Looking at starting a bowling magazine

weggy

Not sure if this belongs here but anyway...

A friend of mine and I are working on a bowling magazine that we hope to bring out every two months. The idea is basically to combine news and information about the bowling world into a single periodical. So far we have a few ideas about the content but we need assistance from those higher up to make it a success.

What I am asking for is if anybody has comments or suggestions, or wants to put forward some much needed assistance to make this happen, please do so. A number of other sports/hobbies have dedicated magazines and we feel that bowling should be the same.

You guys should speak with Brett George as he tried this awhile back. I am sure that he would give you guys some valuable hints.:cool:

Isn't that what this site does.???? Maybe before internet that was a great idea, but now with the internet its a thing of the past

The thing is Jase, you can't really read totalbowling when you're travelling on the train, you need internet access, besides, a Magazine would be a great idea, with good contributors writing quality articles, and loads of infor on tournaments and ball reviews, it would be a great idea.

If you need help guys, I'd be happy to lend a hand.

Ash said:
The thing is Jase, you can't really read totalbowling when you're travelling on the train, you need internet access, besides, a Magazine would be a great idea, with good contributors writing quality articles, and loads of infor on tournaments and ball reviews, it would be a great idea.
If you need help guys, I'd be happy to lend a hand.
just an idea, a magazine could work very well in conjunction with this website. The best ball review/s could be published in the magazine and things like that.
While for most of the people who visit this site the web is probably first choice for our information on bowling and other interests the fact remains there are still alot of people out there who dont use the net often or arent aware of totalbowling, a magazine could reach those people and even boast awareness of this website.

I agree with Jase.
This site provides all the lastest news and information from Bowling all over the world. All the latest articles of interest seem to find their way on to here via a thread, the information is virtually in real time and it's interactive!
The TBA website also provides official and very up-to-date information on tournaments, rankings, rules etc.
I cannot see how a Bowling Magazine would be able to provide more than what these sites provide and it's free.
I have no doubt that in these days of hand held PDA thingys and the modern mobile phones that you probably could browse Totalbowling whilst travelling the train if you wanted. (although maybe not for free!)
Just my opinion
Graeme

If you really want to go down that route, then Bob Cook is the guy to talk to. TBa could put you in contact with him. He ran "Pin Action" magazine in the 70's to early 90's which was a world standard publication. I believe he still lives on the Central Coast of NSW, but I no longer have contact details for him, but he also has done some publications for ATBC/TBA and I believe AMF as well.

There is always room for print media no matter what everyone may think. Only bowlers now have access to Total Bowling so any way to help get our product out to the masses is welcome. A magazine can be left around a bowling centre. No one can simply pick up a copy of Total bowling lying around now can they. Total bowling is not useful unless you have internet access and are looking at it. It doesn't help bring new bowlers into the sport and that is what we so desperately need.

I have no problems with a magazine. Its great news that someone wants to produce it, all i am saying is that between all the sites we have on bowling all the information is now first hand. Yes to sit and read a magazine is fine, but if information provided was from the websites in question (which i have no problems sharing with anyone) its like reading last weekends sports article in the paper. Not real interesting after you have already read it once is it? Not to mention I think internet is very much a house hold item these days.

To get sponsors to help offset costs as we all know is very hard to get, and to try and provide something like you are for FREE is also impossible. As I have found as others already know, if a bowler can get it for free why they would pay for something they now get for free.

Good luck and I will help where I can.

Hi Guys
I am of the opinion that there are only 2 complete series of the Pin Action mag still around. I would hate to think that this great local mag could be lost. Can somebody with the ability please do something to save this mag from extinction. Be it transfered to disc or whatever. I believe Bob Cook has a complete set and Sean Gothe has told me he also has a set.
I dont know the legel ramifications of this but gee would be a shame to loose it.
I suggested to Pete Coburn a while back that it would make a great fundraiser for national teams. Transfer the pages onto disc and sell them. Like i said i dont know if its copyrighted but i know i would buy one. To much of our history of tenpin bowling is being lost through lack of forthought.
Of topic a bit but feel it needs to be talked about.
Phil

The Totalbowling magazine...that has a nice ring to it. I think that it'd be a great idea to bring out another bowling magazine, to run along side such things as this site, and the AMF 'What's The Score' magazine. I think it'd give our young and old achievers yet another chance to be recognised, as well as let more and more people know what's going on in bowling in a different way. I'm always looking around for more news on what's going on in the bowling scene, and another magazine may get stories that may not have been told before recognised and acknowledged by many.

Bubye

Rowey :p

I would have to disagree with those that say the all the latest news and information is available on this website and some others. The reason i say this is because there is a lot of information that isn't published on this website.

This website only covers certain tournaments (and they are only scores), and there maybe some information about Australias top bowlers such as George F or Belmo (what about the other bowlers in this country).

The answer to this is that if you were to include such information on this website it would be extremely clagged with information and extrememly slow trying to access it and probably wouldn't fit on the WWW.

I think that a Bowling Magazine would be great for the game and would help in getting this SPORT recognised. If a magazine was to be published I think it should have things like: Reviews of equipment, interviews with top bowlers and up and coming bowlers, tournament results or well known tournaments as well as smaller tournaments, etc etc.

Ultimately what goes into such a magazine would depend on what the publishers want to put in there as well as available information. I also think that if such a magazine is published the publishers should work closely with governing bodies of the sport as well as maybe reviewing some website on the net. This is so that information that goes into such a magazine maybe exclusive and not found on any website or maybe an expansion of information found on the net where not much depth has been taken into such an issue.

Also the one thing that would be good about getting a magazine would be being able to read the magazine from start to finish without having to read all the: Crap, back stabbing, garbage, put downs, mis-interpritations, and bitching that goes on when reading through websites like this one.

Last of all, if a magazine is produced, maybe if it is successful the publishers could strike a deal or something with the likes of TBA on a national basis and have for every copy sold a percentage or monetary value or something go to TBA for the purposes of helping to subsidise costs that are incurred by the country's state bowlers (Shield, Rachuig, and De-Veer).

Just my Thoughts!!

DAVID SNIEDZE

A couple of years ago I worked with Lynne Clay (TBA) to try to get media outlets to help raise the profile of Tenpin Bowling but to no avail. I know that Lynne tried and tried to get newspaper coverage, as it does for other sports like the various footy codes (obviously not as broad), but with little to no success. I know that Lynne always sends copies of media releases to all media outlets, again with little to no avail.

The Bundaberg "NewsMail" is the only newspaper I know of that regularly prints ALL league scores and often has write-ups of local success stories. This certainly raises the profile of the sport locally and the centre is nearly always full of league and social bowlers. To top it off, all bowlers are made VERY WELCOME by the OWNERS and staff.

To produce a "nationwide" magazine with good write ups of regional personal profiles and information, state information and national information would serve as a good service to bowlers but not so much for outside in the public arena. It may attract some social bowlers to leagues? Add international information and the magazine would be even more serviceable.

To make all this happen, there needs to be advertisers to support costs and profits. I think that is where things would fall into a heap. I don't think that there would be too many paying subscribers either.

"What's the Score" is only available at AMF centres which are small in number compared to private centres. I haven't read one for years and I would hazard a guess that most country bowlers would never have heard about it.

I feel there is a need for something along the lines mooted and I would subscibe and be available to help out where possible (at no cost).

Feral

Well guys this is great. Thanks for all the comments.

Could I get details of how to contact people like Brett George (edfleming's previous post)? And who would I have to talk to about getting Totalbowling's support on this issue?

Also, I was wondering if you could answer a few questions to help us decide how to manage the mag (if it gets up and running...) I know some ideas have been put forward already but the more we get, the more variety will be in the finished product:

* A price you would be willing to pay
* Would you prefer subscriptions or just to buy it 'off the shelf'
* Interesting ideas for content.

Anything else you can add would be much appreciated

total bowling support is jase, good luck there lol lol lol

A price, well me personally I wouldnt pay anything as I find what I am looking for here, or on other bowling sites.

weggy said:
Well guys this is great. Thanks for all the comments.
Could I get details of how to contact people like Brett George (edfleming's previous post)? And who would I have to talk to about getting Totalbowling's support on this issue?
Also, I was wondering if you could answer a few questions to help us decide how to manage the mag (if it gets up and running...) I know some ideas have been put forward already but the more we get, the more variety will be in the finished product:
* A price you would be willing to pay
* Would you prefer subscriptions or just to buy it 'off the shelf'
* Interesting ideas for content.
Anything else you can add would be much appreciated

Price: whatever it costs :D
Subscriptions options, as well as shelf purchases would be nice.

Content?
Ball layouts
Editorial New Ball releases and reviews
Results
league results section
Honour scores section
Competitions (free games bowling, vouchers, etc etc...)
National tournament Bowler Interview of the week/month (depending on the frequency of the publication
Tip of the week/month
Letters to the editor
People can send in questions asking for advice

And of course, to help keep costs down :D
(a bonus point for who said this quote...)

"Advertising is the single greatest form of education in todays society"

Whatever it costs? Damn I wish every1 was as easygoing as that! What exactly do u mean about a league results section tonx?

Monitary Value is a perception based apon the individual. If people can fork out thousands of dollars for a piece of toast with the lords image on it, im sure I could spare a few extra dollars for a magazine if its going to be of 'value'

Another quote (same person)

"We buy mainly not because of want or need, but because the product is percieved as good VALUE!"

In regards to your clarification section:

A section where leagues have the OPTION to send in results of high games, wins, ladders, bowlers of the week etc etc... This could result in league being taken more seriously than what it currently is in the eye of the general public.

I used to be heavily involved in the content side of a very successful national publication, and would be more than happy to help if this mag is designed as a public medium to get the 'bowling as a sport' message out better. Even if this publication is able to recruit 1 more bowler to our sport, then it has succeeded!

Another section: Classifieds :D

Jase said:
....but if information provided was from the websites in question (which i have no problems sharing with anyone)....
If you're happy to share, why remove read only access to the General Forum for non-members?
With regard to a magazine, I feel more people would read each copy than would be bothered to look Bowling up on the net, and waiting rooms (doctors/dentists/hospitals) spring immediately to mind. Bowling would reach far more people in print than it does on the net.

mongoliantreesloth said:
If you're happy to share, why remove read only access to the General Forum for non-members?

Fred,

This isn't the post to bring this up in... If you care to PM me i will explain.

And you would be very surprised as to why... and it's not for the reasons you seem to think..

Back
Top Bottom