How to increase rev-rate

use 2 hands lol

Did you actually read the article?

It applies to both one and two handed delivery styles.

Thanks for posting that Tonx, that is possibly the best article I have seen to describe how to correctly "rev" the ball. It explains how the revs are generated so simply, yet clearly. To add to it, Randy Pederson remarked during the 2008 Pepsi Viper Championship, "Ametuers work the outside of the ball, pros work the inside of the ball." A bit of a generalization, but it works.

Did you actually read the article?

It applies to both one and two handed delivery styles.

Thanks for posting that Tonx, that is possibly the best article I have seen to describe how to correctly "rev" the ball. It explains how the revs are generated so simply, yet clearly. To add to it, Randy Pederson remarked during the 2008 Pepsi Viper Championship, "Ametuers work the outside of the ball, pros work the inside of the ball." A bit of a generalization, but it works.

Well, how many one-handed bowlers have a rev-rate average that's at 500 to 600 rpm? I rest my case....

I do? I have been clocked at 560rpm and can name quite a few 1 handed bowlers much better than me that have quite a bit higher revrates than me....

The AVERAGE PBA pro has 420rpm and not one of them throws the ball without a thumb in it.

What this article describes, is how to effortlessly increase your natural rev-rate without utilising the once popular cup/uncup method which requires expert timing and a very strong wrist and forearm. It does not debate the benefits and downfalls of the 1 or 2 handed delivery.

I do? I have been clocked at 560rpm and can name quite a few 1 handed bowlers much better than me that have quite a bit higher revrates than me....

The AVERAGE PBA pro has 420rpm and not one of them throws the ball without a thumb in it.

What this article describes, is how to effortlessly increase your natural rev-rate without utilising the once popular cup/uncup method which requires expert timing and a very strong wrist and forearm. It does not debate the benefits and downfalls of the 1 or 2 handed delivery.

Be that as it may, there's no denying that your rev-rate can jump up by a couple hundred RPM in a single bound when going from 1 hand to 2 hands. I know because I'm living proof of that.

With all those extra revs going 2 handed how much has your average gone up?
I started bowling 2 handed 6 weeks ago. Gonna give it about 12 months and see how things are going.
My average has dropped from 205ish to about 190. Yes I have more revs but now i have to relearn how to throw the ball (need to develop muscle memory). Sparing is different as i gone from sparing with a wrist guard to sparing without one so need to relearn this.
The other thing i'm having to learn is playing the deeper lines. I was pretty much down the boards before but now have to play across the lane.

You should stop posting, the more you do, the more clueless you look.

What? Have you been spying on me to see the expressions on my face? Rubbish! If anyone should stop posting, it's you because it seems like all you want to do is start an argument because you too much time on your hands. :p

i'm not meaning to start a fight here... but both sides do have good cases

2 handed is a way to get a higher rev rate..

but in saying that... without good technique bowling 2 handed, just like one handed... it will decease your rev rate

cause i remember chucking 2 handed when i first knew about it.. and i sucked... so i watched some videos... just did some basic technique changes and my rev rate increased but i decided to stick with 1 handed.. pretty smart actually

adding on something as well.... i have alot of ppl asking me, how do i increase my rev rate etc etc... 1st thing i ask... why do you want more revs...and sometimes i get this.... i dont know, its cool, so i say back

well look up walter ray williams jnr on youtube and see how much revs he has... and i get bearly any coming back lol

Revs only look pretty. Took me 2 years to figure that out, & ever since I stopped caring about revs, I've started bowling a lot of my PB's. But that's just me. A lot of people rip the cover naturally, 7 there for will naturally bowl well, because it's part of their in built technique

Sometimes bigger or more isn't better.

As for the two handed bowling thing. I have seen people attempt 2 handed bowling & decrease their rev rate, because they try & throw the ball instead of letting it roll off the fingers. Perhaps this is Shayne's flaw in 2 handed bowling? I'm sure he doesn't mind, he bowls quite well with one hand anyways, like many of us do.

On a stardard house shot, where there are dry outside boards and the length of the pattern is typically around 35-40 feet, extra revs don't make that big a difference....it will give a little extra carry.
On our house shot, I could bowl 3 games down the boards between 1 nand second arrow and not miss the pocket.....whether i carried, well that's a different matter.
However, when bowling tournaments on non-walled shots is where the revs make the difference. The down the boards 'stroker's shot may still be there early but quickly becomes tracked out forcing us to to either continue playing in this inconsistant area or make a big move deeper into the oil and play through either 3rd,4th or 5th arrow. THis deeper shot is also required to play longer patterns. When playing in this area, revs allow for sufficient entry angle into the pocket to carry and score.

Ps this applies to the RHS side of the lane. We all know how the LHS plays;)

Dinesh

The action I use to increase my rev-rate I suppose can be likened to cracking a whip. It involves slightly bending and straightening my elbow, and a snapping of the wrist. You should feel the weight of the ball transfer to the fingers, then snap the wrist to "flick" it off.

Since I taught myself this ation, I have spent the last 2-3 years learning how to "back off it". With the Atom Bomb balls these days, it's not needed as much. It does come in handy, but it help to be versatile.

Getting your fingers to the inside of the ball will help too. That way, there is a longer distance to cover in the same amount for your fingers to catch it.

To give you an example, I will show this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSCqNXtrXDs

However, when bowling tournaments on non-walled shots is where the revs make the difference. The down the boards 'stroker's shot may still be there early but quickly becomes tracked out forcing us to to either continue playing in this inconsistant area or make a big move deeper into the oil and play through either 3rd,4th or 5th arrow. THis deeper shot is also required to play longer patterns. When playing in this area, revs allow for sufficient entry angle into the pocket to carry and score.

Ps this applies to the RHS side of the lane. We all know how the LHS plays;)

Dinesh

I don't agree 100%. Whilst what you say is true partially, there is no reason why one with less revs can't make an equipment change & play deeper. If anything, once the traffic moves inside, & the middle starts to wear out, revs are going to hinder a player unless they can throw the ball faster without loss of revs (like brendan Q or Matt R)

One also has the ability to change their release to accommodate for the changing conditions.

I was told that Pete Webber covers the most boards on PBA, but he uses axis rotation & ball speed, not revolutions, to gain his angle of entry into the pocket. Sure, this may be a loss of leverage or power, but stroking is about accuracy anyways.

Back
Top Bottom