Synthetic vs Wood

S

sampson1791

:confused: OK :confused:

For the uninitiated (aka ME :p ) what can I expect from synthetic lanes than the wood ones I bowl on in Sale?

Are there different types of synthetic lanes?
If so, how are they different?
Do older syn lanes act differently than new?

Are the oil patterns thet same for syn over wood or visa versa?
Is there more or less carry down?

Cheers
Sampson1791

Wooden lanes will dry up faster than synthetic lanes, but synthetics can have more carry down.

There are numerous types of synthetic lanes (eg Anvilanes).
What makes the numerous types different is their hardness.

Oiling patterns play differently on synthetics as they do on wood and there are patterns out there that you will find are a lot better to play on different surfaces.

Synthetic surfaces are smoother than wood surfaces, which although coated with polyurethane, still carry some characteristics of the timber underneath. For example, a patch of hard wood can create a "hold" spot on the lane, owing to the lower friction. The polyurethane surface wears much faster than the synthetic surface, so the middle of the lane starts to play differently to the edges. Today's high friction ball covers really rip it up, especially if your house doesn't put enough oil to protect them.

As wood lanes wear out, you find more and more centres replace them with synthetic overlays or whole new synthetic lanes. Synthetic lanes also don't need resurfacing, although there's quite a few about that could do with a screening coat, according to some learned friends I have in the business. This means that synthetics don't have the down time that wood lanes do. Good news for the bowling business. I must confess that I do prefer the sound that a wood lane makes when the ball lands and rolls down it. It sounds "right".

You can expect to see the ball go straighter in the oil and hook more on the backend. Synthetic lanes play as if the oil were about 4ft longer as a rule, so tend to be dressed shorter which is alleviated by greater carry down, smoothing out the break point after a few games.

Jason got it spot on...

However...

Sale? wow, are you going to enjoy not bowling there :p Have they fixed lanes 5-6, or is the front half of the lane still flaking?

Last year at Sale cup, it was throw it as fast as you could with as much loft as you could using plastic. That my friend is NOT bowling! Try following up a weekend at that centre with bowling something thats dressed heavy and long. It was impossible :D

Any centre with synthetics will be a more enjoyable session than Sale.... You will see at least double the oil volume if the lanes are dressed even lightly compared.

It may pay to get your ball(s) resurfaced before you bowl, as if you are using anything down in Sale, its probably well worn down to very little friction producing capabilities.

Thank you all

So my first time bowling @ Ed Flemming will be my last? :(

I am looking forward to bowling there though. I can't get my ball resurfaced though - so I will have to polish and buff it the old fashion way - buffer lambs wool plate & cordless drill.

I will let you know how I go

Jason

If we have time, I'll run in for you on the weekend and give it a quick fix before you bowl, it should at least get you through the weekend :D

Look forward to meeting you!

Cheers mate!

I love the consistency of Synthetic lanes and how the way the lanes are at the start of a series is how they are at the end. In my experience, they dont dry out like wood.

comparing synthetic lanes to wood. well lets just say synthetic are far more constistant and the wood lanes i bowl on my ball burns up to easily so it sucks. but synthetics are way better. in my own personal opinion

from what i know, synthetic is a better alround surface because the physical surface of the lane is smoother. it takes a lot more than a silly social kid lofting a 14 pound past the dots to damage them where as with wood over time gets unavoidable feathering and this can cause inconsistent ball reaction. but most centres can still lay a reaosnable scoring condition with wooden lanes, perhaps higher maitnenance but i give praise to those who can achieve it, personally i dont mind bowling on either because no matter wether your a high end bowler or an avg joe 160 bowler you'll still bowl on both surfaces, gotta deal with it on the day

Garden City Lanes have just gotten their synthetics. I have found that on the lanes my games have become much more consistent, if I'm not striking I'm sparing about 90% of the time. I think that everybody has their favourite sorts of lanes but having bowled at 3 centres with synthetics, I believe that it also comes down to the fact if they are installed correctly and maintained properly. One alley I bowled at had problems where all the lanes crack 2-3 inches over the foul lines as there was not enough support under the lane. These lanes are still being oiled with an ancient oiling machine.

The new lanes at Garden City rock. I miss the sound of the old wooden lanes but I'm loving my game scores now

synthetic lanes smoother?

I thought the reason they held their oil longer was because they have minute dimples which 'hold' the oil & prevent it from moving as easily as wooden lanes.

Wouldn't that make wooden lanes smoother?

I was thinking the same thing because when I started on synthetics I noticed that there was more friction on the dry boards and at the breakpoint, my ball was more skid-snap rather than a smooth arc that I was expecting... :confused:

yeh i noticed that also on wooden lanes i noticed that your bowl dnt snap as hard but still does and on synthetic lanes holds the oil hell of alot better i love it and the friction is great my center has wooden but i have bowled on both big difference between them.

Back
Top Bottom