Lack of revs

I am a 190+ bowler, and have bowled for many years, but I have trouble getting under the ball in my follow through to release.

I seem to "top" the ball, which leads to lack of roll, and revs.

Can anyone give me an idea of what I need to do to change my action.

I have exactly the same problem. For me, it was caused from growing up in Sale back in what i would call the 'dark ages'. When i first started, anyone with revs on their shot could not keep their ball on the lane. Consequently, it was almost a crime to have revs, as no matter how the ball was delivered, it would still have huge hook, even if it was purely forward roll.

These days it's hard to find lanes that bad, thankfully! Now i'm in Melbourne though, and i'm left with a very weak shot which is useless on anything but dryish house conditions. I don't expect to rip the cover off the ball, but i too would love to know of any common ways to have a more powerful shot. My guess is it's a complex issue, so perhaps it's best to seek out a coach.

Crawf

I know exactly what you mean. I have bowled the same way for so long, without coaching, I find it hard to do any change to my style.

It is terribly frustrating to not do a "simple" thing of keeping behind the ball.

I will get some coaching, and see if I can change. If anyone else out there has had the same problem, and been able to rectify their bowling, please let me know. Hopefully I can work on some things before I can get to a coach.

if you find you can't stay under the ball, its usually caused by having delayed timing.

if your late on your pushaway you will feel the urge to pull the ball backwards, thus creating your thumb to turn in

also if your late from the top of the backswing it will cause your elbow to tuck out, thus causing you to start round arming or topping the ball

power comes from being advanced in your timing, so the earlier the pushaway the more chance you have of implementing power into your game

hmmm, when I started finger-tip bowling, I could get about 10-12 revs. I wasn't too sure on how to get more, so for that time I just bowled like that

As I progressed and improved with fingertip, I got a few more revs and by the time I got to shield roll-offs in 2002 i had about 12-15 revs (it doesnt seem like much of an increase, but I can assure you it is).

The best way to get around the ball and increase your rev rate is to let your fingers and your wrist do the work. The best way to do this is when you get to your slide or step, as your hand is about to go past your knee, your thumb comes out first and try to tuck it in your hand. You should be holding onto the ball with just your finger for about .75 seconds (you should also still be behind under the ball, if not, its alot more difficult and you'll top the ball). As your doing this, its just a quick 45-90 degree turn of the wrist and you'll get the ball to rev.

Thats how I was taught how to rev the ball, and my rev count is pretty high now. I hope this helps in some sort of way, but if not, its best to ask a coach for help, as Crawf said.

Guys - Thanks for your help.

I currently wear an arm brace. Does that help or hinder the release, and what are your thoughts on the positioning of it. :?:

Hi David
Obviously there are a lot of variables involved, wrist guard included. I personally use one because i have a weak wrist, but some people just like the feel of it and get used to it. But i think really the main issue is keeping a relaxed shot.

I got some tips today and changed little things, like holding most of the weight in my left hand when i set up for the shot, keeping a relaxed arm swing, and the biggest change was the amount of lift off my fingers. When i got all of these variables working, the the difference was amazing in terms of my power. Good luck with your coaching. It's amazing how even though you know the little things, it helps so much to have someone there to remind you and keep you on track!

Thanks Crawf - I will try the things you suggest. You are right. It does help to talk over things..

I am currently working on my timing. I think "chucky" had it right. I am through with my shot before I get the chance to plant my foot.

Sooner or later, with a bit of help, I will work it out.

David

Back
Top Bottom