Reading oil patterns.

mickyd213

I know that Chris Mesagno has written a bit on this topic but i would like to know a little more about reading the patterns. Like fwd/rev oil, buff area volume and ratio and how it determines an oob area. I have added the link to the pattern used at the NSW open. I have bowled in a few of the VSS's in Vic (where work doesn't interfere) and enjoy the challenge but understanding the patterns would be a help.

Cheers,
Mick

http://www.totalbowling.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5391&d=1216189897

Thank you for posting that up. As I'm kind of newish to bowling, I'll like to learn a bit more about oil patterns. Here're a couple of questions:

- Where can I find Chris Mesagno's article. I've done a search for the name but no results came up.

- Is there any other articles I can find on the forum or online?

- How much does house pattern differs from bowling alleys? Typically, what sort of pattern are they?

Thanks. :D
Thomas

house patterns change from centre to centre, why i aint really sure, some will go longer others go shorter, i know they oil them normally around 4pm as they dont have time to oil them for all leagues,

Good questions ...
Go to
www.kegel.net
Look at the Sports Patterns and the Challenge Patterns.
Take note of the topography and when the units of oil change going "across the boards" and going "down the lane"
Then read the associated information with each pattern.
It takes a while to understand, but the information is 100% accurate.
Hope this helps

OK this is just to see if i'm on the right track... looking at the Kegel challenge pattern 'Route 66' would you say that outside 2nd arrow would be out of bounds and you would play between 10 and 15 board??? Also what ratio pattern would this be?

OK this is just to see if i'm on the right track... looking at the Kegel challenge pattern 'Route 66' would you say that outside 2nd arrow would be out of bounds and you would play between 10 and 15 board??? Also what ratio pattern would this be?

Ok...here's my take on things (and i'm by no means an expert). The term OOB is quite misleading. Taking the route 66 as an example, the length of the pattern is 45 feet. This means there is only friction is the back 15 feet of the lane initially. So to play outside 10 board, you would need sufficient rotation on the to bring the ball back to the pocket in that 15 feet of friction. For me, due to my minimal rotation on the ball, this is not possible and thus this area is OOB for me. For a cranker however they can probably still strike from outside 10 board. Now the reason they don't play this area is due to the ratio of oil across the lane. From 9 board to 2 board there is an equal amount of oil on each board and this oil is buffed to 45 feet. The friction is equal across all these boards and the ball will hook the same amount from each board meaning there is no room for error. A ball that is thrown 1 board right of target will not make it back to the pocket while a ball thrown left will go high.
If i was playing this pattern, i'd be trying to keep the breakpoint close to the pocket...probably around 14 board as this is in the middle of the transition between the heavier volume of oil in the middle of the lane and the lighter oil on the outside.
Hope this helps.

you wont find criss info on line he use to run clinics at mentone and if you go to pba.com for sports pat and info

Thanks guys... It was more out of curiosity that i wanted to know. I've always adjusted to the conditions put in front of me... (not always successfully mind you) but having some idea is better than no idea IMO.

Back
Top Bottom