Preparing Your Bowling Equipment - Part 1

J

jeremydenhartog

Preparing Your Bowling Equipment - Part 1
By Jeremy Den Hartog
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are a number of things to know when it comes to preparing your bowling equipment. Perhaps one of the most important, yet often overlooked bowling equipment preperation step, is to never store or transport your bowling ball in the trunk of your car. In the summer months car trunks become ovens, in the winter months they become freezers. These temperature extremes dramatically affect the performance of your ball, especially durring the first several frames you bowl. Ideally you want your ball to be at the room temperature of the bowling center your bowling at. A ball that has been exposed to hot temperatures will hook earlier and more dramatically while a ball that has been exposed to cold temperatures will tend to skid down the lane. Also, putting your fingers and thumb into an excessivly hot or cold ball can make them swell or shrink considerably making you loose the vital "feel" of the ball and regaining that proper feel could take as long as 1 or 2 games.
There are, however, temperature fluctuations that you can not control. For example, the room temperature of the bowling center your at may rise and lower as large numbers of people arrive and leave. So what to do to compensate for these uncontrollable temperature fluctuations? Well, you could tell all of the people that are at the bowling center they need to leave and then lock the doors, or you could use bowling tape. Perhaps using bowling tape would be the more socially acceptable sollution.
Because feel is vital to executing a smooth and consistent release, every possible step should be taken to bring consistency to the finger and thumb hole specs of the ball. As play unfolds, your fingers or thumbs are likely to swell or shrink as your body heats and cools, making it necessary for you to add or remove tape from the finger and thumb holes on your bowling ball. This is why it is highly reccomended that you take the time prior to bowling to add or remove tape from each bowling ball that you plan on using until each ball feels identical. Doing so should help with your consistency.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is part 1 of a several part article that I'm working on. I will probably post additional articles here or you can always check my website (link in signature) for additional articles

Thanks for that Jeremy and welcome to the site, feel free to post any other valuable information that could be a help to us all.. Enjoy!!

Thanks Jeremy I found that really interesting and am looking forward to the next installment.

Lyndon

Back
Top Bottom