Wrist devices, fair or unfair advantage?

John_Velo

G'Day All,

I thought let’s put this argument out there after it appears to have become a topic in the “Rule Change” thread.

Chin mentioned a number of bowlers that are Australian bowling legends that wore a wrist device. I could mention a lot more prominent bowlers that did where the device.

So, I don't know where the argument started on wrist devices or why. They have been around for decades. Take Earl Anthony as an example.

Probably the big difference is that years ago they were fixed positioned. Those devices I don't really see as an advantage but more giving the person with wrist issue a chance to compete or the ability to be a little more consistent in their shot.

But the device that can be dialled in to a different setting, like a Robbie's Rev, is a different story all together, that could be classed as an advantage as you can hold a bigger wrist cup, yet at the same time a disadvantage as the bowler cannot go from cupped to un-cupped to give a higher rev release. Most that I watch bowl with these devices tend to wind them up to a big cup. To be honest for me, their roll looks un-natural and odd, lacking power.

What do you think, should they be allowed, or should they be limited. Maybe the rule should be you can use them, but must leave it untouched per block you bowl. just like changing a ball surface is not allowed changing the setting or taking it off for spares should not be allowed.

Thoughts any one?

I definately see the advantage of using one and one could see that as an unfair advantage with the newer designs having adjustable settings and some ever have forefinger supports aswell.
Giving the advantage of enhanced accuracy and consistency.

However, as it has been said many times by many bowlers. There is no secret membership to buying one. Anyone can use one, they would only be an unfair advantage if they were not available to everyone.

I also see others point of view on this. When some see it as bringing down the skill level of the game at a competitive level.

At the end of the day, every sport evolves and technology makes it easier to achieve better results.

Just look at todays golf clubs, hell, when I bought my new clubs I added nearly 40m on my iron shots. New tennis raquets produce more power, new soccer balls are easier to swing than decades ago. Olympic swimmers use body suits. Cyclists bikes get lighter and faster every year.

I think wristguards are here to stay. If you want to use it, so be it.

At the end of the day, every sport evolves and technology makes it easier to achieve better results.

Just look at todays golf clubs, hell, when I bought my new clubs I added nearly 40m on my iron shots. New tennis raquets produce more power, new soccer balls are easier to swing than decades ago. Olympic swimmers use body suits. Cyclists bikes get lighter and faster every year.

I think wristguards are here to stay. If you want to use it, so be it.

Unfortunately, wrist guards are probably here to stay, but perhaps as John pointed out, there may be modifications as to how they can be used and the type of actual guard used as well.

Toon, I think the sports examples you used above, don't quite highlight the importance the impact a wrist guard can have in the game. A comparison would be more like having a brace to use in golf so you can swing with your elbow bent or flexing at the best degree to optimize accuracy, drive and power or a brace for a cricket bowler to make sure their elbow is perfect etc. The other examples given relate more to the impact of bowling balls and improvements in technology of equipment, not a device to aid the execution of a sporting movement or delivery.

I personally don't think a wristguard should be used in any form of competitive bowling, or at worst, a non adjustable one.

Unfortunately there are bowlers who can't bowl without them through injury or for some other reason... I used one after wrist surgery and found that although my rev rate did increase, my ball speed dropped... having said that, I couldn't wait to be rid of it.

Even though the wrist brace may increase your revs, the brace itself doesn't make you more accurate... But there is a definite advantage to wearing one.

Speaking from Someone that has bowled both with and without a wristguard back when it was a solid chunk on your wrist and not a adjustable one. I feel if you have a weak wrist or injury it should be suitable. However some ppl just can't bowl without them. I Remember when bowling tourny's you would take it off to spare and wrist felt so loose as your hand is used to the brace.... I must admit l don't like them now haha can't bowl with them

John, No doubt about you mate !!!

I have always been a person, bowler, who dislikes wrist gaurds, The "robo cop" type and or the "solid index finger" ones, that "value add" to the shot.
I think they allow the bowler to do things with bowling balls they could not otherwise do on their own, without a wrist gaurd !
therefore in my opinion these type of wrist gaurds greate an unfair advantage or are "Performance Enhancing"

It is not a matter of "They are readily available for everyone to use" the fundamental issue is Bowlers choose to wear them to make the ball do things they can't.

If Bowlers have an injury you dont need one of these "performance enhancing devices" you only need a "wrist support" type wrist guard

Not sure anything will ever be done in terms of the "Rule Book", It might be toooooo hard.

Cheers
Geoff

Yet another thing in my DGAF basket. I worry about my own game, not what someone else is wearing on their wrist or if they have headphones in and so on.

I wouldn't call their use unfair..but i can truthfully say that I don't have a great deal of respect for the skill level of any bowler who uses one in competition.

Realistically, if you are strong enough in the hand, wrist and forearm to do things with a bowling ball that others need a wristguard to be able to achieve then you are on a level playing field with them anyway.
Even with a wristguard on, getting a higher rev rate than they would otherwise, the bowler still has to throw the ball in the same spot, the right spot, everytime to be successful.
You can wear a wristguard and throw it all over the place and not score, is that still an unfair advantage?
Would you want someone who throws 2 handed like Belmo to stop doing that because it creates a higher rev rate?

I personally will never use one, but I have the strength the whole way down my arm and into my hand to not need one to be able to do those sorts of things with a bowling ball.
To those that do use one, it doesnt worry me, it doesnt affect my own game.

My last thought is, George is the number 1 ranked bowler in this country. He wears a wristguard but thats not what has got him to wear he is. His technical knowledge of the game is insane and he knows what he has to do and his consistancy wins him tournaments. Its the ability to put the ball in the same spot over and over again that makes someone successful. Not the ball they use nor the other list of tools of the trade they have available.

Olympic swimmers use body suits.

To me this illustrates the difference. Body suits were banned because they allow the swimmers to do times they cannot with them off, ie they enhace the performance without the requirement for better skills or strength. Wrist prostheses are the only 'improvements' that substitute for a lack of physical training, conditioning or technique, all of which can be achieved through practice. In other sports, if you cannot physically do something because of strength issues, you either hit the gym or perform at lower levels. We are the only sport that allows this sort of strap on shortcut.

Respect is earned; we ban ipods, but allow strap-on muscles? No wonder the SPORT has image problems.

I'm hardly competative, but physically strong enough to swing a ball and I use one. I would prefer not to (personal preference), but I have some form of tendonistis from too many hours on the computer (yes this post isn't helping). The wrist guard does help my consistency, but more importantly takes pressure off my wrist and makes bowling enjoyable instead of bearable.

I have used one in the past...

Mainly to reduce my rev rate

Intersting point Andrew, care to elaborate on how, exactly, you reduced your rev rate with one of these? Was it just by "dialling down" the setting on the wrist guard?

PS: No sarcasm intended, 'tis a genuine question...

It lowers my rev rate, due to not being able to use my wrist.

I taught myself how to "whack" the ball. This video shows what a wrsit device would stop...

[video=youtube;JTST93bmREU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTST93bmREU[/video]

Having a wrist guard and not being able to change it during a game is just the same as saying you have to stick to one ball your not allowed to change to another ball becaust its different.

Our game of bowling is all about modifications and adjustments. Take that out and its not very competitive.

@androooo,
So you're saying, wearing the wrist guard, stops you from "whacking" the ball. Do you feel that change, for you, has been brought about by bowling only on THS? In other words, you're trying to elimante over/under reaction, that anybody with good "hand", gets on a THS?

I haven't worn one for the last 3 years... Mainly because I only bowl league now for fun, and couldn't give 2 hoots.

I used to wear one on conditions that your average gumby with a rev rate of 3 scored better on. I couldn't back off it enough, even with only putting my thumb and middle finger in the ball.

Perhaps if we are going to outlaw wristguards, then perhaps the PGA should go back to wooden clubs with metal shafts, professional tennis players go back to wooden racquets, cricket to small thin bats, NRL to old leather balls etc...

Bowling at it's core is an accuracy based sport, a wrist guard in no way shape or form will improve your accuracy, sure it helps with a more consistent release but if you are inaccurate you will be with or without a wrist guard. Olympic shooters and archers have all sorts of aids to assist their accuracy, but I don't hear them complaining.

If you're worrying about the person you are playing against wearing a wrist guard, then your mind's not in the right place and maybe you should focus a bit more on your own game.

I spent 25 years bowling without a wrist guard and the last 7 with one, and trust me I can leave an 8-10 with or without one :)

Perhaps if we are going to outlaw wristguards, then perhaps the PGA should go back to wooden clubs with metal shafts, professional tennis players go back to wooden racquets, cricket to small thin bats, NRL to old leather balls etc...

Bowling at it's core is an accuracy based sport, a wrist guard in no way shape or form will improve your accuracy, sure it helps with a more consistent release but if you are inaccurate you will be with or without a wrist guard. Olympic shooters and archers have all sorts of aids to assist their accuracy, but I don't hear them complaining.

If you're worrying about the person you are playing against wearing a wrist guard, then your mind's not in the right place and maybe you should focus a bit more on your own game.

I spent 25 years bowling without a wrist guard and the last 7 with one, and trust me I can leave an 8-10 with or without one :)

Steve, Steve, Steve, lol, :slap_1gtk: the sports you mentioned above, is equipment based ie they would relate to improvements in ball technology, pin technology, lane and oiling machine technology. None of those adjustments in the sports above promote an advantage or disadvantage in an individual player of those sports being able to adjust their technique to obtain a higher performance outcome. If everyone used wooden shaft golf clubs, it would be like everyone having to use urethane only balls.

Your second example, you have used sports where wrist braces, arm braces are a deadset requirement for those sports, every competitor uses one because stability is a core part of their sport. In bowling, a wrist guard is usually used to improve performance or increase performance output to obtain a higher result.

Again, my personal opinion, they shouldn't be used, but of course that is easy for me to say as the only time I have needed to use one is to cut my ball reaction down. I am sure a stability styled brace/guard would be ok if people really need to wear one, but the adjustable ones should be goneski! ;)

Back
Top Bottom