Sports Tournament Announcement

Jase

Admin
Staff member
After calling Lee Mathey and after much discussion yesterday I think I may have a solution to the debate on how the “PACER” spot bowlers may or not affect the outcome of this tournament.

I would just like to make it clear that the idea for these “PACER SPOTS” was to try and give some bowlers experience and the want to enter in future tournaments and to bring the numbers up to the required 96 entries to make this tournament format work successfully.

I did originally suggest to Lee that this decision of his “PACER SPOTS” was always going to be a tough and complicated exercise, in his defense he is only trying to do what he thought was for the good of the sport and tournament bowling in Australia…

The proposed solution if we can get agreement from the majority would be;

We have limit of 16 PACER SPOT bowlers;

• 8 Pacer Spot bowlers are put into Squad A 1 per set of lanes
  • 8 Pacer Spot bowlers are put into Squad B 1 per set of lanes
  • Every time you play a Pacer Spot bowler in qualifying, it’s an automatic 40 pin win
  • A Pacer cannot win a Match
  • A Pacer cannot feature in the Cash spots
  • A Pacer cannot feature in the finals
  • Pacers will not enter into the seeding system after round 1

By doing this Pacer spot bowlers will have no influence on the outcome of the tournament but it will still be giving them the experience of bowling against and with some of Australia’s best bowlers…

The only snag will be that we may need to move up to 8 bowlers out of B squad into A squad to make this work…This is obviously not the Bowlers problem but now Lee’s but it would be great if there is some bowlers in B squad that could make it a little easier by swapping this would very much appreciated…

This is only a proposal that I gave Lee and I would like to know what everybody thinks.

We would love to keep the 40 for a win and 20 for draw because; a game within a game will add excitement and atmosphere into the Tournament...

At the end of the day they say that cream rises to the top.

Let’s see if this is the case with this format.

Please leave your thoughts or criticism here in this thread...This is the only fairest way that I can see this working, this doesn’t mean that it’s the only way…If you have a better idea please leave it here…

I'm not trying to shoot the idea down, but I thought the idea behind getting a full 96 bowlers was to fill the field so the format could be tested?

Doing it this way looks like defeating the original purpose.

I'm not trying to shoot the idea down, but I thought the idea behind getting a full 96 bowlers was to fill the field so the format could be tested?
Doing it this way looks like defeating the original purpose.

Yeah and the original idea is to get 96 FULLY PAID entries also…Lee is doing everything he can to make sure that the prize fund is NOT CUT like most events…

Tell me Tim are you a paying entry or a free one…If you have a better solution to what is unfolding then post it…But as a free entry playing for free I really don’t think you can start to criticize the event…The way I see it is that the people paying the $300+ dollars to play are the ones who have the say here…

Like I said if you think there is another way around it then post it…

I have no issues with people being a pacer to gain experience, I do have an issue when they are playing for free and still want to criticize what we are trying to accomplish and want a choice as well…

No matter what you do Jase or Lee - people will criticize what you guys are trying to do. - good luck I hope it works out (if its still around next year I put it down as an event to travel to). Just remeber you can't keep everyone happy. Just choose one way & go with it. To me it sound fair.

Dave K

I cant see a problem with this proposal. Like Jase said, Lee is trying to do the best for the sport and the best for this tournament, and a guy like that who has heart and wants to make something work needs all the support he can get.

Hi Jase/Lee,
Obviously there has been alot of discussion about this topic over the last few days.
I personally think that the way you guys are looking at changing the way "pacers" are allowed to play is a great solution. It should certainly even things out for both squads.

Lee,
Thanks for answering my questions yesterday it is much appreciated. Now that everything has been cleared up for us could you please enter myself and Kate into A squad please.

As you have both said this promises to be a great event. For the guys up here that have played our local sports series and are not bowling this event come out and have a go... The money is great for the entry fee and you don’t have any travel costs apart from fuel and parking for the day. If you travel to an interstate tournament you will pay around $1000 to get there etc and play, to win you might get 3 times that, if you cut you might cover the weekend.. If you cut in this event you are guaranteed to get a minimum of 3 times your cost to play! Much better odds.

Brian

Jase / Lee

I imagine your proposal is to distribute the pacers 1 per 6 bowler group (6 X 8 = 48). In this case their would be 3 lots of byes or 120 bonus points for all 40 paying bowlers.

The only problem with Jase's proposal will arise if you do happen to get more than 80 paying bowlers. Then you introduce inequality into the qualifying system.

I don't know what answer their is to this but if all bowlers put their thinking caps on then maybe a fair and equitable solution can be found that satisfies all paying bowlers.

One suggestion:

If we had only 80 paying bowlers then the qualifying format would be changed to three blocks of 4 games with five people on a pair of lanes. The rest of the format would not change.

This would eliminate the need for pacers altogether.

Though I can see their may be questions about whether this change requires any changes to the entry fee, prize payout or impact on people already entered.

Anyway keep up the good work in trying to ensure this event is successful and looking forward to bowling in the event.

I think we take this idea and run with it.

If needed, I am happy to offer up my B-squad position for this idea to work also.

Let me know Lee.

So tell me Jase, is that attack your way of doing something for the sport? You're right, I wasn't a paying entry, but I answered a call put out by Lee to achieve a full field of 96 bowlers so the format could be tested. I can't afford the entry fee, don't you dare judge me for that. Lee was kind enough to put me in, and thank you to Lee for sending me a PM after your mouth off.

I appreciate what Lee is doing, I don't appreciate judgements like yours.

Yours in bowling

Yeah and the original idea is to get 96 FULLY PAID entries also…Lee is doing everything he can to make sure that the prize fund is NOT CUT like most events…
Tell me Tim are you a paying entry or a free one…If you have a better solution to what is unfolding then post it…But as a free entry playing for free I really don’t think you can start to criticize the event…The way I see it is that the people paying the $300+ dollars to play are the ones who have the say here…
Like I said if you think there is another way around it then post it…
I have no issues with people being a pacer to gain experience, I do have an issue when they are playing for free and still want to criticize what we are trying to accomplish and want a choice as well…

I can see why Lee wanted to full the tournament, but filling the squads with free bowlers and expecting other bowlers to pay close to $500 dollars is alot of money. For me why should I pay that much when other bowlers get in for free, really deflates the whole issue for me, than those free bowlers want to tell the sponsors and tournament directors how to run the event, to the point it's insulting.

I appreciate what Lee is doing, I don't appreciate judgements like yours.
Yours in bowling

Actually Tim Jase does plenty for the sport. Inserts his money all around the country and in different states, and has two fantastic tours here in Qld that runs successfully.
Oh that’s right you know about those two, you put your name down and then pull out:rolleyes: why is that?????? Is it because they didn't run to your liking???? Or is it because he won’t let you bowl in them for free????

If I was sponsoring an event and a free loader spoke to a sponsor like that, I know where my cash would stay, in my bank.

I think Jase does more then his fair share, and still supports this sport, oh that's right bag him for what he tries to do

So when you say yours in bowling, I know who's yours in bowling, I know who is supporting the sport

Actually Tim Jase does plenty for the sport. Inserts his money all around the country and in different states, and has two fantastic tours here in Qld that runs successfully.
Oh that’s right you know about those two, you put your name down and then pull out:rolleyes: why is that?????? Is it because they didn't run to your liking???? Or is it because he won’t let you bowl in them for free????
If I was sponsoring an event and a free loader spoke to a sponsor like that, I know where my cash would stay, in my bank.

Honestly I can't be bothered having to defend myself. Name the number of tournaments I have pulled out of Steve? In the last 8 years it is probably less than 10 events I have put my name down for and pulled out of. The two you refer to (sports series and wide bay), I pulled out of because I bought a house and have a mortgage now. And even then, it's not like I put my name down for every stop in the series and pulled out, it was one of each, at around the same time. Get your facts straight.

Guys

As Lee has been kind enough to PM most of us with his thanks for our suggestions and comments and support for the event let's give him and the people who have provided us with this forum the courtesy they deserve and stop squabling about who did what.

Let's use Lee's good example and common courtesy and confine disputes or personal thank you's with other posters to a pm from now on.

This thread was to try to help ensure this event is succesful so lets leave it at that and all get behind Lee and the event.

Thanks again Lee for the personal thanks.

Thanks Terry
For those kind remarks.
Now that we have solved the pacer situation (i hope )I think we can
move towards the completion of this tournament.There is still time
for bowlers to come on board.Last count we needed 12 bowlers to
complete to full field.
Before I finish i would personally like to thank all bowlers supporting this tournament.And to the bowlers not bowling this year, Hopefully you will see
what a great tournament it was and come and bowl next year.
To Jason Pearson, you have cop't a lot of stick over the last couple of weeks
and most of it is from defending Me and the tournament.
Without your support and behind the scenes work this tournament
would have struggled . So I would publicly like to thankyou for your
fantastic help and on going support.
To Kellie & Totalbowling ,without this site bowling would be in the dark
age still and this tournament would not exist.
So thanks from me and I;m sure every bowler in Australia.

Thanks again
Lee Matthey

Back
Top Bottom