extreme oil patterns

In regards to what has been said about bowling becoming an olympic sport, to me the thing that holds it back is the fact that conditions can be manipulated to advantage or disadvantage a certian player, it is not a case off the best bowler winning but the one who's shot best suits the pattern. A way off creating a fair shot that no matter how many revs you throw or at what speed needs to be devised so that it is a level playing field. Take the 100m final, they all run on the same track, surface, distance, who ever runs the quickest wins. A way for bowling to be fair across the board is needed.

Brenton Davy, is this the same Brenton Davy, who as guest writer in Pinaction Magazine, wrote about not being able to play his "A" game when he arrived at other Centre's to play Tournaments, after spending his Hard Earned. Probably older and wiser now, but the fact remains others have that very same feeling. Now you think they should suffer as you had to.

How the worm turns

willey.

First of all, I wasnt at NSW Open (injured) however after looking at the scores on tenpin.org.au, I had wished I was!

I believe bowling should be a mental sport, rather than a physical sport. Tougher conditions (IMHO) make a bowler become a shot maker. They show who is best at shot repeatability, precision, and spare making. They also get a bowler WORKING the lanes. If a frustrating condition doesnt build a tough mental attitude, what will?

Even though I started post-"resin revolution" I learned the game in a tough wooden house. This taught me how to compete on tough conditions.

Tough conditions show those that PREPARE for the unexpected, are rewarded moreso than those that rock up with 8 balls all designed for oil, and nothing for dry, or visa-versa. They show bowlers that KEEP THINKING succeed, rather than those that have worked out where to stand to carry the most.

My favourite bowling event this year was National Youth cup, due to the fact the scoring was mild, yet the lanes played EXTREMELY FAIR for ALL types of bowlers! Again, IMHO, as long as there is enough oil in the heads for bowlers not to injure themselves from just FLINGING the ball (co-incidently, the reason I wasnt at NSW...) I will continue to enjoy the game, regardless of the scoring!!

These are my views only, and I understand those that disagree with me, and where they am comming from. Unfortunately, there is no way to satisfy everyone.

Look its like this, i agree with making the lanes a challenge but if they continue to keep laying down these hard patterns those 20 bowlers who bowl all the tournaments will continue to bowl and improve BUT the other 80 who come just to average well and make up the numbers will get sick and tired of bowling 170. So go ahead continue putting down the tough stuff, i have no problem with that but it will end up being the same 20 guys on their own in a bowling centre somewhere bowling for 200 bux

Ah Willey, you are showing your age....or at least the extent of your Pin Action Archive....

Yes, much older and wiser, not to mention a lot more versatile. I shall have to dig out that item. I believe it was in response to a letter by Don Atkinson using that old hoary chestnut "If you are so good you should be able to adjust!"

I believe that my point in that article was that the further you have to adjust away from your comfort zone was proportional to the increased difficulty in executing and scoring and I still believe that today. However, I also now subscribe to a prominent AFL coaches theory that you "Work hard on your weaknesses and even harder on your strengths".

Is that the article you are referring to?

Brenton I have no archive, I just remember the article, it stood out in my mind, it was a good point, even now. That's what I don't like about "Tricking" up the lanes, people are going to find themselves way out of thier comfort zones, I'm afraid that will impact negativly on Tournament bowling.

I'd much rather see the short and long oil pattern system, than bowlers can see how far behind they really are, not a pattern that can have a negative impact on good bowlers as well. What are we looking for, Spinners, it may come to this to be able to handle hard Tricked up lanes.

JMHO, willey.
36 year laneman.

The Chosen One said:
Whats wrong with the good old days, each house had its own caracteristics and played different to the next.

I agree. How are bowlers going to learn to adjust to different conditions if every centre is the same?

Brenton I have no archive, I just remember the article, it stood out in my mind, it was a good point, even now. That's what I don't like about "Tricking" up the lanes, people are going to find themselves way out of thier comfort zones, I'm afraid that will impact negativly on Tournament bowling.

That is my point. What are house patterns if not tricked up walls? Original oil patterns were there purely to protect the lane surface and was distributed evenly (or as evenly as was posible with spray bottles etc) It was only after it was discovered that oiling patterns could be adjusted to aid the scoring pace that "THS's" became the norm, rather than the exception, especially since the advent of urethane lane surfaces and later, synthetics.

IN my opinion what TBA is doing is actually de-tricking (if that is a word) the oiling paterns......................

I bowled and cut at Mt Druitt. It was tough as all getout. Probably a little too tough, but only a little. I think TBA were close to the money on that condition, but I suspect that the HPL (Hook Plenty Lane) surface made it tougher than it needed to be. It was very tight with jumpy backends and required excellent execution of both swing and release to get to the pocket and carry. Not of itself a bad thing.

THS - Typical House Shot? Top Hat Shot? Face it. It means blocked lanes. An artificial way to get to the pocket. Between blocked lanes with synthetic backend finish and Hyperballs that rev faster, hit harder and slap the corners out for no good reason, bowling has never been so easy. The trouble is that really easy has become normal. Really easy is fun for sure and NSW Open was not fun, but big tournaments are hard work. The condition took the raffle-like nature of a blocked lane turkey shoot away, which undoubtedly increased the premium on shot making, but also bruised some egos.

So my suggestion to the TBA is this. A little more fun (just a little) would probably be a good thing. We aren't PBA. We're nowhere near that good - none of us. We do it for fun.

Back
Top Bottom