Rev Rate and Ball Speed

jason_doust

The Bowling Geek
G'Day Folks,

This was asked of me the other day, so I thought I'd share it around as I'd written it up. Ball Speed and Rev Rate are determinants of pin carry. Like lots of things in bowling, more isn't necessarily better, but it may help.

To calculate your rev rate (in revolutions per minute)
You'll need some extra eyes for this.
1. Get a mate and put a couple of bits of white electrical tape above your finger holes.
2. Get your mate to count the revs and clock your shot with a stopwatch for 5-10 shots (after you've warmed up). Write it down! You've probably got a stopwatch in your mobile phone.

3. Take averages of the times and revs and apply this formula:

REV COUNT / TIME(secs) x 60 = RPM

Ball Speed
The attached table "Ball Speed Chart.xls" provides a quick look up for coaches and students of the game to use to calculate their ball speed. Like everything in bowling, it's in British Imperial units (mph), because it saves a lot of translation into metric.

Hope you find this useful.

Cheerio,
Jason

Attachments

• Ball Speed Chart.xls
    14.5 KB · Views: 193
When determining rev rate, you should also use your spare ball and chuck it down the middle in the oil. Especially for strokers. Dry lanes or an aggressive ball will rev up the ball after the heads, and reduce the ball speed - often dramatically.

Hi Guys, this has nothing to do with rev rate or anything but i cant find anywhere else to post this. I bought a Black widow bite recently and im having trouble finding a consistent shot with it. If i throw it too wide it doesnt come back, but if i bring it in it goes like theres no tomorrow. Can anyone help me?

Hi Guys, this has nothing to do with rev rate or anything but i cant find anywhere else to post this. I bought a Black widow bite recently and im having trouble finding a consistent shot with it. If i throw it too wide it doesnt come back, but if i bring it in it goes like theres no tomorrow. Can anyone help me?

Well, i have been hearing complaints about that the black widow bite doesn't have a long lifespan. Most owners of this particular ball tell me that it goes dead after about 50 or so games because it soaks up oil like crazy. Also, it is a speed sensitive ball and needs an aggressive drilling. If it's not coming back when thrown wide, it might actually have something to do with your rev rate and/or speed.

Well, i have been hearing complaints about that the black widow bite doesn't have a long lifespan. Most owners of this particular ball tell me that it goes dead after about 50 or so games because it soaks up oil like crazy. Also, it is a speed sensitive ball and needs an aggressive drilling. If it's not coming back when thrown wide, it might actually have something to do with your rev rate and/or speed.

Thanks for the tip Zoidberg. I trialed for Jcc yesterday. The black widow was great until the last 2 games when the lanes were dry.... it was rolling early and hooking a lot. I guess i have to flatten out my shot?

probably better off using your PAP.

Probably not. Because then the tape will just rotate around one spot. Making it very hard to count revolutions.

By putting the tape above the fingers it becomes very obvious when the ball rotates, especially in oil when it's skidding.

Later Da Cowman!

Thanks for the tip Zoidberg. I trialed for Jcc yesterday. The black widow was great until the last 2 games when the lanes were dry.... it was rolling early and hooking a lot. I guess i have to flatten out my shot?

Better idea is to change balls. The bite needs a fair bit of oil to work. Also if you throw the ball wide, why would you expect it to come back like a shot that is thrown over your target?

Sorry i didn't explain it. I changed my line to a wider line to allow for the hook. Im still experimenting. Ill find a line soon enough

Sorry i didn't explain it. I changed my line to a wider line to allow for the hook. Im still experimenting. Ill find a line soon enough
ok that's different but its likely you are moving in the wrong direction.
A reaon why the ball may not be recovering is there is some carry down on the outside boards near your breakpoint or the oil on the outside is still heavy (and unused?) compared to the more inside line you were originally throwing.
Next time instead of moving right (assuming you are right handed) move further left (deeper into the oil) with both your feet and target (this will need out at the time) to find more oil.

ok that's different but its likely you are moving in the wrong direction.
A reaon why the ball may not be recovering is there is some carry down on the outside boards near your breakpoint or the oil on the outside is still heavy (and unused?) compared to the more inside line you were originally throwing.
Next time instead of moving right (assuming you are right handed) move further left (deeper into the oil) with both your feet and target (this will need out at the time) to find more oil.
Thanks for the tip dishman. I will try that tonight when i bowl. =)

Back
Top Bottom