approaches in two centres, Tuggers in Canberra (synthetic) and Werribee (happens to be wood).

At Tuggers I found I could not slide at all, unless I changed my sole to the least resistant I had, and then I couldn't stop. There was no in between. May have been the weather or preparation of them, because I don't remember having that problem the other time I was there.

At Werribee I found I could not stop, it was the polar opposite. The approaches were way too quick for me and as a result I wasn't able to get leverage through my shoulder. I put on a more resistant sole and stopped dead on the spot, so again could not find a middle ground.

Both great centres, I just could not handle the approaches. I much prefer wood, but it just goes to show that even if you get your favourite surface it doesn't guarantee a consistent feel.

Believe it or not, I have only ever bowled in 2 Centres with synthetic approches, as I wasn't bowling other than locally when the great changovers were taking place.
1. Aspley. Couldn't score there. Really couldn't bowl there. On the last step, wherever my left foot went down, that's where it stopped....Dead!
2. Sunset Bowl, Toowoomba.- Just after it opened. I approached bowling there with great trepidation, after the Aspley experience, but I had no trouble at all. Now that was a long time ago when that bowl opened in Toowoomba. They must have been early synthetics. Does this mean that they can be prepared / maintained to work OK?. What are they like now?

Easy Tiger said:
I much prefer wood, but it just goes to show that even if you get your favourite surface it doesn't guarantee a consistent feel.
I've never bowled on synthetic approaches and from what a lot of people have told me over the years, I think I'd stuff a pair of socks into the bowling bag if I had to or even grab a house shoe.
You're spot on about the above quote too, back in the day I always found Devonport and Launceston's approaches very quick (both wood) and found it hard to gain any sort of leverage on, Burnie & Mornington were always fast too.
Moonah's are generally very good but I've also found them to be treacherous at times, depending on climate, maintenance issues etc.
I remember a few years ago, they'd done a strip, seal & buff on the settee area floor, looked all nice and polished and shiny.
Only trouble was, it had been absolutely pouring down with rain for the better part of 18 hours straight and was also warm and extremely humid.
The centre felt sticky like a rainforest, the stuff that had been used to strip and seal the settee area floor was still quite sticky (even though it'd been buffed very early that morning) and bowlers were getting it on the bottoms of their bowling shoes and trampling it all up onto the approaches.
The upshot was, bowlers were sticking and going down like ninepins everywhere, I reckon I saw at least ten go over that night, I went over the line four times, and as far as the arrows the last time while still juggling a 16lb ball in my hand and trying not to fall on me arse.
Needless to say, I didn't enjoy a particular good night, nor did I ever attempt to slide again that evening either.

On the slippery side of the coin, I remember having to bowl league in about early 1995 after the lanes had been given a sand and recoat, only half had been done by this night and the saw dust was thick EVERYWHERE, the approaches reminded me of a sawmillars, you were kicking sawdust along as you were walking on the approaches. Needless to say things got a bit interesting there at times.

Back
Top Bottom