Ultra High Rev Bowling Action

Ash

I can't think of a title.
Hi all,
After watching what could only be described as a dessimation of the pins at Warrawong on the Weekend as I was competing in the South Coast Open, I couldn't help but notice how many of the (mainly younger) guys were throwing with an amasingly high rev rate, I would describe my action as having a medium rev rate (faster than most) but these guys put me to shame...

Is there any easy way to describe to me how this is done? If not, Is there anyone in here from the Campbelltown/liverpool/fairfield area who could show me how it's done? I love the power it generates and would love to have that type of release in my arsenal.

Cheers,
Alan Shephard.

Hello,Ash,
The technique involved is similar to throwing a frisby,or another way to look at it would be to grab a basketball and just roll it along the ground,you would have to cup your wrist to hold on to the basketball and this is the same motion required to "CRANK"the ball .
It is recomended you start with a lightweight ball to practice,than gradually increase the weight as you strengthen your wrist and smooth out your technique,it should all be done without effort so timing is the main ingredient.
I don't know anybody in south west Sydney,but someone like Dr Ed Kee has had many crankers in his pupils.You would have to find him,it should'nt be hard or he may refer you to another coach.
willey.

You get two general schools though, those that bend their elbow and those that dont.

Give you an idea of the release with the bent elbow http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/kennmelvin/VCranker.Htm

Alot of players these days dont so much fall into the cranker profile though. Id call them more power players, the same release is in effect, but the approach is different. It's more relaxed with the timing of the feet and the shoulders not quite as late as the one above. Alot of leverage comes from opening and closing the shoulders, it's alot like in golf, the same sort of twisting motion. All of it combined really allows you to get the arm coming through, all that is needed is the wrist in the right position, and for the thumb to come out of the ball earlier to allow the fingers to really work the ball.

Thanks Guys.

Levithian, Great find on that site! Thanks muchly, that was very informative, I'll deffinately be looking at those video clips and having a shot at getting my revs up. Thanks again.

Although there is technique involved, to really get the power that your talking about it involves alot of muscle, throw a shot 2 handed, thats what it should feel like if yu get your thumb out quick enough and rip up on the ball, it involves alot of muscle and getting your thumb out quickly. That's pretty much all I know, being as far from a cranker as humanly possible lol

Macca

Im sorry but Macca you are sadly mistaken. There is basically no muscle involved. Its all about the timing and technique. Good power players dont use muscle. That is all you need to know.

i have seen sumone bowl with 2 hands no thumb in the ball and his average is lik 230 and ranked highly in the country.
and i just seen today he was amazing it came in perfect

nugget300 said:
Im sorry but Macca you are sadly mistaken. There is basically no muscle involved. Its all about the timing and technique. Good power players dont use muscle. That is all you need to know.

Beg to differ. The traditional cranker (and there are a few around) have anything but a relaxed arm swing.

Nerdy Jnr said:
i have seen sumone bowl with 2 hands no thumb in the ball and his average is lik 230 and ranked highly in the country.
and i just seen today he was amazing it came in perfect

Theres a few videos of Jason Belmonte on the site .. click on Results up the top from previous years ...

Beg to differ. The traditional cranker (and there are a few around) have anything but a relaxed arm swing.[/quote]

Please note that i said good power players (including power strokers), and yes there is many crankers around who use muscle but i believe there there are better ways that are more effective when muscling the ball is not involved.

I thought crankers used upper body/shoulder strength to power the ball down the lane. Most crankers ive seen have a forced backswing and follow thru, allowing them to "crank" the ball and power it to the pocket.

I have seen a power stroker, and im pretty sure this person muscles it a little bit. I know when i bowl i muscle it a bit

Please note that i said good power players (including power strokers)

Are you implying that as soon as anyone uses muscle in their swing then they are instantly not a good power player/stroker? I'd love to see anyone, at all, bowl with out muscle.You would have no direction, your ability to hold onto the ball is all but gone, and therefore your ability to hit it is destroyed. Backswings would never be higher then someones pushaway, something that happens way way too much with the absurd amount of crankers around. Balance at the foul line is no more. Balance without muscle. Go on, you can't can you? Am I taking this slighty too far? Most Likely. Have I made the point that everyone uses muscle when bowling, and crankers have to use muscle, regardless of whether they belive they are or not, to crank the ball? I hope so.

Later Da Cowman!

The ultimate in high revving players, have the thumb exited early, the hand under the ball and then transfer the ball position projecting the wrist ahead of the ball. This breaks the wrist position open and the fingers accelerate through the release. The position change generates the optimum opportunity to apply rotation (can be total forward rotation to total side rotation or anywhere in between) to the ball. The description of throwing a frisbee is partly right as is the idea of skipping a stone across water or throwing a cricket ball side arm with a slinging motion. They all involve generating high acceleration forces over a short application distance during a complex physical motion. High revs are generally counted as 550 rpm or more, equating to about 17 to 22 revs on the ball down the lane, depending on the elapsed time from foul line to pin deck.

The cranker shown in the video linked to this thread doesn't break the wrist position very much, but generates side roll by releasing from the specific point shown. The release position can also be predominantly behind the ball, creating even more revs in a forward roll. This gives a delayed but very sharp breakpoint if the speed, surface of the ball and condition of the lane can be matched up.

Personally, my only way of creating the early thumb exit is to bowl with no thumb and I have now managed to generate the high rev count for which I was striving. It has taken nearly twelve months to do this on a consistent basis, but is very satisfying to watch the shot react down the lane. I will post 2 videos as soon as I am organised, showing mainly side roll and mainly forward roll.

Sumo

If you are bowling with no thumb make sure your gear is legal.

Naturally, this is all legal.
Currently, if the ball has a thumb hole, it must be covered by the palm of the hand. Otherwise the balance provisions are identical to any "normal" drilling.
If there is no thumb hole then a max 1oz top vs bottom wt is required, same as side wt finger wt etc. all measured using the bridge as the grip centre.

Have some interesting variations with no thumbhole including balls with three finger holes but no thumb or balance holes. Can then have the ball with pin above fingers, then turn the ball around and it is pin below fingers. Very versatile but don't forget which way round from frame to frame as they react quite differently.

Don't worry, have had plenty of self appointed experts tell me it won't work, but those who have watched this season are starting to take a lot more notice. One comment recently was who the heck is revving it like that?...Oh yeah, it's Sumo, figures ............ lmao!

Thanks for your gentle warning Leviathan
Sumo

Since when have you needed to cover it with the hand? If you arent using it as a thumb hole, it becomes a balance hole, the only problem then is if the ball is still legal in reguards to weights.

Leviathan
To clarify
1) If there is a thumb hole and a balance hole, then you need to cover the thumb hole with the hand
2) If there is a thumb hole but no balance hole then you have the option of covering the thumb hole or not.

In both cases the ball will be weighed in the same way as normal, find the grip centre etc etc

Tolerances for balance are the same as normal +/- 3 oz for top, +/- 1 oz for finger and for side.

If there is no thumb hole then grip centre is the middle of the bridge for a two fingered ball and centre of the middle finger hole for a three fingered ball. Balance allowances for finger and side weights are as normal, but top weight is reduced to +/- 1 oz.

Sumo

Back
Top Bottom