Questions from Kids.. Anyone have good answers?

Hi Guys,

In last couple of days I have been asked two questions that I thought I would get everyone’s thoughts on as I did not know what perfect answer to give them or if there even is one. Here they are.

1. What makes different balls thrown by the same person rev at different rates?

So a bowler can throw a ball down the lane, it revs up or seems to have so many revs on it. Then the same bowler picks up a different ball, throws the ball the same way (same release) and the ball seems to not 'seem' have as many revs on it. So what does this?

Is it the balls core? The RG of the Ball? The Coverstock? The ball drilling? The lane conditions?

Then which ball do you measure the rev count off of, the ball that revs lots or the ball that revs lower?

2. Which is best? To bowl with a wrist guard on or no wrist guard if they do not want to do any 'power' releases? I.E they do not want to snap there wrist or anything like that they are happy to just bowl old school and say max out there revs at around 290. In this case should the bowler bowl with a wrist guard because then its less to worry about and is constant or you still go narh no wrist guard is the go?

Thoughts on these two questions please.

Thoughts on these two questions please.

1. In my experience some equipment didn't rev up well. I could crank the heck out of my old Messenger, but I never picked up a brunswick ball that I could hit up hard. Usually though I think it's mostly an optical illusion, balls with solid colour appear to rev slower because it's only the slug (and/or grips) that you can see, whereas something like my old Messenger that was blotchy turned into a blur.

2. I never liked the brace, and never used one in competition. A simple brace *should* introduce more consistency because it REMOVES something the bowler has to control themselves. Personally I'd rather use my own ability and have the essential options on wrist position when needed.

My understanding is that a lower RG ball has more of the weight of the ball distributed towards the centre of ball- further away from the fingers- giving the bowler more leverage and hence is easier to generate revs. The opposite would be true for a high RG core- more weight is located towards the outershell (and fingers) making it harder to generate revs. Think of it like a spanner, the lower the RG the greater the length of the spanner arm, the longer the spanner arm the easier it is to generate torque.

The drilling of the ball effects the core dynamics, the RG, the differential etc. The numbers that are quoted from manufacturers are BEFORE drilling . As soon as you put a hole in it they will change. This means the drilling of the ball can have an effect on the ability to generate revs the way i described above, but to what degree of significance i do not know.

The appearance of revs down lane can be affected by the length of the skid and hook phases of a ball. If they are really short the ball will enter forward roll really early, appearing to have very little revs. Both the surface of the ball and the drilling of the ball can affect the length of these phases.
The higher the amount of friction on the surface of the ball the quicker the rotational energy of the ball is burned off. This is where a highly polished ball might seem to be easier to rev than a dull ball at say 1000 abralon because it doesn't have as much friction with the lane in the initial stages of ball motion and retains rotation energy longer ( seen as revs down lane).

I would also take the measurements just after release, through the oil, so as to minimise the effect of lane friction and ball dynamics ball-to-ball.

This is just my understanding of it. I hope it makes sense to someone else too.

Back
Top Bottom