Finger Holes

Bigsy

Bigsalis
Hai Guys

I was wondering if anyone has had finger holes drilled with one slightly above the other for more hook. The reason I am asking is beacuse my ball (No Mercy) tends to straighten up fairly early and doesn't have much back end.

I was thinking by offsetting the finger holes, I could throw a wider line with more revs and have a harder hitting back end ball.

Am I being realistic here, or is this a stupid idea.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Most people have a longer ring finger span than middle finger span. A quick check is to measure the difference in length of your fingers at the first joint line (for conventional) or half way between the two joint lines (for f/tip). If the difference is zero, the spans should be about 5/16 different. As the difference increases, the spans get closer together, at 5/16 difference thay should be about the same.
Remember that this is just an estimate for average hand sizes and shapes. Also, remember that too long a span will hurt revs as much if not more than one that is too short.

On edit - if you lay your hand across the fingerholes with your thumb all the way in the hole the front edges of the fingerholes should be half way between the first and second joint lines. The spans may be a little longer or shorter than this, but the first joint line of both fingers should be about the same distance past the edge of the holes.

thread hijack:

i just noticed my newly drilled ball has a hole in the bottom of one of the finger holes, looks to be aligned with where the pin dot is. is it an issue that the finger hole has drilled into it? looks like a cavity in a tooth at the bottom of the finger hole.

Bigsy, most balls are drilled with the ring finger further away because it "is" further away from the Thumb and for no other reason.

They can be drilled with a "Drop Ring Finger" or "Sarge Easter" technique, which will alter the break point of the Ball.

But in your case I would probably just Polish the ball, the finer the polish the later the snap.

Now you haven't told us if you have a Conventional Drilled Ball or Fingertip, this will help us to help you.

willey (36 year veteran Ball Driller, with Certificate and level 1 Coach.)

thread hijack:

i just noticed my newly drilled ball has a hole in the bottom of one of the finger holes, looks to be aligned with where the pin dot is. is it an issue that the finger hole has drilled into it? looks like a cavity in a tooth at the bottom of the finger hole.

Shouldn't affect the ball at all. Especially if it's down low. The trouble with drilling into a sphere is that all points converge at the centre, so everything gets a lot closer together down there. :)

Thanks Jason.
Appreciate your responce.

On another note, after having bowled around 8 games with the new ball im feeling im not releasing it very well.
I feel like the thumb hole is a little to far from the finger holes and i seem to get some pain in the thumb. The ball is also rolling different and there is an oil line that shows the ball rolling between the finger and thumb holes... any idea on what im doing to cause this?
Its never been a problem in the past or am i right and the thumb hole is slightly to far from the fingers casuing my hand span to be too big.

Thanks Jason.
Appreciate your responce.

On another note, after having bowled around 8 games with the new ball im feeling im not releasing it very well.
I feel like the thumb hole is a little to far from the finger holes and i seem to get some pain in the thumb. The ball is also rolling different and there is an oil line that shows the ball rolling between the finger and thumb holes... any idea on what im doing to cause this?
Its never been a problem in the past or am i right and the thumb hole is slightly to far from the fingers casuing my hand span to be too big.

As a responce to myself in case anyone else has a similar problem in the future.... i got it plugged and re-drilled about a 1/4 inch closer to the finger holes reducing the span.... proceeded to throw 2 practise games and averaged 208.... i think the problem is fixed. :)

Back
Top Bottom