Couple of tips...

RobbieB

Rodentus scientificus
...that might be of use to some people.

Sweaty hands - if you have trouble with sweaty hands, keep a can of antiperspirant spray in the bag, and spray your hand before you bowl. (this is one of those 'duh' tips that's obvious after you hear it)

Vinyl slugs and tape - ever notice that tape often moves or gets/leaves a sticky residue in vinyl slugs? Paint the inside of the hole with clear nail polish - problem solved (test on the slug first to make sure the solvent in the polish doesn't dissolve it - the ones i have tried are OK, but YMMV). Also, putting a layer of ordinary masking tape down first and adding bowlers tape over the top makes it easy to remove, and stops residue in the hole too. If you don't like slugs (like me) a layer of nail polish stops the resin in reactives making the thumbhole sticky or slippery, too.

Grips: If your fingers swell up and down a lot, go up a size in grips, and only glue the front & sides. The grip can then be tightened up by sliding a thin piece of business card down the back between the grip and the hole. Remove it when your fingers swell up.

Rinsing bowling towels in methylated spirit seems to make them pick up oil better than just washing in water & detergent. Don't know why. Don't smoke while you do it.

Slowing a delivery

Recently i got an Ebonite Tornado and apart from day 1 when i bowled slower without thinking, i had been bowling too fast and it hadnt been able to mix the pins to my liking. A friend had been telling me to slow it down, but with a naturally medium/fast delivery it wasnt easy to do without thinking about doing it, which meant i wasnt thinking about other things...like hitting my spot.

Last week, i experimented and found a good way to naturally slow a delivery while not concentrating on slowing my back swing. I moved my starting position about 1 foot forward. i found that my steps are the about the same but my swing is slower.

It works bowling slow with this ball, i had been struggling with about a 170-175 average in recent times, but since the change i have averaged 185+ and am expecting more once i have the ball a bit longer. My whole swing is much smoother and my delivery on the lane is far more accurate.

Just thought i would add that small tip here :) :eek:

Rob, u r my saviour!!!! As a dumbass pommie bowler, I often had trouble with a sweaty bowling hand. But your ''d'uh.... '' tip is really quite effective. So i tried some anti-perspirant and my bowling hand is drier than a nun's......you know what! I always blamed the distinct lack of air con at my bowling centre for my little problem but since reading your tip I now know that not 2 B the case!!!! If you have any pointers on bowling 300 consistently let me know, as i would come in handy!!!

Thanks chap

The Space Cowboy

Hey Space Cowboy
Trust the Professor( Robbie) to know what to do about sweaty hands but Robbie whats your advice about sweaty CRA-KS

Cheers Kerri

Hey Thumpa!

Think I could probably help ya out there: Join a convent, you'll soon have a cr*ck drier than a pub in the sahara!!!!!

Laters

Space Cowboy

Hey Space Cowboy!

Thanks for the reply but the question was not for me it's for all those poor fellas out there who suffer with this problem when they bowl in tournaments sometimes its very noticeable so it's a little hard for them to join a convent so what could you recommend ??? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Kerri
If I ever suffer with the problem personally, maybe that might be worth a go

Cheers Kerri

Howdy Thumpa

Apologies for the crossed wires there with regard to your sweaty cr*ck query, I obviously misunderstood the context of your original question!!!!

As a recommendation to this "dilemma", I have a number of possible solutions:

1) Get the fellas in question to try anti perspirant down there. Ok, they might get a case of "Ring Sting", but at least they'll be dry (not to mention sweet-smelling!)

2)Get them to wear overalls (or boiler suits- I don't know what you aussies call them) It may not cure the initial problem, but it won't be noticeable in tournament match play.

3) When watching blokes in tournament matchplay, try focussing perhaps on the game or indeed another part of their anatomy that might not be as sweaty!

4) Ever seen the film Nuns On The Run? ( Living proof that men can indeed get into a convent)

Hope these pointers are of some use 2 U- cos failing that I ain't gotta clue!!!!

Laters mate

The Space Cowboy (Your pom agony uncle) 0X

Tips

Sweating profusely is a real problem in bowling - some bowlers suffer incredibly. If you are a sweater - towelling wrist straps so you can wipe your forehead - chillers that you wear around your neck are effective - for the underwear - avoid nylon or synthetic undies always go for pure cotton (do not buy blends) - and take a change of fresh gear with you during long tournies and keep putting the dry gear on - best way to manage the prob.

Gail

Hey Thumpa,

Trust you to notice where the men sweat during tournaments :D

I have found that freeballing helps this ailment quite alot. That way it not only reduces the sweating but also any associated chaffing and redness.

I must say it also very liberating bowling in a tournament , knowing that there is nothing underneath. I was first introduced to this method while bowling in a Friends of the Earth tournament at Byron Bay a couple of years ago.

I will see you in Cairns, and expect that you will be looking at me in a whole new light :D

Funky Chicken :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hey Funky Chicken :lol:

Its not like I make it a habit of looking but as Gail said unfortunately for some people it cannot be helped I just thought that maybe some one had a solution to this problem and I guess you have just come up with a suggestion that could help some people out but after disclosing such personal information I will never be able to look you in the face again :roll: 8) :eek:

See Ya Soon
Kerri

Hey Thumpa!!

U still going on about that little problem? :?

Back
Top Bottom