PBA WSOB - First time perspective

jk12x

BowlingStatsManager.com
Having just finished my first WSOB, I thought I would share some thoughts on this amazing experience. For those that are not aware, WSOB offers an amazing opportunity to bowl 4 events (for $750) plus flights to Vegas - on 4 different patterns, against the best bowlers in the world.

It is one thing to see these guys on TV, but to actually be bowling alongside and against these guys all at the same time, is another.

In terms of lane conditions, to say these lane patterns are tough are an understatement (I knew this would be the case going in). That as well as bowling with and along side bowlers I grew up watching (Walter Ray Williams, Norm Duke, PBIII) as well as the stars of today, Tom Smallwood, Ryan Machuga, Ryan Ciminelli. Nerves definitely played a big part for me at the start.

Folks let me tell you these lanes are WET. With very little area. As well as this, you had to really watch for transition and make correct ball choices to keep the balls in play (this is what I struggled with). With the amount of power the professionals are putting on their shots, the lanes change quickly - within a matter of shots, and being able to read and understand this is critical.

It was also great to see first hand, the support that the sponsored bowlers get from their coaches and drillers. This is a serious business and having access to this wealth of information plus so many balls on immediate access placed those bowlers at a distinct advantage. (It is their living - they have to be good at it - and they are !!!).

I had the opportunity to pick up some of the latest gear and for the most part, stayed using my Mastermind and Melee - these look to be great balls and I can't wait to get back home and throw these in our tourneys.

I would encourage anybody that has dreams to bowl to at least bowl the world series of bowling at least once - and do it early !!! The experience of meeting and bowling along side the best bowlers in the world is one that can only make you better.

Personally, I was lucky enough to bowl with one of the Brunswick sponsored bowlers, Tom Smallwood. Tom bowled great all games and will be in a couple of the TV shows. And is a hell of a nice guy to boot. To get a little insight as to what it takes day in day out was great. I also bowled with Ildemaro Ruiz who was one of the top qualifiers in the Cheetah event - he also bowls a great shot. Both guys were great to talk to and very kind and generous with their time and words.

Looking at my scores, I knew this would be tough and to be honest I'm not really that disappointed. Nerves were a big factor for the first few games but I have gained an experience and confidence moving forward that I expect will bring better results when I get home. Sure I missed a few shots, plus a few silly spares, but it's all part of the experience and one I will have forever. I have more highlights than disappointments and the memories will last a lifetime I am sure. Of the Xtra frame shows, I believe I had a 236 game which will be great to get home and record. That said, after 4 days (28 games), I am a little mentally fried and looking forward to a week of R&R.

I would like to thank all of those who have been following and sending kind thoughts and words. As well as Ron and Leanne Warmington, who have been there every shot supporting (and sometimes laughing along) at and with me :). There are a few others who have helped this dream become a reality that I should also mention:

Paul Delany - Thanks for believing in me and helping get me started.
Brunswick bowling - The best bowling company in the world (watch out for the Mastermind and Melee - these balls are awesome)

And lastly to my darling wife, Fiona King - for letting me follow my dreams - though so far away. (Skype is a wonderful thing). Home soon baby and can't wait to see you and our babies xxx

Australia has some great bowlers and I encourage all bowlers who have dreams to bowl on the big stage to follow them and have a go !!! It is an experience of a lifetime - and it is like nothing you have ever bowled or experienced in tourneys at home.

Cheers
Jon King

Congratulations!!! I think the presure is not just from bowling next to some of the greatest bowlers in the world but also from the crowds in the back and also the cameras that is all over the place too.

Great post and well done on your achievements. It is good to know what the experience was like.

I am tempted to look at doing the same thing next year or in 2015.

Well done on your trip you are going to be buzzing for a few months and hard to beat with all that bowling and info you have picked up.
I also would like to know are you or any of the others planing to go back and have another go and if you think the 2nd time round you will be in with a show with what you guys have learnt.
Well done and great to see some of us are stepping up to the plate to have a go.

great post jon, I envy you bowling alongside legends of the game, im getting coaching currently from paul delany and the guy knows his stuff, is passionate about the sport and takes pride in bowlers achieving their goals and potential.

Great post. Congratulations on giving it a go, memories live forever. Positive thoughts and posts are always great for this magnificent sport of Tenpin Bowling. Well Done Jon!

Cheers
Christian

Reactions: CT
Great post mate.

Congrats on your performance in what is the toughest patterns, tournament on the planet and the against the best on the planet. I would love to do this in the next 2-3 years, finances, equipment and possible backing permitting.

I personally am very proud of you and all the guys who went over and think you will all only benefit from the experience. Like I said to Matt on FB, I would have an exercise book full of notes, ball used, game numbers, lines etc... to take into the brain for future reference.

I hope you are having a great time and hope we can have a chat about it all when we catch up next.

Have fun

Jase

Back
Top Bottom