Oiling Patterns...

Between us, we know ALOT about everything to do with the sport.
More than alot of older generations would know.

"When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years." Mark Twain

p.s. "A lot" is two words. :)

"When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years." Mark Twain

p.s. "A lot" is two words. :)[/quote]

I always had a feeling that Mark Twain wasn't just a pretty face. Now I'm sure of it!!

Age old saying.... Teenagers should move out of home quickly, while they still know everything.

Advertising the pattern is advisable. The only thing that is more important than advertising the oil condition is the technical staff of the tournament actually getting it to play like it is supposed to. Most in Australia have no idea how to even achieve this.

Age old saying.... Teenagers should move out of home quickly, while they still know everything.

Advertising the pattern is advisable. The only thing that is more important than advertising the oil condition is the technical staff of the tournament actually getting it to play like it is supposed to. Most in Australia have no idea how to even achieve this.

The pattern always plays how it's supposed to. Given the circumstances under which it's laid. 45 foot of oil on old beat up wood is still going to have friction. But I guess the Tech's should just lay more oil right? when does it end? When everyone is happy?

Plus, what makes your belief of how a pattern 'should' play the correct one? It play's the way it play's. There is no right or wrong, good or bad. It can play easy, or hard. But then, neither of them is right or wrong...

Cow

I'd say Australian Open was a complete failure on behalf of whoever thought it appropriate to only run a tournament pattern the day of the tournament, directly over a house shot.

I'd say Australian Open was a complete failure on behalf of whoever thought it appropriate to only run a tournament pattern the day of the tournament, directly over a house shot.

Eh?

[ QUOTE=UBBY ] Between us, we know ALOT about everything to do with the sport.
More than alot of older generations would know.[/QUOTE]

[ QUOTE=jimcross ]I'm one of those older generations, and I've decided that I'm really lucky. I can't read oil patterns. I look at them and they mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to me.

The more of these posts I read, the luckier I feel.

Failure in what way? How many times should it be run? Would 4-5 times be enough?

Oh I don't know, how about at least once? It is supposed to be one of the largest tournaments in this country.

I PERSONALLY have spent hours apon hours before MANY tournaments helping with lane testing before events. Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I feel that the only tournament scene in Victoria to have worked in the last 10 years has been the VSS, and I'd like to think that it continues to work because the people involved actually care how the tournament is prepared and ran instead of just oiling on the day and hoping for the best.

In fact Bluey, you have previously commented on one particular occasion that you were impressed with the fact that we did this at Oztenpin Epping for Melbourne Cup, due to the condition on paper is not always accurate and fair.

It should be a cardinal SIN to run a tournament on a tournament pattern that is different to the house shot WITHOUT testing, adjusting and retesting the condition at least once. Anyone who disagrees with this really has absolutely no idea on how to run a successful tournament, and is free to debate with me any time at all. :D

Have a nice day.

Failure in what way? How many times should it be run? Would 4-5 times be enough?

It should have been run at least twice a day for 7 days leading up to it, tested after 2-3 days and results sent back to Kegel for tweaking. The high friction surface at Sunshine was always going to come into play, I"m sure Kegel would have boosted some streams of oil to ensure the bounce was taken away. On that pattern there not suppose to be any bounce, subsequently, 16th was avg 220.

Good analysis George. I wasn't at this event, but what you say makes good sense.

The same thing happened at last years SPC, where A squad demolished it, as a lot of the extra oil to be applied outside 10 board was absorbed into the machines buffer roller. It wasn't until B and C squads that the roller reached a point of saturation and laid the full volume down outside 10. As the tournament went on, straighter became progressively greater.

Ironically, that situation happened because the house put the pattern down two weeks early and heir house bowlers, used to have 10 boards of Gobi Desert to bounce off squealed that they couldn't hook the ball. (Mainly because they're victims of their environment and can't hook the ball without the said 10 dry boards. Double irony there...)

What George suggests is the ideal situation. I'd say laying the pattern two days ahead would be a better result than not at all. Ultimately, what you really need is a bloody good laneman who knows the house in the season that the tournament is on. (Then pray it doesn't rain for a week.) Easier said than done.

Cheers,
Jason

I bowled on the pattern Thursday, Friday, (where it was laid twice) Saturday, (again laid twice) Sunday morning and afternoon, (again laid twice). There didn't seem to be any difference at all. I used the same equipment in the same area every time. As for tweaking the pattern after a couple of days to play how it should l think Cow said it best, "what makes your belief of how a pattern should play the correct one." Surely after laying the pattern 7 times in 4 days it is bedded in.

Back
Top Bottom