2007 BMW NSW Country Open - a couple of questions answered

BMW+BOWLING

All,

a couple of questions raised from the BMW NSW Country Open that was bowled on the weekend :-

a) Jamie Dykstra pulled out of the tournament during game 14 on the Day 2 day due to injury. The injury was serious enough that Jamie was not even able to complete the game (in fact, his last frame was zero'd out). A question was then asked about any advantage availed to either his partner on the lanes (Jarrod Lean) or to any other bowlers on subsequent pairs given that with Jamie's departure, Jarrod was now bowling on his own on the lane, and there would be only 3 bowlers now to the pair (e.g. less use of the lanes, less delays etc).
It was a fair question; however consideration was not given to providing a 'pacer' to backfill the loss of Jamie. There have been instances before of bowlers pulling out (during play on Day 2), and pacers were not provided to backfill any losses.
And checking today, going back to previous tournaments, the 2 previous instances of bowlers pulling out on Day 2 occurred in both 2002 and 2005; and no pacers were provided in either instance.
And btw; for whatever reason, Jarrod's games AFTER Jamie pulled out were 182 and 192; which was an average of 187. Prior to Jamie having pulled out, Jarrod was averaging 224 for the day. So, no advantage there!
But like I said, a fair question was raised, and I'm happy to ensure that a ruling for this type of situation is placed in all future entry forms.

b) bowling balls were awarded as prizes at the end of the tournament by the BALL sponsors of the tournament; Brunswick, Columbia, and Storm (and perhaps even QUBICA/AMF ... I can't remember, there were so many!). A question was raised about one of the winners (Rod Busic) who had won the ball provided by Storm, but he (Rod) wasn't present at the Bowl at the time of the presentation. It was considered that Rod was therefore not eligible for the award; and the question was raised to the Tournament Committee (myself, Aldo Belmonte, and Tony Murray). We discussed it, and whilst we decided that award winners SHOULD be present at the time in order to be eligible for awards, the stipulation/requirement as stated on the entry form was purely for the COLUMBIA ball; there was no stipulation for the eligibility of the other awards. Therefore, it was deemed that Rod was still eligible for his prize.
However, as stated, the Tournament Committee believe that bowlers SHOULD be present at the time of the presentation in order to be eligible for any awards; and therefore we will ensure that all future entry forms have that stipulation.

Any questions, please let me know.

Cheers
Frank van den Berg
Tournament Director (with Aldo Belmonte and Tony Murray)

Back
Top Bottom