Only ONE BALL Allowed

jimcross

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ARISING FROM THE THREAD SYNTHETIC OR WOOD, i HAVE ANOTHER FAIR DINKUM QUESTION.

If you and everyone you were going to bowl against was confined to ONE BALL ONLY, plus a plastic spare ball, and disregarding the type of drilling you would use ( as this would depend more on your type of release and delivery,),

Would you select,
a) ball for light oil

b) ball for medium oil,
or
c) ball for heavy oil.?

AND WHY
I don't mean for just one, known condition,.

I would like to know what you would choose, knowing that it had to be used on whatever condition you happened upon.

Remember, I also would like to know WHY !

Jim

Sorry i stuffed up and wrote on the other post

One ball for me = Light oil conditions
Why = I can use angles for when the oil is heavy
then move around the approach when the lane opens up
as well as move when cary down happens

If the lanes are medium oil then similar deal as above

If the lanes are dry then I'm Okay
Then i might even use the plastic to bowl
my strike shot as well if tooooo dry

If only it was all that easy

yeah i agree with Geoff, Light oil, one that wont be too agressive if you come across a dry lane and if there is oil there and plenty of it play out where there is some friction and angle it in. As the pattern wears away move the feet.

You'd be better served with this option than going with a heavy oil ball as the condition will change quick with everyone rolling over the same (similar) line. When the oil runs out and you have only got an aggresive ball your in deep.

My 2c worth anyway.

Pro V1x. My "spare" prefferably should be the same. :D

Oh Bowling.... That's right.

Traction = friction. Friction = release of energy. Release of energy = angle. Angle = strike %. Id prefer a ball too strong*** than too weak, simply because too much friction is easier to score than not enough. We can strike brooklyn, we can't NORMALLY strike missing the headpin to the right. After all, isn't bowling about the score?

Give me a solid ball that I can polish in a pickle, and that I can dull when drowning on soup. Anything stupid dry may as well use a plastic ball rather than fight over-reaction.

The AMF300 Clutch is the ball that comes to mind immediately, but you can pick your 80% ball from any company using the same principle.

(*** The strength of a ball has nothing to do with how many boards it crosses in the backend. The strength of a ball has to do with how early it exits its Skid stage, and transitions to hook then roll.)

As for me I would choose a medium oil ball, preferably a hybrid. I would choose the Ultra zone by Brunswick, a very versatile ball. Good luck and good bowling.

I have an excellent ball for this already, it's a Big-Bang that I've pollished & can use on pretty much anything. Drier lanes it lets me play a massive angle & still carry.., medium lanes is a nice & comfy shot generally down 10 out to about 7, & wet lanes I can play nice & tight depending (whether it be straight through 5, or tight through 15)

Even if a lane breaks down to complete crap with no oil, you can always change your wrist to make it to the pocket anyways. Like wise with heavy oil, a change in speed & wrist position can sometimes do more than a change in ball would (well for me atleast)

tonx got it in my opinion...

"Give me a solid ball that I can polish in a pickle, and that I can dull when drowning on soup. Anything stupid dry may as well use a plastic ball rather than fight over-reaction."

I arrive with it at 4000 grit polished to the max and dull as needed in practice. I'd rather try striking on no oil with a C-System then trying to strike on a flood with a Tropical Storm...

Surface is key!

Hi Jim, for me it's the Storm Virtual Gravity. Many may say it's too big but l have two of them with very different drillings, it can be tamed right down. Surface is also very versitile, polished or sanded it often matches up well to what ever condition is laid.

I tell you! If I only had one ball it would have cost me alot less to settle with my ex-wife!!!!!!!

i would choose the heavy lane ball since i have bowled on light oil patterns and used a heavy lane ball bowling about 36-40mph i think its measured at the alleys and easy controlable .

i just can't slow down sometimes its my down fall for now but im learning fast.

Strong ball, weak drill. And if it's really about one ball, no spare ball allowed.
For me, a strong ball with a weak drill will cover a wider range of conditions than weak ball/strong drill. Tune the surface as required for the oil volume. Learn to roll straight for spares.

From Bigman "i would choose the heavy lane ball since i have bowled on light oil patterns and used a heavy lane ball bowling about 36-40mph i think its measured at the alleys and easy controlable .

i just can't slow down sometimes its my down fall for now but im learning fast."

Love to see you bowl at 36-40 mph lol. I think you might find it is measured in KPH.

Hi Jim,
Long time no see, gee you`re looking well. I choose an Onyx Vibe
from the Hammer range, and I`m not going to reveal the drilling for all conditions, but even with my arthritic lack of hand, I will adjust and score.
Take care Mate.
Regards
Animal.

Hi Jim,
Long time no see, gee you`re looking well. I choose an Onyx Vibe
from the Hammer range, and I`m not going to reveal the drilling for all conditions, but even with my arthritic lack of hand, I will adjust and score.
Take care Mate.
Regards
Animal.

Hi, Laurie,

It is a while. I'll be back up there again, if this lot of 'shoulder fixing' allows me to bowl more than the 3 or 4 games at a time, that the last lot did. I imagine your 'secret drilling' will go l-o-n-g.

Regards, Jim

i bolwed in a tournament series lat year where there were 10 people bowling at a time.
and they had no end of problemswith people having 3 or more balls on the return.

my solution for something like this
you nominate 2 balls to use for that game and cant switch them for any other nutil the game is over.
it would keep the amount of balls on the return down to an even 10. 2 per bowler.
i only use one ball per game. i like a consistent feel when i bowl.

but i say when there are 2 5 person teams bowling or even 4 person teams.
people can only pick out 2 balls and use only those two for that game.

that wasn't the issue, mb600, the original topic was proposing what single ball you would use, if you had to, & why, lol

Back
Top Bottom