Plastic Ball Event - Would You..?

Would I bowl in a plastic ball event?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jason_doust

The Bowling Geek
Hey Sport Series Fans!

I haven't canvassed anybody (except Adam Goldberg at lunch today) about this and thought I would throw the idea out there. Would anyone be interested in a plastic ball tournament at some point?

There are special low volume patterns available to suit plastic balls on the Kegel pattern library, so your plastic ball would turn more and hit better than usual.

As another twist, how about a maximum number of plastic balls, say, 2 or even 1 ball only if people like!

I think it would be fun to bring it back to serious basics for a day.

Cheers,
Jason

i'll be up for that jase, would be good to see who really is acurate out there, and i'm not one of them...lol

Just for the record, I'm voting yes, on a low volume pattern, as I suspect a normal pattern would become impossible and get a lot of stuck balls from carry down in the machinery.

A yes from me if there is enough games to warrant the trip. 2 balls. Good excuse to see my sister up there.

All balls would need to be the same. Like the tournament Belmo bowled in recently.

Maybe a ball company could come on board and help out.

Rob

I think one plastic ball would be fine, low volume pattern was also my vote. I dont see the need for a ball company to come on board for this one.

If you wanted to do something with a ball company i would suggest a one ball tournament (which Jason and I also discussed at lunch) where everyone has the same ball from the same company. This concept has been run overseas before, from memory i think it was Roto Grip in England, and from what i heard it was alot of fun.

Let's go the whole nine yards. 1 Ball. Mushroom weight block. Drilled centrally over the weight block. Any oil pattern.

If we want to know if it's the bowler above all else, let's go!

I'm saying yes because I don't use a plastic ball at the moment at all :D Haha, nah, I have one and would be keen to try this. Certainly adds a new level of challenge and fun :)

yeah i would be intrested in this type of thing, post the time and date and i am there

The one ball tournament in Europe last year was a 900global concept using a symmetrical core and older solid reactive coverstock.

A plastic tournament eh? That would mean those who had shotmaking ability and a good solid release would win. We can't have that at all! :D

Ok.

I've been watching this thread with very eager eyes. I love this idea. I am yet to discuss it with Dad but I assume he wouldn't have a problem with it. What Plastic Ball to use? Well, as far as I can tell, they are all pretty similar. I can try and see if anyone would help us out, but the bowlers might have to subsidize the cost with their entry fee. Lane #1's XXXL would not be allowed for the stated reasons, but good question Sam. All major brands pastics, to my knowledge are pretty much the same, with the exception of the XXXL, so it would be up to you guy's if you wanted to make a stringent decision on that, remembering we aren't the PBA and would probably not get a sponsor to donate 60+ plastic's.

I would say the pattern would also be a low-volume pattern. It's a throwback to the day's of old, and the patterns were definitely a lighter volume then.

I would be happy to restrict the amount of plastics to 1 or 2, but no more. 1 would be ideal as it makes it much easier for everyone to access. Including myself. I currently don't own one in Australia.

I'm definitely watching this and taking everyone's ideas in. We'll keep it in mind and see what happens. I think it'll be later into the year until this could happen. But we'll keep it in our minds.

Great idea guys! Remember this is YOUR Series, so keep these ideas coming.

Cow

Does it need to be the same ball? That's ideal, but seems financially unfair to most of the players. I was thinking of just picking up some old relics in the ball museum rack, personally! (I can think of three off the top of my head!)

Besides, I have WAAAY too many bowling balls and don't want to buy another just now. (Speaking of which I'll be posting some for sale soon...)

Really jason you have to MANY BALLS! I thought that honour went to Blissett. I think this is a great idea count me in.

Chris

Hi All,

Great idea. I worked with the ladies national team and the youth national team a couple of years ago and we laid a modified Kegel pattern designed just for plastic balls. The results were amazing. I worked with Ted Thompson from Kegel so we could get the pattern just right and it was great. The plastic balls were rolling like old school Urethane's.
My only advice would be when you see a suitable pattern don't be scared off by the length and volume, as many will think there is no way there is enough volume or length to hold up for an event. But there is.

If you need a hand with a pattern I am happy to help as I have a couple on file.

Seeing a plastic throw scouts is an amazing site.

James

Back
Top Bottom