Just why does Melbourne have 3 majors?

jason_doust

The Bowling Geek
In another thread, my old doubles partner from juniors raises an interesting point...

Melbourne Cup I get. It's a great tournament and obviously belongs in Melbourne. (Even if the NSW Open was run in Canberra once but let's not go there...)

I think the Australian Open has always been a Melbourne event too. But why has the SPC been mired in Moorabbin for so long? When will it return to it's rightful home in Sydney?

Y Doesnt the Australian Open and SPC Move around to a Different State Every year? It would be Fair to all the Interstate Travelers!

Ash

In another thread, my old doubles partner from juniors raises an interesting point...
Melbourne Cup I get. It's a great tournament and obviously belongs in Melbourne. (Even if the NSW Open was run in Canberra once but let's not go there...)
I think the Australian Open has always been a Melbourne event too. But why has the SPC been mired in Moorabbin for so long? When will it return to it's rightful home in Sydney?

In fact, I beieve originally the SPC was held all over Australia. (I will stand corrected if wrong) I believe it did travel in the early days, but was settled at Bankstown fairly early in the piece. The AO has always been in Melbourne, for as long as I can recall. Now I don't know if Melbourne should have fewer majors, or maybe Sydney should get off its backside and have MORE!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Anyway, the SPC's "rightful Home" is closing down in a fortnight

I think the original Australian open in the 70's was at Rockdale at one stage. Be nice if SA could have more than one major too, bring back Village Open!!!

I thought the SPC originally started in Melbourne back in the 60's, then moved to Metro/Bankstown, then Rushcutter, then back to Melbourne.

Thanks Web! Let's hope word has it right. Word was last year it was going to Highpoint too. We'll wait and see. Sydney (Australia's largest city) is under-represented when it comes to tournaments.

(Funny, I thought this thread would have been a little more hotly debated.)

Problem is it takes a lot of effort to organise a tournament and arrange sponsorship etc.

People get off their butts and arrange things, and they happen - as against other people sitting around asking why it isn't happening for them.

i have a question to ask:
why would the organisers or promoters of these majors or even the proprietors of centres want to move any of them or stage a tournament in Sydney when committment is a huge problem for Sydney based bowlers?
look at the recent Bathurst tournament and the number that committed and then pulled out. how can anyone possibly consider organising any tournament in our biggest city with this sort of history. is it any wonder there are no longer any tournaments around the Sydney area.
organisers and promoters and proprietors need bowlers to attend or they go elsewhere and that is what is and has happened.
until the bowlers in Sydney realise this then no one is going to put anything on in or move anything back to Sydney.
look at the trouble Cowman is having getting sports series running consistently.
just my thoughts
cheers
Shoey

Word has it that the SPC will be returning to Sydney next year to the new bowl at Strathfield.

WEBBER this word would be correct and then the following year to QLD. I spoke to a AMF Manager and was told it is going to travel again.
So for those interested pack bags for next year to NSW.:plane::hemiCoupe:
Jeanette

Where do I begin for Victoria....
F1 Grand Prix
Melbourne Cup (the horse race that stops the nation!)
Aust Open Tennis
Aust Masters (Golf)
NRL Premiers
AFL Premiers
Hey Victorians, what else can be added to this list?

Back
Top Bottom