Pros and cons of wrist guards

I don't bowl with a wrist guard, and I don't intend to, but comments like this annoy me.
Boxing - wear gloves and strap their wrists.
Swimming - wear these new suits to aid their swimming
Motor sports - where do you start, computer assisted breaking, paddle shift gear changes ....
limited lunch time, so will leave the examples.
If it is legal, and helps people, let it go.

True Very True

I dont see what the big deal is.
Some people just arent strong enough.
Im a 28 yr old male.. I have to use a wrist brace and throw 14lb cos im not that strong.
Big deal.. get over it.. I have.. lol.

Those saying that only 1 of the top 20 in pba or what ever it is wears a wrist brace/aid.... then if everyone is so much better with out one why do people care if some one chooses to wear one? *shrugs*

Its not against the rules and people have been wearing them for a long time.
Surely there is something more important to argue about :rofl:

I currently bowl without one but have done so in the past. Just curious to find out what are the pros and cons of using them and what type of guard gives you the best results.
Poor Michael! We all got off topic to his original request!

Some devices push the index finger, increasing wrist rotation. Others cup the wrist, increasing revolutions by giving you more circumference around the ball to apply revs. Some hold the wrist straight or are adjustable, allowing you to change the reve rate a pinch. None of them make up for incorrect ball fit, training and practice, much of which can be done at home with an old ball.

As you've undoubtedly seen, different people get different results. Wrist devices will basically augment your release motion into something that you can learn to do without the use of one.

Try this exercise - If you push your (bowling hand) index and middle fingers against your opposing hand, you'll notice that your bowling wrist stiffens up as a result beyond a certain level of push. In fact, play a bit more with a bit of careful flexing of the wrist in both directions and you can set the wrist in a number of positions. This is harder to do while swinging a ball and walking, but you get the idea.

Devices that push the index finger can be replaced with developing strength in that side of the hand, which also helps you keep a straighter wrist as shown above.

NOTE - I'm not a great fan of devices that cup the wrist as I've seen people strain their fingers and wrist from the new loading they suddenly get. Treat them with respect.

Basically unless you have an injury, I'd recommend a bit of weights (wrist curls and arm exercises - Google it) and get some additional strength in a gradual fashion your body can adapt to. Most guys already have enough. (Practice the finger exercise above and you'll see.) Most girls can develop it pretty quickly. If you have an injury, get a referral to a physio to find out what can be done for it. Take control of the situation if you can!

Just take it easy to start with. Some extra strength never hurt anyone and the time it takes to develop it is negligible when you use your TV time to do it in. After all, watching TV requires less than zero effort; put it to good use!

Cheers and good luck with it,
Jason

Personally I think you are better off without them as they tend to soften the feel of the ball on the hand.
I use a wrist guard but I wished I didn't. I have an RSI type problem and if I bowl without one I am unable to maintain the ball position through to release without sudden pain causing me to almost drop the ball completely. I have also found some guards do not work for me so the one I use now obviously keeps my wrist and hand in just the right position that it does not cause me pain all the time, only occasionaly.
I often see young children bowling with them as young as 8-10 and whenever I can I suggest they learn to bowl without them.
As my son Andrew keeps telling me I should not need one with the 2 & half revs I put on the ball.:mad:............:D

Pros ~ What would Bradford and Honeychurch have achieved without theirs?

Cons ~ besides the expense and aroma, I don't know, I don't use one.

Rob

PS..I have a video of a match between Ryan Shafer and Bob Learn Jr, both are wearing wrist devices. I do not know if they wear them full time though.

A lot of pros wore them for $$$$.

Most of them wore a Wristmaster with the supports taken out. I remember Mike Durbin wearing a Kinetic Hand controller that wasn't even done up!

I'm sure we all hear that...
When's the "kneeguard" going to become a standard fixture in the sport? It can't be far off, I see plenty of people strapping up already (not that I have an issue with that, by any means)

My wife uses a Knee support (guard) when she bowls and has for years.
As for using wrist supports I've used one for years for the same reason as Terry.
Personally I prefer to see bowlers not use them but if they feel more comfort by using one and bowl for many more years because of it well then use them.

Thanks for that Jason,

Thats more along the lines of what i was asking. I bowled with one for a while after juniors and then decided to try without. I found that i actually had more control without a brace. I would like to develop my shot a little more with maybe a few extra revs but that will come with practice. I don't think i'd ever go back to wearing a brace but was just curious to find out more about them.

On a side note, this thread has created conversation... which isn't a bad thing. Pesonally, I'm not fussed if someone wears one or not. I don't think of it as an unfair advantage. The ability of a bowler does not come from the brace.

Cheers,
Mick

i have been using 1 for along time now but it is due 2 injury i have broken my wrist 4 times i tried 2 bowl without 1 and rebroke my wrist doing so how ever i i didnt need it i dont think i would use it but it is a personal thing i supose if its legal there is no issue only my opinion
cheers michael

Y'know, if anyone else claims they need a wrist device because they are too small and weak to roll a ball properly, I'm gonna post a pic of me with my shirt off.

The skinny things that look like chopsticks hanging off my shoulders are actually arms. Really.

well, all makes for some interesting reading and a variety of opinions out there.

the way i see it is this:

1. The govering bodies of our sport throughout the world have now and as long as memeory stretches, allow the use of wrist supports (approved types of course).

2. If you have to, or choose to use 1, so be it. It is i believe, a personal choice to use if you think you can gain from the use of one.

3. Especially good for people with past injuries, either wrist hand or fingers, allowing them to continue to enjoy the sport.

At the end of day, technological progressions in sport are becoming more and more rapid as every day goes by and you only have to look at the advances in swimming, especially recently with the new Speedo LZR suit, and see the records toppling by the hour almost.

If it going to benefit all, then i say go for it, having only recently having to use one and was previously a hater of them. If you feel it restircts your game, then don't use one, simple. If you feel you can gain some benefit from one, either via release, consistent rev, less rev, whatever, then go to town.

As a previous post has alluded to, Women do not have the Strength to Cup and Snap the Ball, unless they are Weight Lifters and is that what we want in our Sport, is that where we want to Head by making them Illegal. I know what your thinking? some of them look like Weight Lifters( only joking ). As I said before I have never seen Amanda Bowl without one even in practice, (is she still Bowling ) and how many 300's has she thrown 16+ first at 14 yrs, would she have achieved all her 300's and World Cup without her Mongoose.

The Strongest Ball Thrown by any Female I have seen is by Maxine Nable, she doesn't snap it, she had a 5 inch Span, but I noticed after Bowling in the States, then when she Bowled in Kuala Lumper her span had been Shortened to a more Semi Grip.

So what I'm saying that even with Strengthening Women cannot throw a 15lb Ball the same as the Men, otherwise they would be constantly Beating them but this could be good, we may get the game back on Telly like Netball as only the Women will be playing.

willey

Y'know, if anyone else claims they need a wrist device because they are too small and weak to roll a ball properly, I'm gonna post a pic of me with my shirt off.
The skinny things that look like chopsticks hanging off my shoulders are actually arms. Really.

Robbie that is just way too much information. However seriously I bowled for several years with a wrist guard and then quite a few more without one, but just recently I have had problems with my wrist to be precise carparl tunnel problems that now make it almost impossible and certainly painful to bowl without one. I would rather not have to but until surgery corrects the problem then I am stuck with one. On another personal note I read one of the posts in this section which indicates that people who wear a wrist guard are either sissies or prissie. Wether this is said tongue in cheek or not I am certain Mr Wchester that some people would tend to be insulted by comments such as that as I know I certainly am, I would suggest that you keep such comments to yourself.

First of all Jase is right, bit off topic, wrist guards have their uses, everyone knows the pros and cons, and my personal opinion won't change, yes they are legal to use and have been around for ever and day, BUT they do allow someone who for whatever reason cannot cope with bowling without one to compete at a higher level than they otherwise would. Its not cheating or even close to it, but kinda similar to teeing off the ladies tee in golf.

Yes, not everyone bowls seriously, people enjoy their bowling, and obviously if you don't regardless of skill level, then it is time to find something else to do.

People keep mentioning that technology progresses, but wristguards have nothing to do with keeping up with technology, their major function is to provide an aid to someones performance and they are not something that everyone requires, or can take advantage of for their own benefit, you strip a swimmer back to bare basics, they have a pool, and the goal is to get from one end to the other quicker than the bloke next to you, the fastest guy will win and this doesnt change regardless if everyone in the pool is wearing a suit or not. Wristguards have nothing in common with this. You take the same scenario with two bowlers one that wears a guard, one who doesnt, same ball, same lane etc, what do u think will happen to the guy who is used to relying on his guard when his technique goes out the window?

I will also use good ol Jez as an example, poor blighter was 30kg wringing wet when he was a junior, had the best concave chest to eat cereal out of and at the time was using a wrist guard that prob weighed more than he did, not to mention there was very little ball action going on. Not too much has changed in the incredible hulks stature, but due to time spent, developing his shot, strenghening and practicing with the help of Doc, he throws a great shot. It really just depends on what you want to achieve out of the game and what you want to spend your time doing.

Frank, if you had possibly watched Amanda a little more, you would have seen her bowl without a wrist guard quite a lot, practice, league, tournaments, there is very little variation in her shot with or without, the only assistance from the 'goose' is a bit of stability which as Jase has pointed out a few times, could really be developed with strength. The longevity may not have been there due to operations to remove cysts, but I really don't think anything really would have changed in terms of results.

In terms of girls strengths and supposed weakness, generally yes they throw very weak shots, but this is more due to lack of technique, lack of development and poor coaching, and this is a whole different topic.

There is no reason why anyone, if they wanted to dedicate time for development of their game to lament their size, strength etc.

Back
Top Bottom