i need a bigger back swing!

hi guys i just got back into bowling after a couple of years but really need some help on my swing.

it is the same as before very short back swing with moderate follow-through, i still get plenty of revs but kills my arm after a couple of games.

when i try to increase my back swing all my timing, revs, and accuracy is lost.

my goal is to get my arm up to at least horizontal but still be able to come through and get my revs. i have tried many a time but always fail!

Couple of questions Triksta...

Firstly can i ask why you feel you need a bigger back swing?

Also why do you think a bigger backswing will stop your arm from hurting?

The pain you feel could be from returning to bowling after a long lay off, your thoughts? and what part hurts?

This thread could go in many directions and to put it simply its very hard to assist with technique on a forum when no one has seen you bowl.

Best bet... ask around for a coach who can assist you.

But dont get hung up on huge backswings, everyone is different. Its important to find where you fit into the scheme of things.

Pain could be from where your hand is positioned for release. Try adjusting the position to see if this reduces pain.

Just a thought. ;)

i figured with a smoother backswing using the weight of the ball for speed might take the soreness away. its the bicep doing all the work atm. i think a coach would be my best option, will try to find a good one in newcastle area.

I'll bet your thumb hole is too big. What you're describing are classic symptoms of somebody knuckling a large thumb hole. When you squeeze too hard, your backswing can't extend as the amount of muscle required seriously inhibits a free swing by locking up the shoulder, bicep and forearm.

You may be able to fix this with tape or a slug! Off the top of my head, Peter Zambelis or Geoff Bowness can help you there. And possibly with coaching too.

House balls have a lot to answer for. I often see guys who grip too hard and too long with a thumb hole that's too large asking for it to be opened up even more because they now have to grip it so tight. The scenario gets worse until they get something they can barely hold on to. Then they get some instruction on how to release a ball and they need a snug thumb fit or quit bowling.

I wonder how many players we've lost to poorly fitting gear over the years?

Cheers,
Jason

funny you should mention Peter Zambelis. he just drilled my new roto grip ball with a thumb slug. he really knows his stuff. i chose the thumb hole size though accordingly to what i thought was comfortable. maybe it is too big, i have never considered it to be the problem. i do have to hold onto the ball so i will try the tape idea and see if this allows the ball to sit firmly without holding.

so let me double check something,
the thumb should be relaxed at all times during the swing and release?
because mine sure is not!

thanx for the advice so far guys its giving me some things to try, hey jason, im gonna try get back up to bathurst again i remember playing the mrd engineering tourny up there with you and was a ton a fun. are you entered this year?

You're welcome.

Your thumb should have about a firm handshake's worth of pressure. You're still holding on to a heavy rock there. Your pro shop guy or gal can fit you a ball for that day. It's your responsibility to tape it up accordingly from there. Anyone who says they never use tape has never really known a good fit for more than a few days each year. And remember the tape goes in as such;

1. Round end up so you don't dag the corners.
  2. White tape on your gripping face - centred off the centre line of your thumb's gripping face
  3. Black tape on the sliding face - centred off the centre line of your thumb's back face, not necessarily diametrically opposite the white tape.

Yep, I'll be there. And Orange too. Two of my favourite events all year. Come over and say G'Day.

It has been a while since this thread but i think i have improved and still getting better. i realised that my swing wasnt very high because i was starting the swing too late therefore needed to shorten the back swing otherwise i would run out of approach and have to rush the release. i am now practicing starting the swing motion a step earlier which takes a bit of getting used to but when i do this properly i dont need to rush the release and seem to be getting my hand in a better position to create more power. My question is, with the 5 step approach when do most people start there swing motion? for me now its on step 2.

Yeh step 2 is right in the 5 step approach. The most efficient step procedure for 5 step is Short-Long-Short-Short(powerstep)-Long(slide). I was never told this until it was pointed out to me by Geoff Sara when i did my level 1 coaching in Feb this year.

I was going Long short short short long. Which was inhibiting my swing. The proper sequence really freed things up ...... when i do it properly.

There was a really good Brian Voss clinic video on youtube a while ago. I think it has since been taken down, but he talked alot about the 5 step. He says that on your 2nd step you will have the ball pushed out at full arms length with both hands still on the ball, and let gravity take it all in one fluid motion. Ball will pass your legs on step 3 and reach the top of the backswing on step 4.

the speed of your swing plays a part in it aswell. The most important part is being at your backswing peak on step 4 and ready to move into the slide and release. Diffeent speeds and body builds will accomplish that by fine tuning that pushaway.

You can also adjust your swing timing by holding the ball higher and lower in your stance. For example holding the ball higher in your stance ... say chest height, will retard your timing, meaning the ball has move travel time and will arrive later after your final step/slide. Same as if you start it lower in your stance, about waist height it is more likely that the ball will be ready to be thrown before your body is ready at the foul line.

Like i said we all play different and are built different, but those are ways to adjust your timing without consciously changing things in your normal routine like speed/revs/tilt/rotation. Sometimes the simpler the better!

Back
Top Bottom