How to increase rev-rate

I don't agree 100%. Whilst what you say is true partially, there is no reason why one with less revs can't make an equipment change & play deeper. If anything, once the traffic moves inside, & the middle starts to wear out, revs are going to hinder a player unless they can throw the ball faster without loss of revs (like brendan Q or Matt R)

One also has the ability to change their release to accommodate for the changing conditions.

I was told that Pete Webber covers the most boards on PBA, but he uses axis rotation & ball speed, not revolutions, to gain his angle of entry into the pocket. Sure, this may be a loss of leverage or power, but stroking is about accuracy anyways.

Thats alright, you don't have to agree with me but the author of the article at the start of this thread does (just read the first 2 paragraphs);) .
While i agree its important to be able to change the tilt on the ball, a Right hand bowler still requires a minimum number of revs inorder to make these changes in tilt effective. Just ask Jarrod Lean why he learnt to bowl without a wrist guard.
As for the extra revs hindering a bowler I disagree. They allow the bowler to play deeper and use the left hand side lane oil to get the ball down the lane. By the time, stoker moves inside they are forced to play in an area that has already been worn out by the higher rev players
Just have a look at the top right handed male bowlers in Australia and the US. There aren't a lot of strokers in the list. I wonder why. Pete Webber isn't stroker so he doesn't count. The only two that i can think of offhand (apologies if i've overlooked someone) are Paul Trotter and Steve Hunt.

Dinesh

Thats alright, you don't have to agree with me but the author of the article at the start of this thread does (just read the first 2 paragraphs);) .
While i agree its important to be able to change the tilt on the ball, a Right hand bowler still requires a minimum number of revs inorder to make these changes in tilt effective. Just ask Jarrod Lean why he learnt to bowl without a wrist guard.
As for the extra revs hindering a bowler I disagree. They allow the bowler to play deeper and use the left hand side lane oil to get the ball down the lane. By the time, stoker moves inside they are forced to play in an area that has already been worn out by the higher rev players
Just have a look at the top right handed male bowlers in Australia and the US. There aren't a lot of strokers in the list. I wonder why. Pete Webber isn't stroker so he doesn't count. The only two that i can think of offhand (apologies if i've overlooked someone) are Paul Trotter and Steve Hunt.

Dinesh

I can think of some strokers in the US that do quite well. Norm Duke and Walter Ray are still killing it over there.

But back to the original artical posted by Tonx. It is some thing I always noticed the pros where doing when I watched the pba, but I did not understand why. I have been trying in practice to get my hand into this position for a long time, but with no success. After reading the artical I found that I could understand how you might to get to that release position.

Here is a picture of the winner of the Ultimate scoring championship. Mike Wolfe has the perfect position to create an ideal ball roll, revrate and projection through the shot.

Thumb is still outside the fingers, elbow is not locked completely, and fingers are just below the equator of the ball. This is the most fantastic position to be in to create a fantastic roll and a strong revrate.

article987_7060.jpg

Dinesh

Pete Webber is actually a power stroker but what ever. You also miss understood when I said high revs can be a hinderance on a broken down condition. There can be ifs & buts about it, but in the end, unless you have a plastic ball or a really light reactive, a dry lane is going to burn any ball out thats doing high rpms. (correct me if I'm wrong though, we're all here to learn)

I never once said that having high revs had no advantages, I'm just saying that if you can't put 500 rpm on your ball, people don't need to stress because it's not the only way to play well. And don't worry, you don't have to agree with me either, It's an open forum for a reason.

I agree with Troyza when it comes to high rev players struggling on broken down conditions. A few weeks ago i played on a lane that had a few bowlers who, in the block before hand, had been playing right in the middle of the lane, hence causing an extreme breakdown in the middle. Because of this breakdown and the sudden dry area in the area i threw my ball over to get it out to the edge, my ball would start rolling out as soon as it came into contact with the dry stuff. This as a result, gave me a game something along the lines of 140, when i average 180ish. Thank god for sparing.

It is pretty much just the rev rate.

I don't know if there are official numbers, but as a rough guide...

Up to 300-ish RPM, Stroker
300-400-ish RPM, Tweener
400+ RPM, Cranker

Other factors affecting release reaction include axis rotation and tilt. Then thre's friction between ball and lane and ball core dynamics, but that's a PhD thesis.

FYI - I've sepnt the last two years decreasing my rev rate! Today's balls and lanes are just too strong.

It is pretty much just the rev rate.

I don't know if there are official numbers, but as a rough guide...

Up to 300-ish RPM, Stroker
300-400-ish RPM, Tweener
400+ RPM, Cranker

Other factors affecting release reaction include axis rotation and tilt. Then thre's friction between ball and lane and ball core dynamics, but that's a PhD thesis.

FYI - I've sepnt the last two years decreasing my rev rate! Today's balls and lanes are just too strong.

so u mean to tell me im a cranker

im sad now

Back
Top Bottom