Most 300's in a Victorian Centre?

Why do some Centres have lot's of 300's?

• Just lucky

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Lanes are a bit easy

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • Lots of top bowlers bowl here

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • All the above

Votes: 41 45.1%

• Total voters

Gary

What centre has had the most 300's?

And why?

Gary..................:cool:

Ps: Yes a poll............................:rolleyes:

Simple explanation really...

Its too easy nowadays to get your ball to the pocket. That being said you still need to carry at least 12 shots in a row (in case you start a string before a new game!)

Back before I became half decent you needed a combination of skill (to get the ball into the right area) and luck (to carry for the whole game). The first element is hardly a challenge on the typical house shot.

I take nothing away from those who have successfully bowled 300, however my kudos goes to those who have done it the hard way.

i have been involved in close to 100 - 300 games as a tech

i voted for all variables.

LUCK

at burleigh heads i watched ian hughes bounce a ball into the approach, hit light and have the 2 pin fall backwards for his 10th 300 game

jim ferguson missed the head pin in one of his many perfecto's

LANES ARE A BIT EASY

i have run some ditched houses, and had varied results, not every walled up centre produces high scores, there are so many varibles to getting high scores, but have already written a post on here years ago, in regards to what exactly causes it and aint getting blisters on my fingertips doing it again

LOTS OF TOP BOWLERS BOWL THERE

the utmost important variable, at the end of the day it doesn't matter how much luck, how easy it is, it still needs a high element of skill to bowl a perfecto

in regards to gary's question, in quantity the answer would have to be caboolture

but then theres the amount of 300's per lane, i know squashbowl used to hold this record, not sure if it still does though

and surely last of all, the average 300's per year as to be considered, some centres have been open for 30 years to get maybe 10 300's where others have got this in the first 12 months

and like craig said ""however my kudos goes to those who have done it the hard way."" i agree 100%

totally different level of bowling on pre reactive and on flatter lane conditions

i'm interested to see what comes up in this forum

Great topic...
It seems these days 300 games are far more common than perhaps they were 5 years ago, and 5 years before that, and so forth. You could put this down to alot of things, but technology has had alot to do with it.
The introduction of things like the synthetic lane, the "kegel", and the constant improvements in high performance bowling balls has much simplified our game.
I believe there was a time when you had to be a pretty crash hot bowler to bowl a 300. Now days, its pretty regular we see 170-180 ave bowlers throwing 300 games. I agree with craig, making the pocket isnt the challenge, its the carry factor thats the keeps our game from becoming a cakewalk. A tech may be able to ditch up a centre and even improve pin action across a centre, but they cant guarantee carry.
The day a tech can guarantee il carry a ten pin will be the day i give it away, lol.
I bowl in a centre where there have been just 3 300's bowled in the 30 years the centre has been open. The introduction of synthetic lanes to our centre hasnt improved averages across the board as i suspected it would, but it has increased the prevelance of high games. It took 20 years for our first 300 to be bowled on the timber. Our first 300 on the synthetic was bowled just 6 months after they were installed, and i was lucky enough to be the first. And there will be many more to come in the coming five years.
Dan

Technology is I think the main reason for the increase in 300's.
Today’s tech Balls are holding energy longer and hitting harder allot harder.
It's producing more pin action, more carry more 300's
This is also giving a wider range of people the chance to score bigger.

But the other side is no matter how good the Tech gets there is still that % of skill you need to throw a 300, and no one can take that away from you.

I think the next step is to make the pins heavier to bring back some balance. The balls are getting stronger and hitting harder the poor old pins are still the same.
That's what I think anyway.

Frosty:rolleyes:

Technology is I think the main reason for the increase in 300's.
Today’s tech Balls are holding energy longer and hitting harder allot harder.
It's producing more pin action, more carry more 300's
This is also giving a wider range of people the chance to score bigger.
But the other side is no matter how good the Tech gets there is still that % of skill you need to throw a 300, and no one can take that away from you.
I think the next step is to make the pins heavier to bring back some balance. The balls are getting stronger and hitting harder the poor old pins are still the same.
That's what I think anyway.
Frosty:rolleyes:

Hey Dan,

No disrespect to you and to all my fellow bowlers that have bowled 300's but yes, skill is involved BUT the question is how much? Balls these days just have to be thrown off your hand to the lane and it does the rest. I have seen, including myself miss my target and still see the ball end up in the pocket for a 300? What does that mean?

Back in the old days where I've learned to bowl, accuracy was the key and to this day, my accuracy is still not 100% but you get away with it with these new balls as they give you a bigger room for error.

My thoughts anyway...

Leo

Colac - open now for over 40 years. Only 1 x 300 and that was in the mid 1960's (1965 i think)

I would love to know how to bowl a 300, my avg isnt all that good at 130 so i need to improve for that to happen.
I congratulate those who are successfull in reaching the 300 milestone and hope to see many more to come in the near future.

Technology is definitely the main reason for the increase in 300 games. When reactive resin bowling balls were introduced in 1991, 300 games jumped by 24,000 in the USA for that year alone. A similar thing happened in 1984 when urathane balls became available.

Hey John,
Chaddy only has 2 I believe, one is mine.... :) :)
Leo

Yes Leo but not taking it away from you it was during practice and michael wilson also has one there the highest score bowled in League from my memory there is a 298 which is mine and thats 2 years old. Unless someone has rolled a 299 since then well good on them.

Yes Leo but not taking it away from you it was during practice and michael wilson also has one there the highest score bowled in League from my memory there is a 298 which is mine and thats 2 years old. Unless someone has rolled a 299 since then well good on them.

Hey Chris,

Likewise, not taking anything away from your 298, but the title of the post is 300... :)

Leo

Back
Top Bottom